Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Default Door leaks on new Kitchenaid dishwasher

I just installed a Kitchenaid KUDK03ITBL dishwasher which was delivered
today. On the 1st run, I noticed if the door is opened during the cycle
(even with the recommended 5 second delay after unlatching the handle) about
a tablespoon of water pours out of the right hand corner of the door after
it is re-shut. Same amount each time, regardless of how long the door is
open. The bottom edge of the door extends beneath the front of the
stainless steel tub when open, and it seems a bit of water leaks into the
extended door bottom, then runs out onto the floor when the door is re-shut.
The water level in the machine seems about right, just below the mid-line of
the bottom heating element. Also, the fill float which determines the
amount of water moves freely & is not adjustable. The machine is brand
new, so returning it is the obvious solution, but I'm wondering what might
be the cause of this. The machine is level in all planes & the various
seals appear to be fine. The door does not leak while the machine is
running, just briefly immediately after opening/shutting. I should add this
is at least the 10th dishwasher I have installed, but I'm wondering if
anything I may have over-looked might account for this leak & save me the
hassle of a return.

TIA

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan" wrote in message
The machine is brand new, so returning it is the obvious solution, but I'm
wondering what might be the cause of this. The machine is level in all
planes & the various seals appear to be fine. The door does not leak
while the machine is running, just briefly immediately after
opening/shutting. I should add this is at least the 10th dishwasher I
have installed, but I'm wondering if anything I may have over-looked might
account for this leak & save me the hassle of a return.

The obvious solution is to NOT return it but to find the problem and fix it
or have it fixed. Do your really want to drag it out again?

First step is to determine the cause. I wonder if when the unit was packed
if something got caught in the gasket and it deformed a bit. Now that it is
installed, if that was the problem the gasket may come back to proper shape.

Take a look at where the water runs when you open the door. Remember, the
water is splashed all about and it may not be running down properly, or it
may drip from the top rack. Make sure nothing is impeding the gasket or the
door closing. A missed piece of packing tape can be a PITA.

Next step is to just let it run. I'd bet that once the machine starts, we
don't open the door at all but maybe once or twice in a year to add
something. As bad as the TV can be, it is far more entertaining than
watching the spray arm of a DW come to a halt. "Hey Bubba, bring over a six
pack tonight and we'll watch the dishwasher fill and drain."

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...
The obvious solution is to NOT return it but to find the problem and fix
it or have it fixed. Do your really want to drag it out again?

I get your points, but I don't agree. I have a good amount of experience
with appliances, and it's not something obvious. Needless to say I'd
prefer it just WORK, and I thought I'd post on the outside chance someone
had the same experience with this model and knew of an answer, but pulling
out a dishwasher's not that big a deal. I'd rather return it now (exchange
it, they can pick up this one when they drop off the new one) then piddle
around with it until they are less inclined to just do an exchange. Frankly
after looking at this thing again, it may be a design flaw. There's very
little space between the water level & the top of the tub. I even tried
canting it backwards slightly to lower the water level in the front, same
deal. I see what you mean about how often it's opened during the cycle, but
I've owned more dishwashers than I can remember living various places & this
it the 1st one I've encountered that did this. It soaks the insulation,
which will get mildewed, cause rust etc. A dishwasher can last 10 years or
so, I'm not getting stuck with a $600 lemon for that long.

Dan