Need Homemade Anti Foaming Agent for Rug Doctor

Old September 21st 07, 11:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need Homemade Anti Foaming Agent for Rug Doctor

I forgot to buy anti-faoming agent for the Rug Doctor I rented this
evening. I'd rather not go back out to get some since I want to get
started first thing in the morning.

Do I have anything lying around the house that will work as an anti-
foaming agent for the dirty water tank?

Thanks!

Old September 21st 07, 11:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
oups.com...
I forgot to buy anti-faoming agent for the Rug Doctor I rented this
evening. I'd rather not go back out to get some since I want to get
started first thing in the morning.

Do I have anything lying around the house that will work as an anti-
foaming agent for the dirty water tank?

Thanks!

I can't answer the question, but I'd be interested in the final results when
you're done, as well as your opinion of the machine itself. I was eyeing
them at the store today, comparing the cost to a carpet cleaning service
that's done decent work for me in the past.

Old September 22nd 07, 12:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I forgot to buy anti-faoming agent for the Rug Doctor I rented this
evening. I'd rather not go back out to get some since I want to get
started first thing in the morning.

Do I have anything lying around the house that will work as an anti-
foaming agent for the dirty water tank?

If you need "anti foaming agent" in the recovery tank, you are using far too
much detergent in the main tank. That detergent stays in your carpet for the
most part and will cause it to get dirty again far sooner than it should.

Follow the directions to the letter for the amount of detergent in the main
tank.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Old September 22nd 07, 12:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I can't answer the question, but I'd be interested in the final results when
you're done, as well as your opinion of the machine itself. I was eyeing
them at the store today, comparing the cost to a carpet cleaning service
that's done decent work for me in the past.

The Rug Doctor machine is a good rental, worth every bit. I've used
them twice in a former home...renting from the grocery store. They
make money on the liquid products.

--
Oren

Old September 22nd 07, 12:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
I can't answer the question, but I'd be interested in the final results
when
you're done, as well as your opinion of the machine itself. I was eyeing
them at the store today, comparing the cost to a carpet cleaning service
that's done decent work for me in the past.

The Rug Doctor machine is a good rental, worth every bit. I've used
them twice in a former home...renting from the grocery store. They
make money on the liquid products.

--
Oren

Does it leave much of a chemical smell during the drying process, or just
detergent-ish? I work at home. There's no escape...however, I have maybe a
month during which I can open lots of windows. After that....chilly.

Old September 22nd 07, 12:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 21, 7:04 pm, Rick Blaine wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
I forgot to buy anti-faoming agent for the Rug Doctor I rented this
evening. I'd rather not go back out to get some since I want to get
started first thing in the morning.

Do I have anything lying around the house that will work as an anti-
foaming agent for the dirty water tank?

If you need "anti foaming agent" in the recovery tank, you are using far too
much detergent in the main tank. That detergent stays in your carpet for the
most part and will cause it to get dirty again far sooner than it should.

-- Follow the directions to the letter for the amount of detergent in
the main tank.

Thanks for the reply, Rick, but that's not really the issue. The Rug
Doctor instructions call for anti-foaming agent as follows:

"Anti-foam is necessary for carpet cleaning only if you've previously
used high foaming shampoos or spray on products."

So while faoming may or may not be the result of too much detergent,
that wouldn't be my problem since I am indeed following the
instructions as per the amount of detergent to use "to the letter" -
well, actually, to the number.

In any case, as it turns out, I started the job tonight and I don't
need the anti-foaming agent, even while using the upper-end of the
amount of detergent called for. There's so much dirt coming out the
carpets that no self respecting bubble would dare form in the recovery
tank!

Old September 22nd 07, 12:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 23:16:16 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
I can't answer the question, but I'd be interested in the final results
when
you're done, as well as your opinion of the machine itself. I was eyeing
them at the store today, comparing the cost to a carpet cleaning service
that's done decent work for me in the past.

The Rug Doctor machine is a good rental, worth every bit. I've used
them twice in a former home...renting from the grocery store. They
make money on the liquid products.

