Posted to alt.home.repair
wgd wgd is offline

Default Wet/Dry vac for outdoor cleanup?

I do a lot of sweeping of my sidewalk and parking area in front of my
townhouse to remove leaves and other debris. In the fall I have to
repeatedly remove an accumulation of leaves from underneath the outdoor
condensor unit of my heat pump (an early 80's York champion). The
vacuum effect of the condensor fan sucks up every leaf in range and
plasters them beneath the condensor coil blocking air flow through the
coils.

Would a small wet/dry vac work well for this type of cleanup? They are
typically promoted for indoor shop use. But why couldn't you use them
outside (in dry weather of course). Home Depot has a 6 gallon RIDGID
unit model WD0635 for only $39.97. I'm thinking of picking one up for
this type of minor outdoor cleanup.

Has anyone used a wet/dry vac for this purpose? If so how well did it
work? Or is this a bad idea for some reason I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any opinions or suggestions.

Warren
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 10:01 am, wgd wrote:
[...]

During the mother's day floods in the N-east a couple years ago I ran
to HD and there were only a couple wet dry vacs left. So I purchased
this one http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/WD5500-Wall-Vac/index.htm It
has been used extensively since. It has a 5 gal capacity which I
find to be fine for me. Hangs on the wall in the garage on its own
"dock".. Has done all the dirty jobs (wet and dry) I' needed done.
It can be fitted with its own casters (but are not removable and will
disable it from being hung on the wall). Comes with 12 feet of hose
(standard and a bit on the stiff side) and 7 feet of the very pliable
type mounted on a handy side mount. (I have since purchased a 10 foot
length of the "Pro Hose") Also comes with a little gizmo so you can
attatch the various hose extnders nozzles etc. This looks good but
falls off in practice. Works great as a blower as well, with a
directional manifold to direct the exhaust air. Easily carried in one
hand For the money it was a great investment............Doc

Posted to alt.home.repair

"wgd" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

Using it outdoors, but not in the rain, is no problem.

To suck up leaves, you will want the big (2"?) hose. You may find that the
leaves get sucked up against the inside hose wall and don't always pass through
easily or quickly, but it should do the job.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
"wgd" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

Would a leave blower work?

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Moe Jones" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
"wgd" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

That was my first thought. I'm not really convinced you CAN suck leaves
through a small tube- my leaf blower works great as a blower, but when I
plugged it together in vacum mode, I found it would only pick up a dry leaf
or two at a time, and you had to shove the tube right down on it. After ten
minutes, I gave up and went back to blowing and a rake. Before I bought the
blower, I also tried using my shop vac as a blower- just didn't have the
oomph. One sucks well, the other blows well, and the overlap area where the
twain meet is rather small. Note that the tractor and truck mounted leaf
vacs have HUGE hoses, 6-8 inches and larger.

2nd benefit- I don't have a convenient place to keep a real snow blower (and
only need one 3-4 times a winter lately, knock on wood), but I find that for
dry snow less than 3-4 inches, the leaf blower does a good job of clearing
that, too. Not much faster than hand shoveling, but much easier on the back.
The neighbors point and laugh, but the hell with them. (With a flat
driveway, I would ignore light snowfalls and let the sun clear it, but with
the slope I have, if I don't clear it, I can't get back up it....) For the
fifty bucks I paid, I'm more than happy with the leaf blower.

I'd say an entry-level blower, plastic rake, pushbroom and scoop shovel,
would be the toolkit of choice for OP. I also got a nice wheelbarrow/garden
cart, but OP said townhouse, so I presume he has nowhere to dump leaves
other than trash can or communal dumspter. I have a back corner by the
fenceline where I pile the leaves and branches, to create a place for the
small animals to set up housekeeping over the winter.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 2:01 pm, wgd wrote:
[...]

I use my 16 gallon shop vac to clean up the leaves in my wife's flower/
rock gardens. I found that the debris would clog the Y-diverter inside
the motor housing, so I just remove the three screws and take it off.
The filter gets dirtier quicker, but it's better than getting on my
hands and knees and removing the leaves manually. If the 2" hose gets
clogged, I simply remove it from the vac, turn it around and stick it
back in. It sucks the stuff right back out the way it went in.

