Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water hammer problem with toliet valve

I've had one of those fluid master toilet float switches for 4-5 years
with no problems. But then it started to make a loud bang (water
hammer) when it would shut off. I replaced it with the same type.
After about a month, it did the same thing. I returned it for another
and again, this one worked fine for about a month until the water
hammer started again. I've since turned the toilet supply valve about
halfway closed to limit the water flow and solve the problem. But any
ideas as to why this is happening?

1. We have good county water and normally do not get any buildup of
deposits.

2. It worked fine for years, and the other bath rooms are working
fine too (single story home).

3. No water hammer problems with showers, sinks, etc. - only this
toilet and only recently.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I've had one of those fluid master toilet float switches for 4-5 years
with no problems. But then it started to make a loud bang (water
hammer) when it would shut off. I replaced it with the same type.
After about a month, it did the same thing. I returned it for another
and again, this one worked fine for about a month until the water
hammer started again. I've since turned the toilet supply valve about
halfway closed to limit the water flow and solve the problem. But any
ideas as to why this is happening?

1. We have good county water and normally do not get any buildup of
deposits.

2. It worked fine for years, and the other bath rooms are working
fine too (single story home).

3. No water hammer problems with showers, sinks, etc. - only this
toilet and only recently.

Thanks

Based on my experience, it's possible that the oncoming water pressure has
changed, and that only one plumbing device is sensitive to it. Or, if you
have a pressure regulator, it may be having health issues, getting ready to
fail. Got something like this living on your cold water pipe?
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...gulator_02.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

To prevent water hammer, builders will put a copper stub right at the faucet
(may be in the wall). The air in the stub acts as a shock absorber. Over
time (5 years is long enough), the air will dissolve into the water and the
stub will become water logged and unable to do its job. The simple solution
is to totally drain your plumbing and reintroduce air into the stub. IF you
don't have a stub, there are water hammer arrestor devices yiou can add to
do the job. THese devices have a bladder which prevents the water logging
problem (unless the bladder breaks).

ups.com...