Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Sizes ???

I'm having a garage built (28X32) and have been getting conflicting advice
on garage door size. I was going with the 9X7's but but after hearing from
my dad and a couple of friends with full size 4X4 pick-ups who have replaced
mirrors more than once , I'm considering going to the 10X7 doors as they
wished they had. LOL... Would they (10X7) be that much more than 9X7's ?
Comments or advice???? Thanks

Oh , one more thing... There is always the possibility that my wife will use
the truck as well...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
I'm having a garage built (28X32) and have been getting conflicting advice
on garage door size. I was going with the 9X7's but but after hearing from
my dad and a couple of friends with full size 4X4 pick-ups who have
replaced mirrors more than once , I'm considering going to the 10X7 doors
as they wished they had. LOL... Would they (10X7) be that much more than
9X7's ? Comments or advice???? Thanks

Oh , one more thing... There is always the possibility that my wife will
use the truck as well...LOL...

I used a pair of 9x7's on my 26'x30' garage. I don't have big 4x4 trucks,
so it was no issue for me.
My garage has 8' ceilings, so I had to use them anyhow. If you think you
need bigger doors, now is the time,
before the garage is framed. As for cost, yes they will cost more, but
would probably be a small percentage
of your overall construction costs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"benick" wrote in message
I'm having a garage built (28X32) and have been getting conflicting advice
on garage door size. I was going with the 9X7's but but after hearing from
my dad and a couple of friends with full size 4X4 pick-ups who have

replaced
mirrors more than once , I'm considering going to the 10X7 doors as they
wished they had. LOL... Would they (10X7) be that much more than 9X7's ?
Comments or advice???? Thanks

Oh , one more thing... There is always the possibility that my wife will

use
the truck as well...LOL...

I would go 9x8 minimum... 9 will only give you a couple inches to spare.
10x8 would be GREAT!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
I'm having a garage built (28X32) and have been getting conflicting advice
on garage door size. I was going with the 9X7's but but after hearing from
my dad and a couple of friends with full size 4X4 pick-ups who have
replaced mirrors more than once , I'm considering going to the 10X7 doors
as they wished they had. LOL... Would they (10X7) be that much more than
9X7's ? Comments or advice???? Thanks

The key words are "much more". How about telling us both prices, and then we
can advise you as to whether the difference qualifies as "much more"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:

With that size garage, I see no reason not to put in a standard 16
wide door. Just make sure you have good header, two 2X12 with a
half inch plywood between, screwed & glued, and two jack studs at
each end.

I have a 16' door. I'd much rather have two smaller doors, but my
garage isn't wide enough for a center column between the doors. With
two smaller doors is that you can control how much you want to open,
especially if the garage is heated/cooled.

Also, given that the garage is being built two doors could be put in
different planes (maybe recess one from the other, or something) while a
single door tends to look like a big slab.

Chris