Posted to alt.home.repair

Default VOIP Booster?

I have VOIP phone service, and it works well as long as we don't need two
phones off the hook at one time. If two of us need to be on the phone we
can't hear anything. Is there a booster out there to power more than one
phone at a time? Yes, I know about 4 station wireless, but want a less
expensive option.

Mike D.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
et...
I have VOIP phone service, and it works well as long as we don't need two
phones off the hook at one time. If two of us need to be on the phone we
can't hear anything. Is there a booster out there to power more than one
phone at a time? Yes, I know about 4 station wireless, but want a less
expensive option.

Nope.

Some phones put less of a load on the system when they are off hook. Might
want to try a newer phone.

Other than that, you'll need a different VOIP device that is capable of
pushing out more power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 10:21 am, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
I have VOIP phone service, and it works well as long as we don't need two
phones off the hook at one time. If two of us need to be on the phone we
can't hear anything. Is there a booster out there to power more than one
phone at a time? Yes, I know about 4 station wireless, but want a less
expensive option.

Mike D.

What you're looking for isn't VOIP specific. It's just an analog
signal booster for a phone line, to sit in series on the line and
boost the volume, which I've never seen. Even if you did find one,
I'd be surprised if cost wise it didn't make more sense to get a
cordless multi-handset phone, which you can get for $50- 75 when on
sale.

As an aside, this is another example of the issues you can run into
when you switch from good old 2 wire phone service.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

SteveB wrote:
"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
et...
I have VOIP phone service, and it works well as long as we don't need two
phones off the hook at one time. If two of us need to be on the phone we
can't hear anything. Is there a booster out there to power more than one
phone at a time? Yes, I know about 4 station wireless, but want a less
expensive option.

Mike D.

Can't help you on that. But I'll hijack your thread since it's VOIP. I
bought a Linksys VOIP phone to use on Skype. At my cabin, I can not get it
to work with the dish system. All I get is garbled sound. I've contacted
Linksys and Skype and they sent me lists and lists of things to try, but I
can't get the damn thing working. Even bought a regular computer headset
and tried that. It works at my lowland house over a dish, but not up at the
cabin.

Any ideas?

Hope you get your problem solved. Hope someone can help me with mine.

Steve

Possible the link to the net is not fast enough.
There are free tests for ISP speed. Try one and compare to house.
Problem may in the dish system.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 12:55 pm, wrote:
[...]

A very important aside: Agree absolutely. At one time; back in the
'bad' old days telephone systems were regulated and good (an
universally available) service was expected. As a result North America
had the best telephone systems in the world with probably the highest
number of phones per 100 of population. And yes; I was a proud and
service conscious employee of that system for almost 40 years.

To preserve that quality, at one time, telcos did not allow the
connection of other equipment or that at least did not meet or
maintain standards such as Bell System to their lines.

That has gradually changed with interconnection and competition so
that today we have a mish mash with virtually no standards! And now
Voice over the internet, which has very little to do with telephones
at all. Except the the telephone numbering system devised by
international and inter company cooperation has been extended from the
traditional telephone networks into other so-called telephone
services.

The poster doesn't mention what type of phones they are. Not saying
they are el-cheapos; but if they are some have very low impedances
which don't match a telephone line or anything else very well. Or they
take too much current. You can't just hitch stuff up willy nilly
without any reference to technical specification or standards and
expect it to work!

The worst case we ever had was two cheap phones that two children had
'won' as part of a magazine subscription that were of such low quality
that they disabled their parents' telephone line; their father was a
fire fighter who missed several emergency call outs! Could have been
serious. Fortunately our local telco. was service conscious and
socially responsible. It investigated; disconnected the two non
standard phones. Service immediately returned to normal.

The original posting, as said, is not VOIP specific it has to do with
a proper interface between the computer and the phone gadget/s. Deal
with your computer service provider.

We have Have used VOIP with varying quality. Occasionally
internationally.

Anecdote:Yesterday the phone rang and someone who sounded like
teenager speaking on a terrible connection, sounded like it was coming
over the internet, voice kept breaking up, was distorted and choppy
etc. tried to sell me Long Distance (which I virtually never use
within North America) at 3.5 cents per minute. Told her that if she
couldn't offer better quality than that while trying to 'sell' me
service they shouldn't try.

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Mike Dobony wrote:

I have VOIP phone service, and it works well as long as we don't need two
phones off the hook at one time. If two of us need to be on the phone we
can't hear anything. Is there a booster out there to power more than one
phone at a time? Yes, I know about 4 station wireless, but want a less
expensive option.

Mike D.

I don't believe that your problem is VOIP specific at all.
Many times, modern electronic telephones won't work correctly
(even with POTS) if two are off hook at the same time. This is
particularly true is the telephones are of different brands/models.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

[...]

