Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Redwood deck in Colorado: to space or not to space?

The choice is definitely redwood (already purchased), and while the
deck (in my opinion) will look nicer with no spacing between the
planks, I don't want to risk damaging them from shrinking and
expanding in the Colorado weather. I have heard just as many "no
reason to space, redwood shrinks/expands very little" as I have
"definitely space, you will have problems if you don't" answers to the
question.

So is there anyone that lives in Colorado or a similar climate that
has experienced this specifically and can give some "been there, done
that" advice?

thanks,
Erik

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
The choice is definitely redwood (already purchased), and while the
deck (in my opinion) will look nicer with no spacing between the
planks, I don't want to risk damaging them from shrinking and
expanding in the Colorado weather. I have heard just as many "no
reason to space, redwood shrinks/expands very little" as I have
"definitely space, you will have problems if you don't" answers to the
question.

So is there anyone that lives in Colorado or a similar climate that
has experienced this specifically and can give some "been there, done
that" advice?

Colorado weather probably offers greater extremes
of high and low humidity than places farther west or south.

Expansion/contraction of deck timbers is less important
than drainage. After rain, any wood deck should let the
water run off as fast as possible, i.e. through the quarter-
inch gaps left between timbers. Secondly a deck of
spaced timbers is easier to clean, sweeping so that
dry dust falls between timbers. If you built a flush deck
it would become stained and/or rotten much faster than
a correctly-spaced one.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

How to prolong life of Redwood Deck Geoff Rilling Home Repair 2 September 12th 07 07:38 PM
Redwood Deck Corinne Home Repair 5 June 26th 06 08:19 AM
Redwood Deck or Concrete Patio: What's Less Expensive? Marty Home Repair 17 June 22nd 05 06:36 PM
Deck Material: Alternatives to Redwood? Marty Home Repair 7 June 6th 05 01:44 AM
Is my deck made out of cedar or redwood? Oscar_Lives Home Repair 9 May 16th 05 05:18 PM