Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hercules Hooks

By now I'm sure that everyone on earth has seen the tv commercials for
the Hercules Hooks. We got that loud mouth Billy Mays yelling about
them every 10 minutes on the tube and telling us how we can hang
hundreds of pounds by these tiny pieces of wire stuck into a sheetrock
wall. Well, I really doubt those pieces of wire are going to hold
much more than a few pictures, and even if they are strong, the
sheetrock is not going to buckle and eventually go into destruct mode.

However, in honor of our ruined ear drums from listening to that loud
mouth, it's only fair that these Hercules Hooks be given the ultimate
test. Lets hang Billy Mays by one of them. If the hook really works,
he dies and we wont have to hear his big mouth again. If it fails, he
gets to live, and his Hercules Hook commercials will cease to be shown
on tv any longer. This sounds fair to me !!!!!

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
By now I'm sure that everyone on earth has seen the tv commercials for
the Hercules Hooks. We got that loud mouth Billy Mays yelling about
them every 10 minutes on the tube and telling us how we can hang
hundreds of pounds by these tiny pieces of wire stuck into a sheetrock
wall. Well, I really doubt those pieces of wire are going to hold
much more than a few pictures, and even if they are strong, the
sheetrock is not going to buckle and eventually go into destruct mode.

However, in honor of our ruined ear drums from listening to that loud
mouth, it's only fair that these Hercules Hooks be given the ultimate
test. Lets hang Billy Mays by one of them. If the hook really works,
he dies and we wont have to hear his big mouth again. If it fails, he
gets to live, and his Hercules Hook commercials will cease to be shown
on tv any longer. This sounds fair to me !!!!!

Well, one advantage of not having cable or dish, I guess...I've _NOT_
seen the commercials and have no idea who Billy Mays is.

But, one of the local news stations did an on-air test of something I
gather must be what you're talking about -- they held about 40-lb before
tearing out of the wall in several tries.

That they don't live up to advertising undoubtedly won't have much
bearing on the continued showing of commercials, however, as long as
they're selling enough to make it a paying proposition...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:17:40 -0500, dpb wrote:

...I've _NOT_
seen the commercials and have no idea who Billy Mays is.

Try too keep it that way :-))
--
Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair

What a GREAT idea!
I think his brother is that Ed the Plumber guy.. .another screamer.
We could hang 'em BOTH up!

--
Kate
______

The shortest distance between two points,
can be a lot more fun in a Jeep!

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
What a GREAT idea!
I think his brother is that Ed the Plumber guy.. .another screamer.
We could hang 'em BOTH up!

Dittos. What marketing genius ever thought that a fat bearded guy
yelling at us would want to buy this junk?
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Once you see his face you'll know who he is......
Think of Oxyclean.....
He's also knows as "Bear" in the gay community since he's supposedly
one of them....
Too bad he dont advertise razors, he needs one !!!!!

Lots of info below.....

http://www.amiannoying.com/(S(hzh1lp...w.aspx?ID=5317
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Mays
http://www.listentome.net/stuff61.php
http://www.atmospheric-violence.com/mays/

But, one of the local news stations did an on-air test of something I
gather must be what you're talking about -- they held about 40-lb before
tearing out of the wall in several tries.

That they don't live up to advertising undoubtedly won't have much
bearing on the continued showing of commercials, however, as long as
they're selling enough to make it a paying proposition...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

Kate wrote:

What a GREAT idea!
I think his brother is that Ed the Plumber guy.. .another screamer.
We could hang 'em BOTH up!

Dittos. What marketing genius ever thought that a fat bearded guy
yelling at us would want to buy this junk?
Frank

Accordig to what I've read about Billy Mays, his carny pitchman style
might not make "us" (you and me) want to buy the productshe screams
about, but he's done wonders for the companies he's fronted for.

I'm certain he wouldn't have had the long run on TV he's had if that
weren't the case.

The caption I placed above this photo, which I couldn't keep myself from
linking to my own website says it all:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/mickeys.html

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Agree totally also. I thought I was the only one that couldn't stand his
yelling at the top of his lungs. Besides Hercules Hook and Oxiclean he
pitched something like Orange Glow where they scuffed up a piece of wood
floor with a sander, and that stuff was supposed to make it look like
brand new. I think there might have been some other snake oil type of
crap he yelled about also. Even if I was interested in any of the junk
he peddled, I wouldn't buy it just because of him. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 20:50:45 -0500, (lp13-30) wrote:

Agree totally also. I thought I was the only one that couldn't stand his
yelling at the top of his lungs. Besides Hercules Hook and Oxiclean he
pitched something like Orange Glow where they scuffed up a piece of wood
floor with a sander, and that stuff was supposed to make it look like
brand new. I think there might have been some other snake oil type of
crap he yelled about also. Even if I was interested in any of the junk
he peddled, I wouldn't buy it just because of him. Larry

And I thought I was the only one who wont buy certain products because
of the company's commercials. There's that other screamer, "Ask
Lesko" who is even more irritating than Billy Mays. Even if he had
something to sell that I was interested in, I would not simply because
I'd be supporting his most irritating commercials, and then there's
those sickening boring Subway commercials....... Oh well, I could go
on......
And on the other side of the coin, if I like the commercials that a
company does, I am more likely to choose their products if it's an
item I can use. I dont just buy something because I saw a commercial,
but for example, I like one of the beer companies commercials, and
their beer is one brand I like, so I am more likely to buy theirs. And
then there's a margarine that has really funny commercials, so I am
inclinded to at least see if their price is comparable to the other
brands I'd normally buy.

