Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Repair Book/Manual

Can anyone reccomend a good home repair manual for a first time
homeowner. I am looking for something that explains everything but am
mainly inetrested in framing, plumbing and electrical (the wife wants
another bathroom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 11:02 pm, Surprise Me wrote:
Can anyone reccomend a good home repair manual for a first time
homeowner. I am looking for something that explains everything but am
mainly inetrested in framing, plumbing and electrical (the wife wants
another bathroom).

buffalo ny: read in between her lines: she actually wants a better
bathroom first;
phone the plumber to fix it, so you get the credit for the repairs and
he gets the blame for future malfunctions.
your showerhead is too slow get a new 10gpm off ebay.
your toilet refill time is too long, replace the fill valve and
fluidmaster.com shows you how.
install fluidmaster's flusher fixer for the flush you need.
your exhaust fan is missing or too noisy, get the low sones of noise
model and spend a couple hundred on the fan itself.
your throne tv is missing or broken, get a new one.
and while you are at it, the toilet seat is old and loose!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 20:27:43 -0700, buffalobill
wrote:

buffalo ny: read in between her lines: she actually wants a better
bathroom first;
phone the plumber to fix it, so you get the credit for the repairs and
he gets the blame for future malfunctions.
your showerhead is too slow get a new 10gpm off ebay.
your toilet refill time is too long, replace the fill valve and
fluidmaster.com shows you how.
install fluidmaster's flusher fixer for the flush you need.
your exhaust fan is missing or too noisy, get the low sones of noise
model and spend a couple hundred on the fan itself.
your throne tv is missing or broken, get a new one.
and while you are at it, the toilet seat is old and loose!

Well thanks for your advice but the bathroom we have is fine, she
wants another one. There is no way I am paying a contractor to do it,
I'll take the rap for my mistakes because they will be minor and few.
I did home improvements when I was in college 20 years ago, I just
want to do everything to code and not half assed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Surprise Me wrote in message

Can anyone reccomend a good home repair manual for a first time
homeowner. I am looking for something that explains everything but am
mainly inetrested in framing, plumbing and electrical (the wife wants
another bathroom).

If you live near any public library, it probably has a
couple of shelves on this topic. Publishers of good
homeowners' manuals include Readers Digest and
tool makers e.g. Black & Decker.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Surprise Me wrote:
Can anyone reccomend a good home repair manual for a first time
homeowner. I am looking for something that explains everything but am
mainly inetrested in framing, plumbing and electrical (the wife wants
another bathroom).

The Reader's Digest Complete Do-it-yourself Manual
ISBN 0-89577-010-5

Available at the Reader's Digest website:
http://www.rdstore.com/product_detail.cfm?pid=349

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Do it yourself Home Improvement" with 3000 color photos and 400 projects.
Published by DK, authored by Julian Cassell, Peter Parha, Theresa Coleman.
Available at Books a Million, Borders and other such chains. $35 and worth
it. I have Readers Digest too, and this is far better.

Surprise Me wrote in message
Can anyone reccomend a good home repair manual for a first time
homeowner. I am looking for something that explains everything but am
mainly inetrested in framing, plumbing and electrical (the wife wants
another bathroom).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Surprise Me writes:

Can anyone reccomend a good home repair manual for a first time
homeowner. I am looking for something that explains everything but am
mainly inetrested in framing, plumbing and electrical (the wife wants
another bathroom).

You already have a couple of dead tree recommendations.
Personally, when I want to know something, I ask Google.