Repairing a crack in plastic bathtub

Old August 27th 07, 05:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing a crack in plastic bathtub

"Brian O" wrote in message
I have a plastic bathtub with a small crack in the bottom of the tub.
Short
of tearing it out and shoring it up, is there a way to at least
temporarily
repair the tub that will last a year or so? Thanks in advance.
Brian

Is it really plastic, or is it fiberglass? If the latter, you might post
this question in rec.boats.

Old August 27th 07, 06:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Brian O wrote:
I have a plastic bathtub with a small crack in the bottom of the
tub. Short of tearing it out and shoring it up, is there a way to
at least temporarily repair the tub that will last a year or so?
Thanks in advance.
Brian

It is probably acrylic. If the crack is *small* and isn't spread out
side to side so there is a gap you might try letting some super glue
wick into it. No guarantee it will work. Takes a while to dry
too...don't stress it for 24 hours.

Here are some acrylic adhesives...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=acrylic+adhesive

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old August 27th 07, 07:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Brian O" wrote in message
I have a plastic bathtub with a small crack in the bottom of the tub.
Short
of tearing it out and shoring it up, is there a way to at least
temporarily
repair the tub that will last a year or so? Thanks in advance.
Brian

If it is truly plastic, I don't have any idea, nor do I have much hope of a
long lasting repair. We'd need to know what type of material it is.

If it is fiberglass, it is possible to lay-up some cloth, same as you'd do
with a boat. In any case, done from the tub side it will look like crap,
but if it buys you time and works, you can put up with it for a time.

Old August 27th 07, 07:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in

"Brian O" wrote in message
I have a plastic bathtub with a small crack in the bottom of the tub.
Short
of tearing it out and shoring it up, is there a way to at least
temporarily
repair the tub that will last a year or so? Thanks in advance.
Brian

If it is truly plastic, I don't have any idea, nor do I have much
hope of a long lasting repair. We'd need to know what type of
material it is.

If it is fiberglass, it is possible to lay-up some cloth, same as
you'd do with a boat. In any case, done from the tub side it will
look like crap, but if it buys you time and works, you can put up with
it for a time.

I suppose he could glass the entire tub bottom and blend/fill in the edges
with the curve up the sides.It would take several layers of glass cloth,and
need at least two weeks to cure before putting weight on it. And rough up
the tub surface for adhesion before beginning the fiberglassing.
He would also have to use a tub epoxy paint for the top coat;add another
week for that to cure.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old August 27th 07, 10:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

According to Jim Yanik :

"Brian O" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think you need to go that far - if you can't get at the bottom of the tub:

- Scuff sand the affected area, swab with alcohol.
- Lay down 2-3 layers of fiberglass (top layer 2oz if available)
with an inch or two overlap on the crack.
- Liberally brush on good epoxy (eg: West Systems)
- Lay over top some heat shrink window film, avoid bubbles, solidly
tape the perimeter, and gently heat gun it slightly to take out any wrinkles..
Make sure the epoxy covers the scuffed areas.
- put a small sand bag on top. Or, if you sealed the window film really well,
put in a couple inches of water.
- let sit for 24-48 hours, then, strip the window film and gently soap
wash the epoxy.

Epoxy doesn't stick to heat shrink window film, it's easy to get, and
makes the epoxy almost glass smooth. No sanding required.

Tub should be useable in 3-4 days. If it's takes longer, you can
coax it a little faster with a hair dryer (keep the epoxy _under_
150F).

If you can find a dye match (additive to the epoxy) for the tub, and
work the film/edges properly, you can make it practically invisible.
But I wouldn't trust it for that long. Putting a big sloppy epoxy
patch on the underside would be a better/easier, and you
could just run a small bead of epoxy on the inside of the tub
crack to avoid grud buildup.
--
Chris Lewis,

Old August 27th 07, 11:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

(Chris Lewis) wrote in
:

"Brian O" wrote in message
[...]

that will leave a very obvious patch visible no matter how good you are.
I suggested doing the entire tub bottom so the seam would be at the tub
sides,blending in with the curve.Plus,with all that added bond area,it
would not pop off with the tub bottom flexing under a person's weight.

- Liberally brush on good epoxy (eg: West Systems)
- Lay over top some heat shrink window film, avoid bubbles, solidly
tape the perimeter, and gently heat gun it slightly to take out any
wrinkles.. Make sure the epoxy covers the scuffed areas.
- put a small sand bag on top. Or, if you sealed the window film
really well,
put in a couple inches of water.
- let sit for 24-48 hours, then, strip the window film and gently soap
wash the epoxy.

Epoxy doesn't stick to heat shrink window film, it's easy to get, and
makes the epoxy almost glass smooth. No sanding required.

Tub should be useable in 3-4 days. If it's takes longer, you can
coax it a little faster with a hair dryer (keep the epoxy _under_
150F).

Epoxy doesn't *fully* cure in 3-4 days.
Your patch would not gain full strength for a couple of weeks.Putting a
person's body weight on it would likely break the bond or it would crack at
the original crack.

Old August 30th 07, 11:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 11:43 am, "Brian O" wrote:
I have a plastic bathtub with a small crack in the bottom of the tub. Short
of tearing it out and shoring it up, is there a way to at least temporarily
repair the tub that will last a year or so? Thanks in advance.
Brian

I had a cracked fiberglass shower stall flooring, go to homedepot or
lowes and look for a fiberglass repair its in the plumbing pvc section
cost about 9.00 mine was almond colored and the mix was white, really
smells so make sure you have ventlation when using it.let dry 1 week.
yes 1 week.

then read up on painting or staining fiberglass tubs.. there's alot of
info out on it.make sure its smooth and working before you paint!!

Old August 31st 07, 12:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

If the split in a patched shower pan suddenly lets go, it may not be much of a
problem. If a patched split in a bathtub full of water lets go wide open, you
may suddenly have several thousands of dollars of damage to your abode.

Makes my butt hurt to think about the crack in the tub opening up. Ouch!
Old August 31st 07, 01:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Look in the yellow pages under Tubs and Baths and possible Water. There are
outfits that can repair this if the crack isn't too bad.

--

Thanks.

oups.com...