Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Default Dryer 4 wire to 3 wire plug

Just bought a used dryer much newer than the old one.
Need to replace 4 prong plug with 3 prong. I know I will be replacing
the whole wire at the dryer end.
A site with pictures or advice from folks in the know?

TIA

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

When you install the three wire cord set on the dryer, the center terminal
needs to have a jumper installed from the terminal to the metal frame of the
dryer. Once this is installed the center wire of the cord set goes on that
terminal, and the outer wires of the set go to the adjacent terminals

"Lou" wrote in message
Just bought a used dryer much newer than the old one.
Need to replace 4 prong plug with 3 prong. I know I will be replacing the
whole wire at the dryer end.
A site with pictures or advice from folks in the know?

TIA

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 7:09 pm, Lou wrote:
Just bought a used dryer much newer than the old one.
Need to replace 4 prong plug with 3 prong. I know I will be replacing
the whole wire at the dryer end.
A site with pictures or advice from folks in the know?

TIA

Lou

I'm sure other posters will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a
plug that is closer (or at) current code, doesn't it make sense to
replace the outdated receptacle instead of the "proper" cord?

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

That would make the most sense if he has a four wire feed to the current
dryer outlet. If the feed is a round Romex type cable, it could be four
wire. If it's an oval shaped gray plastic or cloth covered type SE cable,
it's three wire

"Big_Jake" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 22, 7:09 pm, Lou wrote:
Just bought a used dryer much newer than the old one.
Need to replace 4 prong plug with 3 prong. I know I will be replacing
the whole wire at the dryer end.
A site with pictures or advice from folks in the know?

TIA

Lou

I'm sure other posters will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a
plug that is closer (or at) current code, doesn't it make sense to
replace the outdated receptacle instead of the "proper" cord?

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Big_Jake wrote:
On Sep 22, 7:09 pm, Lou wrote:
Just bought a used dryer much newer than the old one.
Need to replace 4 prong plug with 3 prong. I know I will be replacing
the whole wire at the dryer end.
A site with pictures or advice from folks in the know?

TIA

Lou

I'm sure other posters will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a
plug that is closer (or at) current code, doesn't it make sense to
replace the outdated receptacle instead of the "proper" cord?

JK

I think it is not so simple since the 4 wire recpt needs proper
grounding, but I am open to suggestions. Also may be easier to change
the wire.

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lou" wrote in message
Just bought a used dryer much newer than the old one.
Need to replace 4 prong plug with 3 prong. I know I will be replacing the
whole wire at the dryer end.
A site with pictures or advice from folks in the know?

No instructions? You have to add a jumper from the neutral to the ground
and change the cordset, but it would be nice to know how the manufacturer
intended it to be done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big_Jake" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm sure other posters will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a
plug that is closer (or at) current code, doesn't it make sense to
replace the outdated receptacle instead of the "proper" cord?

JK

no, it won't have the proper number of conductors in his cable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

RBM wrote:
That would make the most sense if he has a four wire feed to the current
dryer outlet. If the feed is a round Romex type cable, it could be four
wire. If it's an oval shaped gray plastic or cloth covered type SE cable,
it's three wire

House was built in 1990. I assume it is only three wire.

Lou

"Big_Jake" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 22, 7:09 pm, Lou wrote:
Just bought a used dryer much newer than the old one.
Need to replace 4 prong plug with 3 prong. I know I will be replacing
the whole wire at the dryer end.
A site with pictures or advice from folks in the know?

TIA

Lou

I'm sure other posters will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a
plug that is closer (or at) current code, doesn't it make sense to
replace the outdated receptacle instead of the "proper" cord?

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Toller wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message
Just bought a used dryer much newer than the old one.
Need to replace 4 prong plug with 3 prong. I know I will be replacing the
whole wire at the dryer end.
A site with pictures or advice from folks in the know?

No instructions? You have to add a jumper from the neutral to the ground
and change the cordset, but it would be nice to know how the manufacturer
intended it to be done.

I did find this site which has comments:
http://www.selfhelpforums.com/showthread.php?t=4263

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big_Jake" wrote in message

I'm sure other posters will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a
plug that is closer (or at) current code, doesn't it make sense to
replace the outdated receptacle instead of the "proper" cord?

It is not that simple since the existing cable does not have four
conductors. You may be able to replace the wire, but that may be a major
project also if it is in the wall and not easily pulled. While the code
allows using a jumper and three wires on the appliance, I don't think it
allows using a four pin receptacle on a three conductor wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message

"Lou" wrote in message
Just bought a used dryer much newer than the old one.
Need to replace 4 prong plug with 3 prong. I know I will be replacing
the whole wire at the dryer end.
A site with pictures or advice from folks in the know?

No instructions? You have to add a jumper from the neutral to the ground
and change the cordset, but it would be nice to know how the manufacturer
intended it to be done.

The advice above is correct. If you don't know the neutral from the other
two hire a pro. It isn't worth dying over.

They come from the factory with a jumper from the neutral to the body of the
dryer. This is removed when the dryer is installed using a 4 wire cable.
Then the ground wire is attached to the body. If you are going back to 3
wires you reverse the process.

I just installed a new stove and this is the way it came.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lou" wrote in message
Just bought a used dryer much newer than the old one.
Need to replace 4 prong plug with 3 prong. I know I will be replacing the
whole wire at the dryer end.
A site with pictures or advice from folks in the know?

