Posted to alt.home.repair

Default septic tank & coffee grounds

Is it advisable to put coffee grounds in septic tanks?

I have heard that coffee grounds do not decompose.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

newman wrote:
Is it advisable to put coffee grounds in septic tanks?

I have heard that coffee grounds do not decompose.

Thanks.

Who knows. But it is just plain stupid to put anything in septic or
sewer that can be thrown in trash.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

NO, and i agree with Frank, why would you want to?

"newman" wrote in message
Is it advisable to put coffee grounds in septic tanks?

I have heard that coffee grounds do not decompose.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"newman" wrote in message
Is it advisable to put coffee grounds in septic tanks?

I have heard that coffee grounds do not decompose.

Thanks.

T.P. and human waste. ** Nothing** else. Yes, you have to clean the toilet
but forget about the blue or the white tablets in the water closet. That
crud is hard on the bacteria.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 11:44 am, "newman" wrote:
Is it advisable to put coffee grounds in septic tanks?

I have heard that coffee grounds do not decompose.

Thanks.

Why put them there? Best place is to spread them in a garden, flower
bed or compost heap. If not that, then in the trash.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote:

T.P. and human waste. ** Nothing** else. Yes, you have to clean the toilet
but forget about the blue or the white tablets in the water closet. That
crud is hard on the bacteria.

Which is exactly right in theory, but you have to make *some* allowances in
practice if there are women between the ages of 12 and 60 or so in the house.

Having just installed an $18K super computer controlled septic system that would
seem to be able to handle a minor metropolis and having survived some rather
graphic negotiations with the SO, dropping a few bucks every year or two to get
the waste tank pumped out seems a fair trade...

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can't go wrong with the original approach:

If it's not turds, shower water, urine, or dishwater, put it in the trash.

Septic is for septic, trash is for trash.

Simple, really.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:

You aren't saying that they flush tampons, are you? Come on, all of us
females over the age of 10 know NOT to do that.

Not the applicator, but yes, the used tampon... Not a high volume item of
course.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 9:33 am, Rick Blaine wrote:
h wrote:
You aren't saying that they flush tampons, are you? Come on, all of us
females over the age of 10 know NOT to do that.

Not the applicator, but yes, the used tampon... Not a high volume item of
course.

?! I can't tell you what a bad idea that is. Someone has to learn a
new behavior pattern, that's all.

As far as the coffee grounds, like another posted, toss the grounds in
the garden - plants love the stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 11:44 am, "newman" wrote:
Is it advisable to put coffee grounds in septic tanks?

I have heard that coffee grounds do not decompose.

Thanks.

You can put all kinds of organic matter in a septic tank. People with
septic tanks have garbage disposals after all. You just have to have
it pumped out more often. It's not rocket science. Ignore the
hysterics.

Google septic tank pumping chart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote

??? You aren't saying that they flush tampons, are you? Come on, all of us
females over the age of 10 know NOT to do that.

What planet do YOU live on? Here on earth, it is a common practice. Any
sewage treatment plant in the US will verify this.

Of course, what you wrote was a joke, right?

Haha.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/1/2007 9:25 AM h said the following:
"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message

what's that got to do with it? Please don't tell me they flush sanitary
products. THAT is a #1 no no.

"Rick Blaine" wrote in message
news

Which is exactly right in theory, but you have to make *some* allowances
in
practice if there are women between the ages of 12 and 60 or so in the
house.

??? You aren't saying that they flush tampons, are you? Come on, all of us
females over the age of 10 know NOT to do that.

But the trouble comes when the manufacturer says they are flushable.
http://www.playtexproductsinc.com/femcare/beyond.asp
My house has a septic system and when there are barbecues or other
gatherings, females are embarrassed to put them in the trash pail next
to the toilet. I'm almost tempted to put a sign in the guest bathroom
telling female guests to not flush them.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/1/2007 11:35 AM mike said the following:
On Sep 30, 11:44 am, "newman" wrote:

Is it advisable to put coffee grounds in septic tanks?

I have heard that coffee grounds do not decompose.

Thanks.

You can put all kinds of organic matter in a septic tank. People with
septic tanks have garbage disposals after all.

I have a dry well separate from the septic system, The only things that
go into the dry well are from the sinks and bath/showers (grey water). I
have no disposal. I don't see a need for a disposal since we dump food
waste in the compactor right next to the sink.
The only food that gets into our dry well is whatever can squeeze
through the drain strainer.

You just have to have
it pumped out more often. It's not rocket science. Ignore the
hysterics.

Google septic tank pumping chart.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
??? You aren't saying that they flush tampons, are you? Come on, all
of us females over the age of 10 know NOT to do that.

Sewage treament plants have to remove the "non-biodegradable" items from
their filters regularly: parakeets used as potholders, monkey legs, a 52
Nash, Glock pistols, entire sets of encyclopedias. You'd be surprised.

