Industrial Belt Dressing

Old August 30th 07, 05:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Industrial Belt Dressing

Many years ago my dad brought home this belt dressing that
was in a peel back cardboard tube and was made of a sticky
tar looking stuff. He used it on his riding mower v-belt to
keep it fro slipping, and on the a/c belt of the car. Well,
the stuff and my dad are long gone and over the years I've
been looking for it.

Belt dressing sold at auto stores and on-line is usually
that spray stuff that claims to condition the belt and
prevent slippage, but I have found it does little for
slippage.

Now granted, proper belt tensioning will solve just about
any slippage problem but I would still like to find this
stuff.

Anyone even seen anything like this?

kpg

Old August 30th 07, 07:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

wrote:
Many years ago my dad brought home this belt dressing that
was in a peel back cardboard tube and was made of a sticky
tar looking stuff. He used it on his riding mower v-belt to
keep it fro slipping, and on the a/c belt of the car. Well,
the stuff and my dad are long gone and over the years I've
been looking for it.

Belt dressing sold at auto stores and on-line is usually
that spray stuff that claims to condition the belt and
prevent slippage, but I have found it does little for
slippage.

Now granted, proper belt tensioning will solve just about
any slippage problem but I would still like to find this
stuff.

Anyone even seen anything like this?

Not in 20 years or more. W/ the advent of aerosols, the hazard of
applying dressing on belts via other manual methods is so great as to
have removed demand for anything else from the shelves other than some
commercial liquids.

As someone else already noted, belt dressings are not for rubber belts
at all, but were designed for cloth and leather belts (most all
wide/flat) which needed them on the flat pulleys/sheaves that were the
common drive power source of yore.

The following was originally obtained from Gates but initial link was at
another site, and is useful reading...

http://www.reliableplant.com/archives/article.asp?pagetitle=Playing%20the%20percentages& articleid=258kpg*

'Dressing' a house to help it sell..... Adrian Brentnall UK diy 178 August 31st 05 09:16 AM
dressing screens dirt dibbler UK diy 4 April 20th 05 01:12 PM
Dressing up a beam BKeane71 Woodworking 7 January 9th 05 07:08 AM
dressing up bathroom window Ninip Home Repair 3 June 3rd 04 05:06 PM
INSPIRATION - MAHOGANY TRIPLE OPENING WRITING BOX AND DRESSING BOX Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT Woodworking 0 September 16th 03 12:37 AM