Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Yellow Jackets in the Eaves!

Yesterday I discovered yellow jackets entering my house in a corner
under the eaves. For some reason there is a corner gap/hole plenty big
enough for them to get in. I was just about to climb a ladder when I
looked up and saw them swarming around. The entrance is probably 12-15
feet above ground level, so no way to get to the hole without a ladder,
and I'm not sure I'd want to be on a ladder next to a bees nest.

Any suggestions for getting rid of these bees? I'm most concerned about
damage to the house and honey left behind to attract other problems.
Unfortunately that attic isn't really accessible from the inside.

I'm considering using a Wasp & Hornet killer like this
http://www.killsbugsdead.com/fop_w_h_k_pre.asp but I can't really spray
into the house from the ground. I've also heard these products could
stain the siding and wood. I'd also prefer the bugs died outside of the
house than embedded within.

I'd appreciate any help or experience at getting rid of interior nests
high above ground!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Chris wrote:
[...]

Wasp and hornet spray like the one in your link. Shoots about
20 feet accurately. And yellow jackets don't make honey.
Only honeybees do that.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

You want too much. What do you care if they die inside or out?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Chris writes:

Any suggestions for getting rid of these bees?

If you're up north in a freezing climate, they'll just die off around frost
season, at which time you seal up the hole(s). They live off flowers and
starve in the fall when the flowers disappear. That's why they're getting
so ornery around Labor Day picnic time and going after fruit-scented soft
drinks. The queen hibernates to survive over the winter and starts a new
colony in the spring.

So simply waiting is very effective.

The petroleum stream in a can is very effective, but it won't get inside
your structure to kill the nest. They can be nesting quite a ways away
from the entrance, so even tubing in insecticide is not always effective.

A Raid fumigator would do it nicely if you can cut a hole into the space,
which is a bit challenging if they decide to come after you for breaching
their enclosure. Those things will kill everything in a good sized room.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Richard J Kinch writes:

Those things will kill everything in a good sized room.

I mean the Raid fumigators will kill all the insects in a large space, not
that the insects will get you!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
cc cc is offline

On Aug 6, 11:49 pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Richard J Kinch writes:
Those things will kill everything in a good sized room.

I mean the Raid fumigators will kill all the insects in a large space, not
that the insects will get you!

go to the web and look for "do it yourself pest control"..they have a
powder that kills almost any insect, and willl kill wasps..had 9 nests
in my eves, first application killed 7, then used expanding foam to
close of crevices..two are still active and will be reapplying thos
this weekend..stuff works..can get a rubber pump with a long wand that
you can sticik inside the eave..once the powder is tracked to the
nest, it is all over..

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Aug 6, 11:26 pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

buffalo ny: you might be tempted to use the non-poisonous 4% mint oil
spray like you do for the ants but it's too slow and it is an strong
irritant to me after spraying half a can on a baseball sized nest.
wait until one hour after dark when they are home and nuke them with
the aerosol canned long stream of foam.
later that week when the giant two-inch body wasp arrives in your
home, offer her a 300 watt halogen torchiere floor lamp and turn off
other lights. have your window fan ready to exhaust the burning insect
smell.
repeat when the 1" body wasp arrives a day or 2 later in the bathroom,
shut door with lamp on and other lights off.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Lar Lar is offline

Chris wrote:

Any suggestions for getting rid of these bees? I'm most concerned about
damage to the house and honey left behind to attract other problems.
Unfortunately that attic isn't really accessible from the inside.

If they are not getting into the house they are of no concern, though as
Winter arrives some may find their way inside through the ceiling
penetration of light fixtures or can lighting. Wasps don't make honey so
that won't be an issue. They will die out when winter arrives. Yellow
jackets will be hundreds of wasps by the end of Summer in an enclosed
nest so it will be just blind luck if you can kill them out with the
usual sprays/dusts in what you are describing.