Heck, I found a (neatly folded), used, Pamper in a shopping cart at Walmart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ya, but, did you flush it?

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Heck, I found a (neatly folded), used, Pamper in a shopping cart at
Walmart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 11:39 am, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:
YA BUT, people with septic tanks SHOULD NOT use the garbage disposal.

"mike" wrote in message

oups.com...

You can put all kinds of organic matter in a septic tank. People with

septic tanks have garbage disposals after all. You just have to have
it pumped out more often. It's not rocket science. Ignore the
hysterics.- Hide quoted text -

Rediculous. Millions of people prove you wrong every day. Stick to
the proper pumping schedule and there's no problem. The same applies
to people without garbage disposals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

and millions of people have septic problems.

case closed.

"mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
Rediculous. Millions of people prove you wrong every day. Stick to
the proper pumping schedule and there's no problem. The same applies
to people without garbage disposals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/1/2007 4:49 PM SteveB said the following:
"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message

and millions of people have septic problems.

case closed.

What kind of problems? You send it down, no problem. You're supposed to
have it pumped? I've heard of people with 75 year old systems that have
NEVER been pumped. What kind of problems could anyone have with something
so simple as a septic system?

Steve ( It's a joke, son. Ahhhh joke Ahhh said. - Foghorn Leghorn)

The less you put in a septic system, the longer the time between
cleanings. Do you have a septic system? Do you know what pumping a
septic system costs? Where I live, it is $400, and last time, I had the
dry well pumped at the same time for a grand total of $800.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 12:32 pm, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:
and millions of people have septic problems.

case closed.

s"mike" wrote in message

ups.com...

Ridiculous. Millions of people prove you wrong every day. Stick to
the proper pumping schedule and there's no problem. The same applies
to people without garbage disposals.- Hide quoted text -

Learn from folks who deal with septic systems for a living (Control+F
the page for garbage):

http://www.inspect-ny.com/septic/tankpump.htm

Feces & TP don't have exclusive, magical, septic-friendly properites.
If you met someone with septic problems, they probably didn't pump out
their tank on a proper schedule (or ever).

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote in message ...

"SteveB" wrote in message

h wrote

??? You aren't saying that they flush tampons, are you? Come on, all of
us females over the age of 10 know NOT to do that.

What planet do YOU live on? Here on earth, it is a common practice. Any
sewage treatment plant in the US will verify this.

Of course, what you wrote was a joke, right?

Haha.

Steve

No, it's not a joke. We're not talking sewage treatment, we're talking
SEPTIC TANK. NEVER flush a tampon down a septic system. What planet are
YOU living on? You can't really be that ignorant, can you?

I apologize. It's been a long day, and the brain surgery didn't go that
well.

I must have gotten my wires crossed. I thought the person inferred that it
was okay to flush tampons. I guess too many no's not's and whatever in the
same sentence. Maybe it's these glasses.

Didn't Frank Zappa have a song that had a line in it about flushing
"tampoons"?

Steve, who doesn't think it's a good idea to put anything but sewage into a
septic tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As an aside, at our mountain cabin, we have two trash cans in the bathroom.
We have a sign that asks guests to please put TP in the flip up lid trash
can. Then it says, "But, if it's REALLY brown, send it down."

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
YA BUT, people with septic tanks SHOULD NOT use the garbage disposal.

I totally agree. Once I asked a septic guy about that, and he said, "It's
partially digested food, isn't it? It's the same as crap."

Maybe so, and I DO have a garbage disposal on a septic tank, but I still
don't send a lot down it. Hardly anything. We now have a compost pile, so
that makes it a little easier. Trash guy comes once a week here in the
country, and stuff can get real skanky in a week. The compost pile is going
to help.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
on 10/1/2007 4:49 PM SteveB said the following:
"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message

and millions of people have septic problems.

case closed.

What kind of problems? You send it down, no problem. You're supposed to
have it pumped? I've heard of people with 75 year old systems that have
NEVER been pumped. What kind of problems could anyone have with
something so simple as a septic system?

Steve ( It's a joke, son. Ahhhh joke Ahhh said. - Foghorn Leghorn)

The less you put in a septic system, the longer the time between
cleanings. Do you have a septic system? Do you know what pumping a septic
system costs? Where I live, it is $400, and last time, I had the dry well
pumped at the same time for a grand total of $800.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Yes, I have a septic tank, and it is about $400.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

h wrote:

You aren't saying that they flush tampons, are you? Come on, all of us
females over the age of 10 know NOT to do that.

Not the applicator, but yes, the used tampon... Not a high volume item of
course.

How unbelievably gross. They actually flush the tampon? That works out to
about 6-10 a day for 5-6 days for each woman in the house and you think
that's not a high volume? Your plumbing backs up a lot, doesn't it? Glad I
don't live in your house. Shudder.

