Posted to alt.home.repair

Default badly rotted rim joist under back door

Hello all,

I have a badly rotted rim joist under my back door running a 8' span.
I can't seem to get any contractors that are willing to do the
job....either to small of a job or they don't the type of work.
Question is this:

Is this a type of job that someone who is as my father says "jack of
all trades, Master of none". I have been around tools and general
home improvement all of my life. If this is a job for the DIY in us
all, How exactly would I go about it(Kinda step by step). Working
around rainy weather is not an issue here in Richmond VA since we are
in the middle of a drought.

I currently have the deck and siding removed and I am
patiently(Quickly evaporating) waiting to get this done and on to the
rest of my remodel.(Wife is starting to get involved now.

Please Help Me Out, anyone.

Thanks,
campkropp

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 9:07 pm, campkropp wrote:
[...]

It's going to depend on a number of factors. For example, which
direction do the floor joist run? What is going to happen if you
remove this chunk of rim joist? We can probably get you through many
projects involving new construction, but remodelling is another thing--
usually takes some head scratching on site. Pretty hard to do it from
here. Post some pics for starters.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"campkropp" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If you're a fairly competent do-it-yourselfer, and rent the appropriate
house jacks, you should be able
to do this with no problem. If the rim joist runs perdendicular to the
floor joists, and you have a basement
or crawl space it will be easier. I had to do this several years ago on my
cape cod when the wall sheathing,
rim joist and mud sill all were rotted out from moisture and carpenter
ants. I jacked up the side of the house
a fraction of an inch so I had just enough room to remove the mud sill and a
rim joist and replace them with treated lumber.
I made the mistake of buying several basement jack posts to do the lifting
which was a big mistake, since they
aren't designed our intended to lift. It worked, but what I really needed
were several house jacks which are made to lift.
You want to adjust each jack a little at a time and lift evenly. You'll
also need a reciprocating saw to cut out the bad portion
and possibly cut thru nails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"marson" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Try 'house leveling' in the yellow pages. These are the people with the
experience in changing out parts of floor system, more so than a regular
contractor. Is this rim joist the one parallel with most of the joists, or
the one that caps the ends? Either way, if it is rotted, likely the sill
plate is too, so that area will need to be ever-so-slightly jacked anyway,
to replace that. (Not to mention sistering the ends of any rotted joists.)
If right under back door, can we assume the rot is from the usual fubar'd
door sill flashing, and/or wood being buried in the concrete of back porch?

The other guy is right, can't really advise on this without eyeballs on
site. You need a pro for this one. I grew up in the business, and I would
hire this out. Sounds like you have already done the plausible DIY part,
clearing the road for them by doing the demo work. Barring complications,
shouldn't be more than a couple days work.

aem sends...