Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What could (gradually?) kill a dryer's motor?

I have a Kenmore dryer (model no. 110.96588210) that starts only when
cool, and sometimes turns off during a cycle when the motor heats
up... and always has a deep groaning sound when
starting up...

I was advised by one of the experts in this newsgroup that it needs a
new motor (thank you, Todd).

After replacing the support roller wheels (all 4) - which was much
needed, as each of the older ones was about 1-2 mm shorter (worn out)
in diameter, the dryer's drum rotates much more smoothly and is
certainly less noisy - but... the problem described above still
exists.

So, I came to the conclusion that the expert is right and I am about
to order a new motor for my dryer.

However, as someone who used to be familiar with the theory behind the
operation of electric motors, I am curious what could make this motor
behave so strangely. Isn't a motor either "dead" or "alive"? I could
understand an unusual load (i.e. one that the motor was not designed
for) overloading the motor and leading to its thermal protection to
shut it off. But now, all is supposedly well - so why would it
overheat?

Could this be indicating some additional *mechanical* problem,
stemming from some wear in the motor assembly itself? (after all, it
is 12 years old)

Just curious. I would appreciate any tip or hint in this regard.

Thanks,
Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
[...]

Bearings are certainly one possibility that are mechanical and certainly
could be a contributor. A weak start cap (assuming it has one) and/or
failed centrifugal switch could be another....there's a veritable
plethora of things that can be contributors...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

dpb, thank you for your answer.

The motor in my dryer is P/N 279787 and can be seen he

http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi...9787&brand=WPL

Does such a motor have bearings?

Can you see from the picture/description whether it has a start cap?

Does it have a centrifugal switch?

I am also curious because when I replaced the (12 year old) belt with
a new one, the new one that I bought was somewhat narrower. I wonder
whether the new belt could be any contributor to the motor's failure?

Thanks,
Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 9:00 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
I have a Kenmore dryer (model no. 110.96588210) that starts only when
cool, and sometimes turns off during a cycle when the motor heats
up... and always has a deep groaning sound when
starting up...

Check Craigslist for the closest large city. There's at least one free dryer
every week (at least there is in mine - Houston).

:-)

Thanks for the tip. I can actually afford buying a new one, but if I
replace my defective dryer where is the fun in reparing it? :-)

Regards,
Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
On Aug 8, 8:19 pm, dpb wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Does it have a shaft? Presuming it does, the shaft has to turn on
_something_...

Can you see from the picture/description whether it has a start cap?

Does it have a centrifugal switch?

Don't know...look on the parts list(s), etc., do picture(s) show the
giveaway can? May be internal...many don't, some do, it's just one
possibility...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 9:43 pm, dpb wrote:
wrote:

http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi...m=279787&brand...

Does such a motor have bearings?

Does it have a shaft? Presuming it does, the shaft has to turn on
_something_...

Can you see from the picture/description whether it has a start cap?

Does it have a centrifugal switch?

Don't know...look on the parts list(s), etc., do picture(s) show the
giveaway can? May be internal...many don't, some do, it's just one
possibility...

--

Thanks for the help so far. In the meanwhile I discovered the
following incredible resource:

http://applianceguru.com/forum2/1263-1.html

Which describes exactly my problem - and has nice instructions how to
replace the motor.

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
The motor in my dryer is P/N 279787 and can be seen he

http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi...9787&brand=WPL

Does such a motor have bearings?

Can you see from the picture/description whether it has a start cap?

Every motor has bearings. Some are sleeve type, others are ball or roller
type. Over time the bearing wear out, lubrication dries up and the motor
has more frictional resistance to overcome. Larger motors can be rebuilt,
but most smaller ones are throw-aways.

Some motors can be lubricated and will last for many years running 24/7,
others are sealed and required no lubrication.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 18:05:46 -0700, "
wrote:

On Aug 8, 9:00 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
I have a Kenmore dryer (model no. 110.96588210) that starts only when
cool, and sometimes turns off during a cycle when the motor heats
up... and always has a deep groaning sound when
starting up...

Check Craigslist for the closest large city. There's at least one free dryer
every week (at least there is in mine - Houston).

:-)

Thanks for the tip. I can actually afford buying a new one, but if I
replace my defective dryer where is the fun in reparing it? :-)

And then it won't match the washer. I can't stand when it doesn't
match the washer. I can't sleep at night. In the day, I'm tired and
I have trouble steering the car.

You know it is traditional that the washer match the dryer. It goes
back thousands of years. The same woman who washes the clothes hangs
them on the line.

I don't think they have free dryers in Baltimore, but otoh, I've never
looked. I will look if mine ever breaks, although they don't have
many parts and it's probably easier to fix it than to lug a whole
dryer home.

Regards,
Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 10:59 pm, mm wrote:

And then it won't match the washer. I can't stand when it doesn't
match the washer. I can't sleep at night. In the day, I'm tired and
I have trouble steering the car.

You know it is traditional that the washer match the dryer. It goes
back thousands of years. The same woman who washes the clothes hangs
them on the line.

LOL - I can't stand it either when doesn't match the washer. Last time
when I tried to insert the screw into the washer it didn't match - the
screw was too thick for the washer. I had to replace the woman. :-)

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

Very possibly worn motor berrings (the sleeve around the motor
shaft) and also likely the lubricating oil dried out.

My very old Whirlpool washing machine came with my home, the last
folks left it cause it was broken. The main electric motor needed
to be cleaned and oiled.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.