Best way to stop this practice, is to tell the females in the house that the
septic tank pump operator will see them floating on top the the liquid in
the tank. Most women want them to disappear and not to have anyone to see
them, which doesn't happen with septic tanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
As an aside, at our mountain cabin, we have two trash cans in the
bathroom.
We have a sign that asks guests to please put TP in the flip up lid trash
can. Then it says, "But, if it's REALLY brown, send it down."

Steve

Do you dry it out and re-use it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"SteveB" wrote in message
As an aside, at our mountain cabin, we have two trash cans in the
bathroom.
We have a sign that asks guests to please put TP in the flip up lid trash
can. Then it says, "But, if it's REALLY brown, send it down."

Steve

Do you dry it out and re-use it?

No, just toss it into the trash. What else would we do with it?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

Well, on airplanes, they used to provide a little stack of waxed-paper bags
to containerize things like sanitary products and used diapers- probably at
the behest of the ground crew that gets to empty the trash chute in the
cans. I imagine those bags are available somewhere to civilians.

I worked one semester in college as a night shift janitor on campus. The
ladies bathrooms were always the nastiest rooms on the list for the night.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
. ..
newman wrote:
Is it advisable to put coffee grounds in septic tanks?

I have heard that coffee grounds do not decompose.

Thanks.

Who knows. But it is just plain stupid to put anything in septic or sewer
that can be thrown in trash.

Frank

Agreed, putting any type of solids into a septic system, especially nice
fine clumpy stuff, just is not a good practice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 8:14 am, h wrote:
"SteveB" wrote in message

h wrote

??? You aren't saying that they flush tampons, are you? Come on, all of
us females over the age of 10 know NOT to do that.

What planet do YOU live on? Here on earth, it is a common practice. Any
sewage treatment plant in the US will verify this.

Of course, what you wrote was a joke, right?

Haha.

Steve

No, it's not a joke. We're not talking sewage treatment, we're talking
SEPTIC TANK. NEVER flush a tampon down a septic system. What planet are YOU
living on? You can't really be that ignorant, can you?

Apparently he has never heard of the tank cleaners cussing out the
"white sewer rats" they have to deal with.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 9:04 pm, "aemeijers" wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

on 10/1/2007 9:25 AM h said the following:
"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
om...

[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

I worked as a "Corrections Officer" (read Jailer or Turnkey, there is
no "Corrections" involved in that job). Female Work Release had a
neat little 'Sanitary Napkins" box on the wall. It disappeared the
first time I had to empty it.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

YA BUT, people with septic tanks SHOULD NOT use the garbage disposal.

"mike" wrote in message

roups.com...

You can put all kinds of organic matter in a septic tank. People with
septic tanks have garbage disposals after all. You just have to have
it pumped out more often. It's not rocket science. Ignore the
hysterics.- Hide quoted text -

Rediculous. Millions of people prove you wrong every day. Stick to
the proper pumping schedule and there's no problem. The same applies
to people without garbage disposals.- Hide quoted text -

And millions of people have traffic accidents. That millions of
people do something does not make it right.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

YA BUT, people with septic tanks SHOULD NOT use the garbage disposal.

"mike" wrote in message

roups.com...

You can put all kinds of organic matter in a septic tank. People with
septic tanks have garbage disposals after all. You just have to have
it pumped out more often. It's not rocket science. Ignore the
hysterics.- Hide quoted text -

Rediculous. Millions of people prove you wrong every day. Stick to
the proper pumping schedule and there's no problem. The same applies
to people without garbage disposals.- Hide quoted text -

And millions of people have traffic accidents. That millions of
people do something does not make it right.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Sigh. You didn't read the link, did you? Millions of people
successfully using a garbage disposal with a septic tank, long term,
is not comparable to people who unsuccessfully drive their car.

Millions of people successfully using a garbage disposal with a septic
system, long term, indicates that it can be done quite easily. But
you'd already know that if you had read the link on septic tank
pumping schedules.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to willshak, Kara keating wrote:
Unfortunately marketing schemes like the word "flushable" confuses a lot of
people. Just because a product says flushable doesn't mean biodegradable.
Like baby wipes say flushable however they have costed public municipalities
millions of dollars for back ups and thousands of pounds of "FLUSHABLE" items
to be removed out of our sewage plants. So think of an individual septic on
our properties, it cannot and will not break this stuff down.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ds-254304-.htm

No Septic Tank? Steve B Home Repair 29 June 19th 07 10:09 PM
Kew hobby V coffee grounds, no contest! ;-) T i m UK diy 11 March 28th 06 01:18 AM
Help - septic tank ( or not?) howardsend UK diy 23 March 16th 06 07:02 PM
coffee grounds? rick pixley Woodturning 35 August 16th 05 03:55 AM