Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing toilet supply line valve.....

I'm replacing a toilet supply line valve.

Toilet is on lowest level of house, and supply line valve is
literally the lowest valve in the house and supply line is
literally the lowest water line in the house.

I plan to turn off the main shut off, and open cold water valves up on
third floor (the upper level) and the cold water valve in that same
lowest level bathroom's sink.

Then I plan to open the toilet supply line valve and drain that line
into a low flat pan before removing and replacing the old valve.

Is there anything obvious (or maybe more importantly, not so obvious)
that I'm missing regarding draining that line?

I *think* I've got the drainage issues / air issues / vacuum issues
covered,
but I'd rather avoid draining 10 gallons of water into a pan that holds
maybe 2 gallons.

I'll have the wet dry shop vac and a bunch of towels handy in any event.

Thanks for your comments.
Posted to alt.home.repair
BZ BZ is offline

I replaced my toilet supply valves a few years ago. I don't remember
how much water drained out, but it wasn't enough to surprise me.

My advice would be to disconnect the water supply line to the toilet
first, and then drain the pipes through that before removing the valve.
That way if your pan fills up, you can still turn off the valve, empty
the pan, and open the valve again. You'll still get a little more
drainage when you remove the valve itself, but probably not much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jJim McLaughlin wrote in
:

[...]

No plumbing wizard but I would think, assuming the valve somewhat works,
you can use the valve to stop the draining so you can empty pans, wring
out towels, call 911, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 9:40 pm, BZ wrote:
I replaced my toilet supply valves a few years ago. I don't remember
how much water drained out, but it wasn't enough to surprise me.

My advice would be to disconnect the water supply line to the toilet
first, and then drain the pipes through that before removing the valve.
That way if your pan fills up, you can still turn off the valve, empty
the pan, and open the valve again. You'll still get a little more
drainage when you remove the valve itself, but probably not much.

Why not flush the toilet several times before taking the supply line
off to make sure you have nearly all of the water out?

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Before touching the toilet valve/supply line, open the faucets in the
bathroom sink next to the toilet to lower the water level down to that
point, there won't be much left below that point providing you shut off the
supply to the house.

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:
[...]

Please read and comprehend the initial post before replying.