Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet valve water hammer problem

I've had a fluid master type toilet valve for 4-5 years with no
problems until recently when it would shut off and the pipes would
rattle from the water hammer effect. (This is the type where the
float rides up and down on a shaft, as opposed to the ball float on an
arm.) So I installed a new one and it worked fine for only about 1
month, and then it too started rattling the pipes when it shut off. I
then installed another, and again, after 1 month, it did the same.
Now....

1. Our water has not changed, and it soft county supplied and we have
no problems with deposit buildup.

2. The other toilets (all single story home) have the same valves and
work fine.

3. No other water hammer problems in the home ever.

I've turned the toilet shut off valve halfway off to slow the water
flow and that has solved the problem. But I'm curious if anyone knows
why this might be happening?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Sep 18, 8:40 am, wrote:
[...]

You might have a pipe losse in the wall or have you added any pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 18, 12:08 pm, jim wrote:
On Sep 18, 8:40 am, wrote:

[...]

You might have a pipe losse in the wall or have you added any pipe.- Hide quoted text -

I should not have used the word "rattle". Sorry. I have not added
any pipes and they are not loose. The water hammer is a very solid
thud.