screen porch standing water

Old October 5th 07, 06:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default screen porch standing water

hi, bought a new house here in FL, I have a long screen porch with
aluminum around the bottom, about 1 inch..
when it really rains I end up with a lot of standing water in one
corner.. I am thinking of drilling 2 holes, one on each side of corner
to drain.. any one know a better way??
thanks
Jack

Old October 5th 07, 06:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Oct, 13:45, "
wrote:
hi, bought a new house here in FL, I have a long screen porch with
aluminum around the bottom, about 1 inch..
when it really rains I end up with a lot of standing water in one
corner.. I am thinking of drilling 2 holes, one on each side of corner
to drain.. any one know a better way??
thanks

What is the floor of the porch made of? If it's non treated wood,
here's my concern:

If you drill a hole, you'll be exposing the unfinished interior of the
wood to the moisture as it drains through. You might end up with rot
fairly soon.

What's a lot of standing water? Is the amount of water going to be a
problem under the porch?

Mr. Obvious says: The optimum solution would be to prevent the water
from entering the porch in the first place.

Old October 5th 07, 07:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 1:58 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 5 Oct, 13:45, "
wrote:

hi, bought a new house here in FL, I have a long screen porch with
aluminum around the bottom, about 1 inch..
when it really rains I end up with a lot of standing water in one
corner.. I am thinking of drilling 2 holes, one on each side of corner
to drain.. any one know a better way??
thanks

What is the floor of the porch made of? If it's non treated wood,
here's my concern:

If you drill a hole, you'll be exposing the unfinished interior of the
wood to the moisture as it drains through. You might end up with rot
fairly soon.

What's a lot of standing water? Is the amount of water going to be a
problem under the porch?

Mr. Obvious says: The optimum solution would be to prevent the water
from entering the porch in the first place.

thanks, it is a ground floor, poolside porch, with tile floor, and
alumiun around as frame... and after the last few days of heavy rain,
it was as deep as the bottom soport, about an inch, and an area 4
squair tiles... I know water will get in, but it cant be good to have
standing water for days on grout and stuff....

Old October 5th 07, 07:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

standing water for days on grout and stuff....- Hide quoted text -

I'd be even more concerned about drilling through the tile, exposing
the adhesive and subfloor to moisture. It might be possible to drill a
hole large enough for a drain of some type, complete with pipe, so
that the water never hits the subfloor. You'd need to seal around the
top of the drain so the water only went into it, not under it, but it
would be doable.

Old October 5th 07, 07:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 2:33 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

wrote:

[...]

would be doable.- Hide quoted text -

I guess I was not clear, I am thinking of drilling 2 holes in the
aluminum bottom support rail, on both sides of the corner post.. not
in the tile, that should give the water a lower place to drain to..

Old October 5th 07, 07:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

in the tile, that should give the water a lower place to drain to..- Hide quoted text -

I can't see it from here, so I can't comment on your proposed
solution. Perhaps a picture or 2 might help.

Old October 5th 07, 10:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 11:38:05 -0700, "
wrote:

I guess I was not clear, I am thinking of drilling 2 holes in the
aluminum bottom support rail, on both sides of the corner post.. not
in the tile, that should give the water a lower place to drain to..

What I hear you say is that the tile went in after the enclosure. The
frame rest/fastened on the concrete pad. You need two weep holes at
the low end; to drain water. You can drill two holes, imo.

--
Oren

"I didnít say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."
Old October 5th 07, 11:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I guess I was not clear, I am thinking of drilling 2 holes in the
aluminum bottom support rail, on both sides of the corner post.. not
in the tile, that should give the water a lower place to drain to..

What I hear you say is that the tile went in after the enclosure. The
frame rest/fastened on the concrete pad. You need two weep holes at
the low end; to drain water. You can drill two holes, imo.

--
Oren

"I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

dont know what weep holes are, but there are no holes in it plugged, i
am thinking of doing what oren sez..

Old October 6th 07, 12:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I guess I was not clear, I am thinking of drilling 2 holes in the
aluminum bottom support rail, on both sides of the corner post.. not
in the tile, that should give the water a lower place to drain to..

What I hear you say is that the tile went in after the enclosure. The
frame rest/fastened on the concrete pad. You need two weep holes at
the low end; to drain water. You can drill two holes, imo.

dont know what weep holes are, but there are no holes in it plugged, i
am thinking of doing what oren sez..

A weep hole; like a drain, similar to tear duct sp in the eye.

Drill from the inside, just at or above tile level - towards the
outside at a 45* down angle.

I "sez" what I sez and I'll sez it again.

--
Oren

excused from saving Universes."