top of door ball bearing spring

Old September 2nd 07, 12:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default top of door ball bearing spring

I don't know what this is but wondering if anybody knows.

At the top of my closet doors on each door there is a ball bearing
that keeps the door shut
when you close it. Below the ball bearing in the door is a spring.

Does anybody know what this is called and where I can get a
replacement.

Old September 2nd 07, 01:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Art

I don't know what they are called but lowes and home depot sells them.

There are 2 qualities.... junk and decent ones. My builder put in junk.

You can recognize junk because the height adjustment also affects the
spring pressure which is stupid.

Look for the ones where when you adjust the height the spring pressure
doesn't change. Hard to explain but you will see the difference if you find
them. The junk were generic brand from China, the others were a real name
brand of some sort. They fit in the same holes.

The reason the spring pressure issue is important is that if you need the
cheap ones adjusted low the spring is completely compacted and is unhappy
and evenutually breaks the door stop.

oups.com...

Old September 2nd 07, 03:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 8:18 pm, "Art" wrote:
I don't know what they are called but lowes and home depot sells them.

There are 2 qualities.... junk and decent ones. My builder put in junk.

You can recognize junk because the height adjustment also affects the
spring pressure which is stupid.

Look for the ones where when you adjust the height the spring pressure
doesn't change. Hard to explain but you will see the difference if you find
them. The junk were generic brand from China, the others were a real name
brand of some sort. They fit in the same holes.

The reason the spring pressure issue is important is that if you need the
cheap ones adjusted low the spring is completely compacted and is unhappy
and evenutually breaks the door stop.

Thanks - sounds like I had the cheap ones as my wife opened the door
and the ball bearing popped out - I tried to fix it but the ball
bearing keeps
coming out.

Old September 4th 07, 11:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Art

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 1, 8:18 pm, "Art" wrote:
[...]

You might be able to fix it temporarily by bending some of the sheet metal
but it will break again. Buy one of the good ones instead.

Old July 22nd 14, 01:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 1, 2007 7:54:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I don't know what this is but wondering if anybody knows.

At the top of my closet doors on each door there is a ball bearing
that keeps the door shut
when you close it. Below the ball bearing in the door is a spring.

Does anybody know what this is called and where I can get a
replacement.

Use a pair of pliers to slightly narrow the opening on the top (only) of the round cylindrical fitting that screws into housing that's fixed in the top of the door. You don't want to pinch the bottom as then it won't screw back into the door and or the ball won't fit back into fitting.
Old July 25th 14, 11:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Saturday, September 1, 2007 7:54:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I don't know what this is but wondering if anybody knows.

At the top of my closet doors on each door there is a ball bearing
that keeps the door shut
when you close it. Below the ball bearing in the door is a spring.

Does anybody know what this is called and where I can get a
replacement.

It's called a "ball catch" and any big box or hardware store will have it.

Old July 25th 14, 01:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2014 6:22 AM, The Streets wrote:
wrote in message
On Saturday, September 1, 2007 7:54:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I don't know what this is but wondering if anybody knows.

At the top of my closet doors on each door there is a ball bearing
that keeps the door shut
when you close it. Below the ball bearing in the door is a spring.

Does anybody know what this is called and where I can get a
replacement.

It's called a "ball catch" and any big box or hardware store will have it.

The 2007 guy, his house burned down and he now lives
in a nursing home, account of 85% second and third
degree burns. But, I'm sure his estate still needs
ball catches. He can put some in the ashes at the
foundation of his house.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Old July 25th 14, 02:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 25, 2014 7:19:31 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The 2007 guy, his house burned down and he now lives

in a nursing home, account of 85% second and third

degree burns. But, I'm sure his estate still needs

ball catches. He can put some in the ashes at the

foundation of his house.

Such a positive person this day...hope your institution is treating you well!