Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED Lighting for Over Sink?

Hi, the fluorescent strip light over my sink is going and I am thinking
it might be a good time experiment with LED lighting. I need enough
lumens to light up the sink for washing with no other light on. A dim
setting would be nice too. Looking for suggestions on if this is
feasible and worth it. Thx, Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

IMO, led lighting is not there yet. They still haven't been able to create a
nice white light, and although they last forever and cost little to operate,
they're wicked expensive to buy. At this point I'd use Xenon

wrote in message
Hi, the fluorescent strip light over my sink is going and I am thinking it
might be a good time experiment with LED lighting. I need enough lumens
to light up the sink for washing with no other light on. A dim setting
would be nice too. Looking for suggestions on if this is feasible and
worth it. Thx, Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

IMO, led lighting is not there yet. They still haven't been able to create a
nice white light, and although they last forever and cost little to operate,
they're wicked expensive to buy. At this point I'd use Xenon

I agree. LED lighting is far too cool (white). Xenons have a nice warm tone.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in
:

IMO, led lighting is not there yet. They still haven't been able to
create a nice white light, and although they last forever and cost
little to operate, they're wicked expensive to buy. At this point I'd
use Xenon

Define "nice white light"....

I've seen both "warm white" and "cool white" Luxeon LEDs,of sufficient
power if used in multiples.

wrote in message
Hi, the fluorescent strip light over my sink is going and I am
thinking it might be a good time experiment with LED lighting. I
need enough lumens to light up the sink for washing with no other
light on. A dim setting would be nice too. Looking for suggestions
on if this is feasible and worth it. Thx, Dan

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 11:47 am, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
wrote:
Hi, the fluorescent strip light over my sink is going and I am thinking
it might be a good time experiment with LED lighting. I need enough
lumens to light up the sink for washing with no other light on. A dim
setting would be nice too. Looking for suggestions on if this is
feasible and worth it. Thx, Dan

I replaced mine with a bathroom like fixture that uses 4 40 watt bulbs.
It takes more energy but only time it is used is for only a few minutes
a day. Otherwise I have 2 cfl's in the main kitchen fixture which is on
a lot. You have to balance cost with energy savings. No sense putting
a lot of money into something expensive or tough to service.

Frank

I do not believe the LPW is any greater than a T8 with electronic
ballast, for 15$ get a new unit with a soft white bulb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi, the fluorescent strip light over my sink is going and I am thinking
it might be a good time experiment with LED lighting. I need enough
lumens to light up the sink for washing with no other light on. A dim
setting would be nice too. Looking for suggestions on if this is
feasible and worth it. Thx, Dan

I replaced mine with a bathroom like fixture that uses 4 40 watt bulbs.
It takes more energy but only time it is used is for only a few minutes
a day. Otherwise I have 2 cfl's in the main kitchen fixture which is on
a lot. You have to balance cost with energy savings. No sense putting
a lot of money into something expensive or tough to service.

Frank

I do not believe the LPW is any greater than a T8 with electronic
ballast, for 15$ get a new unit with a soft white bulb.

LEDs do last for a long time, however,
white LEDs get their white from
added phosphors. They are generally a
blue LED with an external
coating that glows white. These don't
last forever. White LEDs generally
give out quicker than a pure LED. I
have warm white T8s under my
cabinets. That's my preference. I
think cool white looks too commercial,
but some people like it and, I think you
can actually see better with the
cool white. The fixtures are mounted in
the 1" space on the bottom of the
cabinet. I built a 1/4" cover with a
cut out for the light, under all the
cabinets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hi, the fluorescent strip light over my sink is going and I am thinking

it
might be a good time experiment with LED lighting. I need enough lumens
to light up the sink for washing with no other light on. A dim setting
would be nice too. Looking for suggestions on if this is feasible and
worth it. Thx, Dan

I agree with RBM. There currently are few, if any standards for LED's.
Each manufacturer has their own version and interpretation of performance.
What you buy today may not be compatible in a few years. I have installed
the Xenon a number of times and customers love them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Seems like it would glow yellow, since combined with blue this
produces white.

BTW, I have a few "color changing" LED holiday lights. These have both
blue and yellow LEDs. When both are on, they look white.

These don't
last forever. White LEDs generally
give out quicker than a pure LED. I
have warm white T8s under my
cabinets. That's my preference. I
think cool white looks too commercial,
but some people like it and, I think you
can actually see better with the
cool white. The fixtures are mounted in
the 1" space on the bottom of the
cabinet. I built a 1/4" cover with a
cut out for the light, under all the
cabinets.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , RBM wrote:
IMO, led lighting is not there yet. They still haven't been able to create a
nice white light, and although they last forever and cost little to operate,
they're wicked expensive to buy. At this point I'd use Xenon

Xenon lamps for household use are merely a premium kind of incandescent.
They are only slightly to somewhat more efficient than decent quality
non-xenon incandescents of same wattage, voltage and life expectancy.

- Don Klipstein )

2 way lighting. Matthew UK diy 2 October 1st 07 11:17 PM
Installing Laundry Sink in basement, do I need a sink pump? [email protected] Home Repair 8 February 19th 07 04:22 PM
kitchen lighting: track system with pendant lighting [email protected] UK diy 4 October 30th 06 11:02 PM
Removing a sink stopper to clean sink trap Brian O Home Repair 2 March 3rd 05 11:08 PM
kitchen sink problem: want single-flow crosstop deck sink mixer... but height clearance limited james UK diy 6 March 30th 04 02:43 PM