Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Lawn Mower question

Has anyone used any of the electric lawn mowers? If so, do they cut
well? Are they durable, and can they handle heavy weeds and tall
grass? I'm considering buying one because I am tired of fighting with
gas ones that dont want to start, not to mention I never have gas when
I need it. What brands are good? Do they use a regular power mower
type blade?

Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 7:35 am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 03:12:23 -0500, victor_k5 wrote:
Has anyone used any of the electric lawn mowers? If so, do they cut
well? Are they durable, and can they handle heavy weeds and tall
grass? I'm considering buying one because I am tired of fighting with
gas ones that dont want to start, not to mention I never have gas when
I need it. What brands are good? Do they use a regular power mower
type blade?

They don't do well in heavy/tall grass. Buy a reliable gas mower like a
Honda Harmony series HRS216PDA. It WILL START on the first or second pull
if you simply take care of you fuel by keeping it in a closed container
and adding a stabilizing product like StaBil. Other than that, no
maintenance needed other than a yearly oil change. Hell I have one I
bought used 3 yrs ago and use it to trim around trees in my back yard.
I've never changed the oil in it and other than adjusting the choke, it's
been trouble free.

Say what? You never change the oil?

As for the Honda mowers, I was a big fan of them too, but my opinion
just went down a bit. I have a 3 speed Harmony that is about 8 years
old. It's been great, up till now. The transmission just went from
wear. I used it to cut about .3 acres. Really bad part is the
tranny costs $130. Not sure what to do really, as the rest of it is
still in great shape. But I guess 8 years isn't all that bad either.

If you had a little swatch of grass to mow in front of
your patio, maybe an electric would be ok for you but from your questions
it doesn't sound like a good choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
Has anyone used any of the electric lawn mowers? If so, do they cut
well? Are they durable, and can they handle heavy weeds and tall
grass? I'm considering buying one because I am tired of fighting with
gas ones that dont want to start, not to mention I never have gas when
I need it. What brands are good? Do they use a regular power mower
type blade?

==
We have three lawnmowers--An electric start Toro gasoline mower and two
corded Black & Decker
mowers--the cheaper green one and an upgraded red one. My favorite of the
bunch is the green B&D. It has more power, is much
lighter to push than the Toro and will cut the highest weeds on our property
and we have some pretty high ones from time to time. We bought the Toro
after the the chute cover broke on the green B&D and it spews grass
clippings all over. I can't fix that chute cover. It attaches to
a plastic 'o' on the mower body. The 'o' broke and won't hold the rod
anymore. The red B&D is larger and heavier than the green one.
My son likes the red one. I love the green one and still use it even with
the clippings flying. The Toro doesn't like grass over a few inches long.
It stalls all the time if it's not on the highest setting. I guess that's
why they sell it with an electric start. I hate having to mess with gasoline
as well
and the electric products are getting much more durable than they used to
be. You can't beat the cheap green B&D corded mower. It's the
best lawnmower I've ever owned for tall grass. That thing just doesn't quit.
I've had it for several years and it keeps on going, even when its
left out in the rain. Just wish the chute cover was more durable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 10:08 pm, Al Bundy wrote:
Heathcliff wrote groups.com:

On Aug 16, 3:12 am, wrote:
Has anyone used any of the electric lawn mowers? If so, do they cut
well? Are they durable, and can they handle heavy weeds and tall
grass? I'm considering buying one because I am tired of fighting with
gas ones that dont want to start, not to mention I never have gas when
I need it. What brands are good? Do they use a regular power mower
type blade?

Vic

In my youth (1960s) I cut the grass in our yard with a corded electric
mower. It did fine for mowing our average suburban lawn, maybe
quarter or fifth of an acre. The cord is a PITA but you get used to
it, how to plan your route so it doesn't get in the way. I only cut
it once Apart from that the mower always worked fine. The design
was basically just like a gas mower with an electric motor instead of
a gas engine, and an on/off switch instead of the pull starter. The
one we had was very reliable, as you would expect -- it's a very
simple device, very similar to an electric fan really. On the other
hand, the first time I used a gas mower, it was wow -- this thing is
really powerful, and I can just go wherever I want! -- H

In my youth I cut the grass in the yard with a reel mower. Thank
goodness gramps yard was flat.- Hide quoted text -

I remember Grampas' wheel driven push mower with the curvy blades,a
big yard with steep bank and 4 Walnut trees dotted around. He was 86yo
when all that(+ being a railroad man and farmer) finally killed Him..I
ai'nt nuthin near tough compared to that.