Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Range hood vent options/ self venting or vent through roof ?

I am ready to remodel my kitchen. It involves relocating a stove,
(which is next to an outside wall and vents outside) to another
location that cannot vent to the outside, other than the roof.
In my previous house I had a self venting hood, which I was not crazy
about since it really could not get rid of the smell and heat as well
as an outdoor vented hood. But if I have no choice, I will probably go
that route. But I was wondering if a stove can be vented through the
roof ? And if so, are there any special considerations I must know
about.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mikepier wrote:
I am ready to remodel my kitchen. It involves relocating a stove,
(which is next to an outside wall and vents outside) to another
location that cannot vent to the outside, other than the roof.
In my previous house I had a self venting hood, which I was not crazy
about since it really could not get rid of the smell and heat as well
as an outdoor vented hood. But if I have no choice, I will probably go
that route. But I was wondering if a stove can be vented through the
roof ? And if so, are there any special considerations I must know
about.

Sure. Another pretty extensive thread on the subject here fairly
recently, actually. A google on groups will probably find it.

Only real concerns have to do w/ how far it is, ensuring have sufficient
fan capacity for the length, how to route it avoiding existing other
stuff like HVAC, stack vents, etc., for the physical problems.

Other things to consider are the visual impact of the new vent (not real
good idea to have it come out on the street side right in the middle of
an entrance way roof or somesuch), will it exhaust where an open window
will pick it up, etc., etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If you cook, vent it outside. No reason not to go straight up through the
roof, just make sure to use the proper size duct and through the roof
fittings

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am ready to remodel my kitchen. It involves relocating a stove,
(which is next to an outside wall and vents outside) to another
location that cannot vent to the outside, other than the roof.
In my previous house I had a self venting hood, which I was not crazy
about since it really could not get rid of the smell and heat as well
as an outdoor vented hood. But if I have no choice, I will probably go
that route. But I was wondering if a stove can be vented through the
roof ? And if so, are there any special considerations I must know
about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Self venting is a misnomer, it blows the heat, fumes and grease right back
into the kitchen.
Go with a real vent, that is, thru the roof.
Roger
oups.com...