Posted to alt.home.repair
al al is offline

Default What to use to cover nail heads and fill holes?

Just replaced some exterior soffit and fascia. What's best for
covering nail heads and filling the holes before painting? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

al wrote:
Just replaced some exterior soffit and fascia. What's best for
covering nail heads and filling the holes before painting? Thanks.

Bondo

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"al" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just replaced some exterior soffit and fascia. What's best for
covering nail heads and filling the holes before painting? Thanks.

If you've used galv. nails and hammered them flush, you don't need any
filler - just paint with universal primer, then exterior acrylic. The heads
will barely show.
If used common nails or uncoated nails, practically any filler will
eventually pop out or dislodge, once the metal begins rusting and
expanding, making a worse outcome than skipping the filler altogether.
I also find it handy, if later repairs are needed, to *not* have filled
countersunk nails, so one can see the attachment points, and use pry bar at
correct point, with less damage to wood.
Roger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:31:03 -0700, "Roger Taylor"
sherryrogeratcomcastdotnet wrote:

oups.com...
:
:If you've used galv. nails and hammered them flush, you don't need any
:filler - just paint with universal primer, then exterior acrylic. The heads
:will barely show.
:If used common nails or uncoated nails, practically any filler will
:eventually pop out or dislodge, once the metal begins rusting and
:expanding, making a worse outcome than skipping the filler altogether.
:I also find it handy, if later repairs are needed, to *not* have filled
:countersunk nails, so one can see the attachment points, and use pry bar at
:correct point, with less damage to wood.
:Roger

That's interesting. I just purchased a box of very small nails to attach
thin trim strips to my garage door, whose plywood I'm replacing. The
nails are 1/2" brads, ungalvanized (I didn't see any galvanized,
although I could have bought brass for a lot more money). I figured I'd
use Plastic Wood to fill the holes before prime/paint. Maybe I'll leave
the countersunk heads instead.

I was going to use Fixall for imperfections until I read the label and
it said that paint would eventually fall off the stuff when it had
absorbed moisture.

Dan