I once used the shop vac to dig a hole big enough to bury a 55 gallon
drum as a dry well. I started to dig the hole with a shovel, but you
can't dig down very far without also getting wider at the top. I used
my shop vac hose to shave the walls of the hole straight down,
emptying the container onto a tarp whenever it got filled up. When I
was done I had a hole just slightly larger than the 55 gallon drum,
which I just dropped into the hole and covered with a grate.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

On Sep 20, 2:01?pm, wgd wrote:
[...]

I suspect others are right about a blower being more effective, but
worth a try. Years ago I moved into a house which had been set up
with several gravel paths by previous owners, an older couple. How my
kids and their friends loved to throw handfuls of that gravel all over
the lawn...but I liked the paths and didn't want to get rid of them,
though I considered it. Small shop vac was the salvation of my
sanity...just.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/20/2007 9:36 PM DerbyDad03 said the following:
On Sep 20, 2:01 pm, wgd wrote:

[...]

Could never do that in the Hudson Valley, a former glacial plain. Clay
and rocks do not vacuum up very well. :-)
Even those small tillers just bounce across the ground, and let's not
mention that cordless drill tiller that ol' Billy Mays advertises on TV.
My dirt would just tear the blades off that $19 thing (which includes a
cordless drill). :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
wgd wgd is offline

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions. Since the Home Depot wet/dry
vac I'm considering is cheap I think I'll pick one up and give it a try
for outdoor leaf/debris cleanup. Worst case I'll have another vacuum I
can use for other things if it chokes on the outdoor stuff.

Warren
Posted to alt.home.repair
Emb Emb is offline

replying to wgd, Emb wrote:
I thought of that and I could not find a big enough nozzle to suck up the
leaves. I am still looking.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...up-251664-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 2:44:07 PM UTC-4, Emb wrote:
replying to wgd, Emb wrote:
I thought of that and I could not find a big enough nozzle to suck up the
leaves. I am still looking.

Even though we seem to have resurrected yet another decade old thread, I'll
jump in.

I have been using a 16 gallon wet-dry vac for outdoor cleanup for well over
30 years.

The standard 2/5" hose - without any nozzle - is sufficient to pick up leaves,
both wet and dry. You merely need to hone your technique so as not to try to
pick up too many at one time. On occasion, too large of an attempt will cause
the leaves to clump up end of the hose but all it takes is a slight movement
of the clump with your hand and they will get sucked right in.

On rarer occasions, the hose itself may clogged with debris. When that
happens I simply reverse the hose and let the vac suck the debris out.

I have 2 flexible hoses connected together and will use 0, 1 or 2 rigid
pipes depending on where I am working. Two hoses mean less moving of the
vac itself.

As an aside, I have very sandy soil and a wet-dry vac is a great tool for
digging deep, straight walled holes. It's hard to dig a hole deep enough
to bury a 55 gallon poly drum (dry well) with a shovel. The deeper you go,
the wider you have to go to keep the sand on the shovel. With a wet-dry
vac, you can shave the sides of the hole straight down for a perfect fit.

The same technique works for digging graves. My dog is in his favorite spot
near the fire pit except that he's about 4' lower. I miss him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have been using a 16 gallon wet-dry vac for outdoor cleanup for well
over 30 years.

I've used my Ridgid WD1450 14 gallon vac a couple times outdoors.

One was to clean the paint chips out of the yard after we scraped down my
in-laws siding. It worked great.

The second was to clean pine needles and other debris out of the gutters. I
have an extension hose for my shop vac, so it reaches the gutters easily.
The only issue I had doing that was the static buildup in the hose from all
the pine needles and whatnot passing through the hose on a hot dry day.
Every so often the hose would brush up against my leg and I would get a
good zap. If I do it again, I'll wait for a more humid day.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

ancient discussion by now the heat pump has died of old age.

but putting some hardware cloth in front of the unit might prevent the leaves from getting under it