Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Newly Installed Light on Ceiling Fan Doesn't Work

I just installed a lighting kit on an existing ceiling fan but it
doesn't turn on. I connected the white wires together and the black
wire to the blue wire per instructions. There's a light switch and a
fan control dial on the wall. We use the fan control dial; I always
assumed the switch was to control a light on the fan since it doesn't
operate anything else in the room, but now I'm not so sure.

I have tried every combination of pulling the chain on the celing fan
and flipping switches and I cannot get anything to happen. I tested
the bulb and it is good. The fan seems to work fine. Anyone have any
ideas?

Thanks!
John

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The wire that should connect to the light is probably sitting in the ceiling
box, unattached to the wire for the light kit.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just installed a lighting kit on an existing ceiling fan but it
doesn't turn on. I connected the white wires together and the black
wire to the blue wire per instructions. There's a light switch and a
fan control dial on the wall. We use the fan control dial; I always
assumed the switch was to control a light on the fan since it doesn't
operate anything else in the room, but now I'm not so sure.

I have tried every combination of pulling the chain on the celing fan
and flipping switches and I cannot get anything to happen. I tested
the bulb and it is good. The fan seems to work fine. Anyone have any
ideas?

Thanks!
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just installed a lighting kit on an existing ceiling fan but it
doesn't turn on. I connected the white wires together and the black
wire to the blue wire per instructions. There's a light switch and a
fan control dial on the wall. We use the fan control dial; I always
assumed the switch was to control a light on the fan since it doesn't
operate anything else in the room, but now I'm not so sure.

I have tried every combination of pulling the chain on the celing fan
and flipping switches and I cannot get anything to happen. I tested
the bulb and it is good. The fan seems to work fine. Anyone have any
ideas?

Thanks!
John

Take off the switch cover plate and see what's connected to the
terminals of that switch.

The original installer may have not connected the fan light leads to the
switch in that box because there wasn't yet a light on the fan.

If you're lucky, all you'll have to do is learn how to connect a hot
feed to one terminal of that switch and the lead which ends up as a blue
wire at the fan to the other switch terminal.

If you're unlucky, the original installer won't have installed a
lighting lead running from that switchbox to the fan location and you'll
be sort of SOL.

Whatever, be careful if you're not facile with electric wiring.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

For this light to work you would need two separate switched hot
leads coming into the fan/light combination at the ceiling box.
One switched hot lead would run the fan, the other switched hot
lead would run the light.

If this is not what you have, you should be able to use the common
hot to run both the fan and the light - this is not very
satisfactory as you either have a slow fan and dim light or fast
fan and bright light. This would require tying the light's hot
lead into the hot at the ceiling box.

If you do not follow this explanation you should have an
electrician look at this.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

ups.com...