--
Oren

Does it leave much of a chemical smell during the drying process, or just
detergent-ish? I work at home. There's no escape...however, I have maybe a
month during which I can open lots of windows. After that....chilly.

I used the recommended liquids when I rented. IMO there was no
significant odor or smell. Later I used upholstery cleaner in the car
- when the house was finished. Clean the car carpets

Allow to dry, and yes open windows will always help.

--
Oren

Old September 22nd 07, 02:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

On Sep 21, 5:19 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I forgot to buy anti-faoming agent for the Rug Doctor I rented this
evening. I'd rather not go back out to get some since I want to get
started first thing in the morning.

Do I have anything lying around the house that will work as an anti-
foaming agent for the dirty water tank?

Thanks!

Try a little PAM non stick spray. Works like a charm in my MagnaSand
drywall dust sanding trap, might work with rug doctor too. HTH

Joe

Old September 22nd 07, 02:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 21, 7:16 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message

I can't answer the question, but I'd be interested in the final results
when
you're done, as well as your opinion of the machine itself. I was eyeing
them at the store today, comparing the cost to a carpet cleaning service
that's done decent work for me in the past.

The Rug Doctor machine is a good rental, worth every bit. I've used
them twice in a former home...renting from the grocery store. They
make money on the liquid products.

--
Oren

Does it leave much of a chemical smell during the drying process, or just
detergent-ish? I work at home. There's no escape...however, I have maybe a
month during which I can open lots of windows. After that....chilly.

On the spot reporter here...

I just finished the living room and there is no significant odor to
speak off. Of course, I'm right in the middle of it, so who knows.
Maybe we could a fresh nose...come on over and sniff.

While I was cleaning the rug, my bare feet got wet enough to be
slippery on the kitchen floor. Less than a half hour later, with a fan
blowing on the rug, it's still damp, but not enough to make my feet
slippery anymore.

Now, as far as the cleaning ability of the unit, I might be
embarresing myself but I'll tell you the results...

It's been many, many years since the carpets were cleaned. I have 4
kids, a dog and a cat. 99% of the time shoes are not worn in the
house. I used the strongest concentration suggested on the bottle (4
oz per gallon of hot water) and ran the machine much slower than the 1
foot per second suggested. The amount of dirt removed on the first
pass was significant and there was a visible difference in the color
of the beige rug. I ran a second pass a bit faster and although there
was no visible improvement in the color of the rug, there also wasn't
any visible improvement in the color of the recovery water either. It
lok just as dirty to me. Just for fun, I ran a third pass with just
hot water...kind of like a rinse. The recovery water was much lighter
but was it because the carpet was finally getting clean or because
there was no detergent to extract anymore dirt? Once I get done with
the office and the stairs, I may over the living room again with
detergent to see.

So the real question is: Was my carpet so dirty that even a
professional machine would have taken 2 -3 passes, or are these
machines just not powerful enough to get all the dirt out in one pass?

Cost in Western NY: $19.99 for 24 hours for a 10" wide machine. The
wide track (16"?) would have been $24.99. The solution starts at
$10.98 for a 48 oz bottle of the standard stuff, $12.98 for the oxy-
enhanced version. The 48 oz says it does 450 - 900 sq ft. I'll agree
with that based on the concentration I used, how many passes I made
and how slow I went.

On to the office...

Old September 22nd 07, 03:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

So the real question is: Was my carpet so dirty that even a
professional machine would have taken 2 -3 passes, or are these
machines just not powerful enough to get all the dirt out in one pass?

The major advantage to a professional machine is the massive suction
power. Any old beast will loosen the dirt. But no rental from the
supermarket is going to have any where near the suction of a
truck-mounted machine. No matter how much dirt you suck out, or how many
passes you make, there's still going to be a lot of it that sinks down
into the backing, and the pad, that will not come out. I think that's
what makes carpets so dirty so quickly after they've been cleaned
incompletely.

But keep us posted as you go along, and a few months down the road.