Are you using the same sat service at both locations? If not suggest
using the known working service at the cabin location. I seem to recall
noting that the Hughes service was know to function (with the expected
sat delays) with Vonage service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:24:22 -0400, Lou wrote:

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Don't forget that while speed is important, latency is too. That is a
problem with satellite internet.

Try one and compare to house.
Problem may in the dish system.

Lou

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"M Q" wrote in message
Mike Dobony wrote:

I have VOIP phone service, and it works well as long as we don't need two
phones off the hook at one time. If two of us need to be on the phone we
can't hear anything. Is there a booster out there to power more than one
phone at a time? Yes, I know about 4 station wireless, but want a less
expensive option.

Mike D.

I don't believe that your problem is VOIP specific at all.
Many times, modern electronic telephones won't work correctly
(even with POTS) if two are off hook at the same time. This is
particularly true is the telephones are of different brands/models.

They worked fine on a standard land line. My Voip service is 1/4 the cost
of land line and unlimited long distance. Looks like I will need to go
wireless when they go on sale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:

I have VOIP phone service, and it works well as long as we don't need two
phones off the hook at one time. If two of us need to be on the phone we
can't hear anything. Is there a booster out there to power more than one
phone at a time? Yes, I know about 4 station wireless, but want a less
expensive option.

Mike D.

I don't believe that your problem is VOIP specific at all.
Many times, modern electronic telephones won't work correctly
(even with POTS) if two are off hook at the same time. This is
particularly true is the telephones are of different brands/models.

They worked fine on a standard land line. My Voip service is 1/4 the cost
of land line and unlimited long distance. Looks like I will need to go
wireless when they go on sale.

The "traditional" phone interface electronics in the VOIP routers are
not built to the same standards as the TelCO's central office gear. It's
not surprising that it would not have the same line load capacity as the
TelCO, however you should at least check with the manufacturer of the
VOIP gear to see what the load capacity should be as it's possible you
have a bad unit. As far as boosters go, the only "booster" that I'm
aware of would be a TelCO grade line extender which would cost more than
the cordless phone setup. Welcome to the world of bleeding edge
technology where you're finding the bugs in the system...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote

Don't forget that while speed is important, latency is too. That is a
problem with satellite internet.

Both places have speeds in excess of T1. However, I do believe the latency
is more at the cabin.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote

Are you using the same sat service at both locations? If not suggest
using the known working service at the cabin location. I seem to recall
noting that the Hughes service was know to function (with the expected
sat delays) with Vonage service.

Different systems at the two places. Speeds are high, but different
providers.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
I have VOIP phone service, and it works well as long as we don't need
two phones off the hook at one time. If two of us need to be on the
phone we can't hear anything. Is there a booster out there to power
more than one phone at a time? Yes, I know about 4 station wireless,
but want a less expensive option.

Mike D.

Try a telephone amplifier. I've got this one and it works swell.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Telephone-Handse...QQcmdZViewItem

Search Ebay (and other places) for "telephone+amplifier"

VOIP is superb. With diligent searching and bargaining, we got our long
distance charges down to 3.5c/min. Still, our LD bill was over $200/month.
All that went away with VIOP.

We use Vonage, but there are other services available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Mike Dobony wrote:
I have VOIP phone service, and it works well as long as we don't need
two phones off the hook at one time. If two of us need to be on the
phone we can't hear anything. Is there a booster out there to power
more than one phone at a time? Yes, I know about 4 station wireless,
but want a less expensive option.

Mike D.

Try a telephone amplifier. I've got this one and it works swell.

???? I don't need a louder handset. I need to power 2 different phones at
the same time. This is NOTHING like what I need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Telephone-Handse...QQcmdZViewItem

Search Ebay (and other places) for "telephone+amplifier"

VOIP is superb. With diligent searching and bargaining, we got our long
distance charges down to 3.5c/min. Still, our LD bill was over $200/month.
All that went away with VIOP.

We use Vonage, but there are other services available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 9:21 am, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
I have VOIP phone service, and it works well as long as we don't need two
phones off the hook at one time. If two of us need to be on the phone we
can't hear anything. Is there a booster out there to power more than one
phone at a time? Yes, I know about 4 station wireless, but want a less
expensive option.

Mike D.

It sounds (no pun) as though your adapter doesn't
provide enough loop current for more than one
standard telephone. Mike Sandman sells a loop
current booster that could solve your problem.

http://www.sandman.com/longloop.html

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"Mark Lloyd" wrote

Don't forget that while speed is important, latency is too. That is a
problem with satellite internet.

Both places have speeds in excess of T1. However, I do believe the latency
is more at the cabin.

Steve

We had a Hughesnet system and the latency was ~80x greater than a
terrestrial connection making it totally useless for any real time two
way traffic.