Look here for the pix. Too bad you have 10 comments about it from others
and no pix.

http://fixitnow.com/appliantology/dryercords.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Lou wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message
Just bought a used dryer much newer than the old one.
Need to replace 4 prong plug with 3 prong. I know I will be
replacing the whole wire at the dryer end.
A site with pictures or advice from folks in the know?

Look here for the pix. Too bad you have 10 comments about it from
others and no pix.

http://fixitnow.com/appliantology/dryercords.htm

Thank You

Lou

Well now that I visited the site given make that THANK YOU!!! Good
info. And the associated
http://fixitnow.com/2005/09/samurais...nce-repair.htm
is a lot of fun, and gives sound advice.

Lou
Education is about knowing where to look for answers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lou" wrote in message
Toller wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message
Just bought a used dryer much newer than the old one.
Need to replace 4 prong plug with 3 prong. I know I will be replacing
the whole wire at the dryer end.
A site with pictures or advice from folks in the know?

No instructions? You have to add a jumper from the neutral to the ground
and change the cordset, but it would be nice to know how the manufacturer
intended it to be done.

I did find this site which has comments:
http://www.selfhelpforums.com/showthread.php?t=4263

Lou

I wouldn't disagree with anything there; though calling tens of millions of
dryers and ovens an electrocution hazzard when I doubt anyone has ever been
electrocuted is a bit of an overstatement. It could only happen if the
neutral gets broken somehow and you touch the dryer with a wet hand when you
are well grounded. And even then it is improbable; though certainly not
impossible.

Can anyone document an actual fatality from a 3wire circuit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some how something is not right
? why manufacture would use 4 prong plug on 120 ac
unless is this unit 220/3/60 and is it commercial grade
???????????????????????????????????/ Tony

"Lou" wrote in message
Just bought a used dryer much newer than the old one.
Need to replace 4 prong plug with 3 prong. I know I will be replacing the
whole wire at the dryer end.
A site with pictures or advice from folks in the know?

TIA

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 9:13?am, "tony" wrote:
Some how something is not right
? why manufacture would use 4 prong plug on 120 ac
unless is this unit 220/3/60 and is it commercial grade
???????????????????????????????????/ Tony

nearly all full sized electric drtyers are 240 volt so they dry
clothes in a reasonable length of time

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

"Lou" wrote in message
Just bought a used dryer much newer than the old one.
Need to replace 4 prong plug with 3 prong. I know I will be replacing the
whole wire at the dryer end.
A site with pictures or advice from folks in the know?

TIA

Lou

All dryers are 208/220 for efficiency. You need the voltage to get the
amps for the heat. 4 wire is safer than 3 wire but is same voltage.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

"tony" wrote in message
Some how something is not right
? why manufacture would use 4 prong plug on 120 ac
unless is this unit 220/3/60 and is it commercial grade
???????????????????????????????????/ Tony

That is now the code. Two hots, neutral, ground. Used to be the 110V
controls could use the ground as a neutral.

Note: It is not 120V, normal dryers use 220V There may be some small
portable units that use 120V.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lou" wrote in message
Just bought a used dryer much newer than the old one.
Need to replace 4 prong plug with 3 prong. I know I will be replacing the
whole wire at the dryer end.
A site with pictures or advice from folks in the know?

TIA

Lou

All dryers are 208/220 for efficiency. You need the voltage to get the
amps for the heat. 4 wire is safer than 3 wire but is same voltage.

Lou

Well, I'd say you need the volts to get the watts. Actually cuts the amp
requirement in half, which is the major advantage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 10:43:13 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"tony" wrote in message
Some how something is not right
? why manufacture would use 4 prong plug on 120 ac
unless is this unit 220/3/60 and is it commercial grade
???????????????????????????????????/ Tony

That is now the code. Two hots, neutral, ground. Used to be the 110V
controls could use the ground as a neutral.

Note: It is not 120V, normal dryers use 220V There may be some small
portable units that use 120V.

Note: the higher voltage is always twice the lower one, an in 110/220
or 120/240.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article CDtJi.245$9r4.243@trnddc04, "tony" wrote:
Some how something is not right
? why manufacture would use 4 prong plug on 120 ac

What was it, exactly, that led you to think this is a 120V dryer?

2 hots for 240V heating elements, one of which also supplies 120V motor &
timer

1 neutral for 120V motor & timer

1 equipment ground

Total 4 wires hence 4 prongs.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Default Dryer 4 wire to 3 wire plug The end

wrote:

"tony" wrote in message
Some how something is not right
? why manufacture would use 4 prong plug on 120 ac
unless is this unit 220/3/60 and is it commercial grade
???????????????????????????????????/ Tony

That is now the code. Two hots, neutral, ground. Used to be the 110V
controls could use the ground as a neutral.

Note: It is not 120V, normal dryers use 220V There may be some small
portable units that use 120V.

Note: the higher voltage is always twice the lower one, an in 110/220
or 120/240.

I am the OP

Today I switched the wires and found the dryer was set up for 3 wire.
The ground strap WAS attached and the 4 wire had twp wires going to the
ground strap lug in the center. Appears the dryer was made for 3 wire.
I attached my wire from the old dryer the same as it was attached in the
old dryer.

Lou