Whether its Billy Mays or Lesko or any other screamer, I absolutely
refuse to buy their products.

By the way, I was at Walmart yesterday and guess what they are
selling.... The Hercules Hooks, complete with an unshaven Billy Mays
photo. I wonder how many people will get injured and how many walls
will get wrecked due to those things and the bad information on the
commercials. While it may be possible for those hooks to hold 150lbs
(as shown on the commercial), if they are made from a strong alloy,
there is no sheetrock wall that is going to handle it for any length
of time, and if a child happens to be in the way when the sheetrock
fails, who gets sued? Billy Mays, or the manufacturer? I have never
understood why people use stuff like that anyhow. An old fashioned
picture hanger makes the same size hole, and anyone that hangs
anything heavier than a common picture needs to have their head
examined if they use flimsy stuff like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I dont just buy something because I saw a commercial,
but for example, I like one of the beer companies
commercials, and their beer is one brand I like, so
I am more likely to buy theirs. ....

While advertising is about impulse buying, it
is more about creating awareness and promoting
brand loyalty.

So I agree with you that quality commercials
increase brand loyalty. If only the reverse
were true! Then there would be a drop in
Guiness' sales in response to their "brilliant"
commercials. Of course, Miller is running a
close second for dumb commercials. Maybe they
could use Billy Mays to sell Miller credit
cards with "frequent drinker" award points!

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RickH wrote:
still better than adhesive-based hangers. I'd much rather repair a
hole in drywall any day, than try to repair the torn drywall paper
left from removing an adhesive picture hook. For years I had to
convince my wife "please use a nail, or thumbtack, not an adhesive
hangar or scotch tape", I can fix a hole but torn paper is a PIA.

Simple--take the hammer and make a hole...done!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 1:00 pm, wrote:
[...]

The product seems directed toward people who have a hard time figuring
out how to hang a picture, single women, men who played video games
their whole youth, etc. Anything that makes a hole in the wall is
still better than adhesive-based hangers. I'd much rather repair a
hole in drywall any day, than try to repair the torn drywall paper
left from removing an adhesive picture hook. For years I had to
convince my wife "please use a nail, or thumbtack, not an adhesive
hangar or scotch tape", I can fix a hole but torn paper is a PIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, Billy Mays' annoying commercials aside, I will admit to trying the
hooks. I got them at the local borg (I think). They were a couple of
bucks for 6, no more expensive than the "Nail and Hook" style in the
blister packs.

I haven't tried to hang a 40# object or a person, but as far as
hanging an average sized picture in the living room or a dustpan in
the workshop, they work fine. In fact, if the hook is going to show,
they are a lot less visible that the N&H style. They actually do just
poke through the wall without any tools. They work equally as well in
a 3/4" plaster/sheetrock combination as well as simple drywall.
Granted, they're not going to work if you happen to be hanging
something where a stud is located.

YMMV

On 12 Aug, 14:00, wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:16:36 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

OK, Billy Mays' annoying commercials aside, I will admit to trying the
hooks. I got them at the local borg (I think). They were a couple of
bucks for 6, no more expensive than the "Nail and Hook" style in the
blister packs.

I haven't tried to hang a 40# object or a person, but as far as
hanging an average sized picture in the living room or a dustpan in
the workshop, they work fine. In fact, if the hook is going to show,
they are a lot less visible that the N&H style. They actually do just
poke through the wall without any tools. They work equally as well in
a 3/4" plaster/sheetrock combination as well as simple drywall.
Granted, they're not going to work if you happen to be hanging
something where a stud is located.

That proves that Billy Mays is NOT a stud !!!! lol.
Oh damn, I couldn't resist.

YMMV

On 12 Aug, 14:00, wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

These hooks were sold through Lee Valley long before Billy Mays started
hawking them.

When I first saw the commercial I thought "He must be hitting hard times,
because he is pushing these cheap little wire hooks that don't earn much
money and so he is probably not being paid as much as they would for a real
revenue generating product".

On 12 Aug, 14:00, wrote:
[...]

Hooks for 1/4" pegboard Terry[_2_] Metalworking 21 July 26th 07 08:51 PM
Hercules Hooks? [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 14th 06 11:43 PM
Sail hooks Frayed Knots Metalworking 6 January 27th 06 10:33 AM
Hercules Gap Bed Lathe info wanted [email protected] Metalworking 4 June 24th 05 05:19 AM
Hooks - where from? Sim G. UK diy 2 June 13th 05 08:23 AM