Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Waterlogged Pressure Tank- Update

I emptied the tank today and the pressure was 0 as many of you had
expected. Since the tank had been in place since 1977, I replaced it,
assuming this was no small bladder leak that could be "nursed."
Everything works perfectly now. The old tank was a 20 gallon tank, and
I replaced it with an identical Well-X-Trol. The tank has a drawdown
of about 5 gals at 30-50 psi range.
Obviously I didn't have to deal with the repressurization issue.
I got great service and an excellent price from F.W. Webb-- but
only after calling a second store. The guy at the first store said he
couldn't sell me unless I was a licensed plumber!!
Have you ever heard of such a thing?????
Frank
P.S. I have a stubborn drip at one of the fittings on the brass
"tank T." I will plan to disconnect and re-tape. Anything I can do to
make sure it won't happen a second time?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"frank1492" wrote
I got great service and an excellent price from F.W. Webb-- but
only after calling a second store. The guy at the first store said he
couldn't sell me unless I was a licensed plumber!!
Have you ever heard of such a thing?????

Yes, I have. Webb is one of the larger plumbing supply houses and sells
wholesale. Most of their customers are either commercial, industrial, or
professional accounts and they don't want to compete with (and **** off)
their customers. You'll get a similar answer if you go to Green Giant and
want to buy a can of peas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

P.S. I have a stubborn drip at one of the fittings on the brass
"tank T." I will plan to disconnect and re-tape. Anything I can do to
make sure it won't happen a second time?

If it's brass on brass, do yourself a favor and get some plain old
pipe dope, and put a little on the threads. It is not a sealant, but a
lubricant, and it will let you tighten more, with less effort. trust me,
your welcome

Posted to alt.home.repair

I know this used to be the case at Webb, Grainger and others but many
branches seem to have long since relaxed this policy. This seemed to
have nothing to do with not wanting me as a customer- they would sell
me anything else but the tank! Also the *same* store had no problem
setting up an order for me for a tank 2 days earlier! (I called to
change the tank size and talked to a different guy today.) Plus two
other stores never mentioned the restriction and either one would have
sold me willingly. And the price quotes were extremely friendly.

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:33:00 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"frank1492" wrote
I got great service and an excellent price from F.W. Webb-- but
only after calling a second store. The guy at the first store said he
couldn't sell me unless I was a licensed plumber!!
Have you ever heard of such a thing?????

Yes, I have. Webb is one of the larger plumbing supply houses and sells
wholesale. Most of their customers are either commercial, industrial, or
professional accounts and they don't want to compete with (and **** off)
their customers. You'll get a similar answer if you go to Green Giant and
want to buy a can of peas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I see I am listed on the Webb receipt as a "preferred customer." By
the way, the branch that wouldn't sell me the tank quoted me $18 for
the same item that another branch (the one where I bought the tank)
quoted me $10 for!

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:50:49 -0400, frank1492
wrote:

I know this used to be the case at Webb, Grainger and others but many
branches seem to have long since relaxed this policy. This seemed to
have nothing to do with not wanting me as a customer- they would sell
me anything else but the tank! Also the *same* store had no problem
setting up an order for me for a tank 2 days earlier! (I called to
change the tank size and talked to a different guy today.) Plus two
other stores never mentioned the restriction and either one would have
sold me willingly. And the price quotes were extremely friendly.

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:33:00 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"frank1492" wrote
I got great service and an excellent price from F.W. Webb-- but
only after calling a second store. The guy at the first store said he
couldn't sell me unless I was a licensed plumber!!
Have you ever heard of such a thing?????

Yes, I have. Webb is one of the larger plumbing supply houses and sells
wholesale. Most of their customers are either commercial, industrial, or
professional accounts and they don't want to compete with (and **** off)
their customers. You'll get a similar answer if you go to Green Giant and
want to buy a can of peas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

After you put the teflon tape on. Coat the external threads
with Rectorseal #5. Then, reassemble.

Please do not put Rectorseal into an internal fitting.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"frank1492" wrote in message

P.S. I have a stubborn drip at one of the fittings on
the brass
"tank T." I will plan to disconnect and re-tape. Anything I
can do to
make sure it won't happen a second time?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can a reading from gage but on top tank with tire gage it says 30 psi and I can't get water to come out the faucet on tank no house water anywhere

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...te-436270-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 1682143ef99bbf63$1$2262039$4296dcc3
@news.newsgroupdirect.com,
says...

I can a reading from gage but on top tank with tire gage it says 30 psi and I can't get water to come out the faucet on tank no house water anywhere

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...te-436270-.htm

I had a problem similar to yours a few weeks back. The gauge on the
pressure tank was about 60 psi in my case. Open a spicket with the well
pump breaker cut off and water comes out for only about 2 or 3 seconds.

When the tank was replaced it had a lot of water in it and was very
heavy. Nothing would come out the bottom of the tank where the water
line is hooked to it. A nice big one or more inch hole for the pipe.

We took out the valve stem at the top of the tank that was laying on its
side and it shot a stream of water out about 20 or 30 feet for about 30
seconds it seemed.

We think the water got over the bladder in the tank and when we took the
tank loose the rubber sealed over the hole in the tank so nothing would
come out of the bottom.

If you hold down the steam on the top of the tank valve and let all the
pressure off and have the well pump turned on water will soon come out
of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/24/2021 11:31 AM, kathy wrote:
I can a reading from gage but on top tank with tire gage it says 30 psi
and I can't get water to come out the faucet on tank no house water
anywhere

The tire gauge measures the pressure in the bladder of the pressure
tank. That is as low as it normally goes without letting out air. It
would measure higher if there was water pressure in the tank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 May 2021 18:31:16 +0000, kathy posted for all of us to digest...

I can a reading from gage but on top tank with tire gage it says 30 psi and I can't get water to come out the faucet on tank no house water anywhere

Is your well pump running? Breaker on? No valves turned off?

--
Tekkie