Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I'm such an idiot!

I took the flywheel off my Tecumseh lawn mower today because the kill
switch wasn't working right and it's under the flywheel. I took off the
nut, pried up on the flywheel, and rapped on the end of the shaft a
couple of times and it popped off. Just like it's supposed to. Later I
went to put it back together and the nut wouldn't fit. I had messed up
the end of the shaft by hitting it with a steel hammer. Then I messed
up the nut trying to get it to start anyway.

I don't think I can straighten it up with a triangle file, and all my
dies and most of my taps are metric, so tomorrow I gotta figure out what
size threads they are from the nut and buy a die for it -- and hope I
can chase the threads. (looks about like 7/16" fine thread)

Now here's the really stupid part: I had a 7 pound block of lead just
sitting on my workbench that I could have used instead of the hammer. I
nice beer-can sized cylinder that would have made a terrific dead-blow
hammer. (Also I should have put the nut loosely back on before I
hammered on it so I could use the nut to chase the threads if I messed
them up a little. Might not have worked though, cuz the shaft seems to
be harder than the nut)

Just putting a penny on the end of the shaft before hitting it with the
hammer probably would have been enough to keep from damaging it.

Dumb, dumb, dumb...

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote in
:

[...]

**** happens - good ****, bad ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/26/2007 10:36 PM zxcvbob said the following:
[...]

Next time. before pounding on the shaft, leave the nut on with the top
of the nut a hair above the top of the threaded shaft. Pound on the nut.
There's less chance of damaging the shaft or threads.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in
:

[...]

Learned that one long ago. If I have to do anything that may compromise
the end, if there's room, I toss a nut on - cutting bolts, threaded rod,
etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
zxcvbob wrote in
:

[...]

Most experience and knowledge comes from bad judgement. I'll bet you five
bucks you never do the same thing again.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Aug 26, 11:18 pm, Al Bundy wrote:
willshak wrote :

[...]

etc.- Hide quoted text -

Thats why gear pullers are around if not put the screw on and hit
gently