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
z z is offline

On Aug 6, 11:26 pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

Like everybody says, they'll die in winter and you can go up and mess
around safely. The main idea is that if there's a good nesting spot
there, they'll come back, so you want to stop them from moving back
in. I've had good luck with putting a few mothballs in a mesh bag like
they sell vegetables in, and thumbtacking it next to the hole pretty
early in the spring before they start homesteading, then replacing
next year, etc. But that's on the proch eaves, where I don't have to
climb up much of a ladder every spring.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

I mounted a high speed fan to a 2X4 and than clamped it to a ladder such
that the fan was 5 inches from the opening. After 24 hrs of running and
being chopped up by the blades, nothing was left and it was safe to nuke the
opening with spray. Some people might position a shop vav hose near the
opening.

Sometimes the nest is far from the entry hole and spray wont get there. The
prefered method is to puff a powdered poison into the hole so that they
track the poison to the nest.

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

Chris writes:

Any suggestions for getting rid of these bees?

If you're up north in a freezing climate, they'll just die off around
frost season, at which time you seal up the hole(s). They live off
flowers and starve in the fall when the flowers disappear. That's why
they're getting so ornery around Labor Day picnic time and going after
fruit-scented soft drinks. The queen hibernates to survive over the
winter and starts a new colony in the spring.

Where? In the nest in the attic? If that's the case will she croak if all
the exits are blocked in the spring? Covering all the entry points after
the main clan croaks in winter would seem in order.

So simply waiting is very effective.

The petroleum stream in a can is very effective, but it won't get
inside your structure to kill the nest. They can be nesting quite a
ways away from the entrance, so even tubing in insecticide is not
always effective.

A Raid fumigator would do it nicely if you can cut a hole into the
space, which is a bit challenging if they decide to come after you for
breaching their enclosure. Those things will kill everything in a
good sized room.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Al Bundy writes:

The queen hibernates to survive over the
winter and starts a new colony in the spring.

Where? In the nest in the attic? If that's the case will she croak if
all the exits are blocked in the spring?

I'm no entomologist, but having once found a hibernating queen hiding in
the winter cold of an empty file cabinet drawer in a detached garage in
upstate New York, I suspect that they leave the dying or dead nest and look
for an isolated and protected spot. I know that the nest is rich food for
things like scavenging skunks. The dead nest would seem to be a risky
place to bed down for a long winter's nap, as it would be easily found and
scavenged to bits.

On another occasion I accidentally hauled out a live yellow jacket nest
from its protection in some rotting lumber, and left it in a bit of a
panic. Returning for a look after dark, I discovered -- ugh -- a skunk had
found the nest and was feasting upon the tender larvae, with an occasional
jump as he was getting constantly stung. Ouch! Yum! Ouch! Yum! Something
ironic in attracting a new pest while trying to dispatch another.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Lar Lar is offline

Al Bundy wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

Chris writes:

Any suggestions for getting rid of these bees?

If you're up north in a freezing climate, they'll just die off around
frost season, at which time you seal up the hole(s). They live off
flowers and starve in the fall when the flowers disappear. That's why
they're getting so ornery around Labor Day picnic time and going after
fruit-scented soft drinks. The queen hibernates to survive over the
winter and starts a new colony in the spring.

Where? In the nest in the attic? If that's the case will she croak if all
the exits are blocked in the spring? Covering all the entry points after
the main clan croaks in winter would seem in order.

It will be "Queens" survive the winter. The late offspring will be next
years queens. They will hibernate in any number of protected spaces. I
remember a call where the home owner was having some remodeling on a
garage in the winter and when a wall was opened up hundreds of
hibernating wasps were in the wall. I would say it would be impossible
to make your attic sealed enough to keep out insects, even ones as large
as a wasp.

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
z z is offline

On Aug 7, 4:17 pm, "jmagerl" wrote:

Sometimes the nest is far from the entry hole and spray wont get there. The
prefered method is to puff a powdered poison into the hole so that they
track the poison to the nest.

our last exterminator (some sort of honey bee or such, building a
permanent 4-season installation in the attic) used diatomaceous earth,
on the grounds that it's non toxic, but abrades the bugs to death.
worked, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
TH TH is offline

Don't use the "20 ft spray cans", they kill the insects around the
entrance - the dead ones then plug the access so all the ones in the nest
need another exit - usually into the house' Agway sells a powder insecticide
and a duster with a 12 inch spout. Pump some dust in after dark and the next
day as the insects exit and enter they will spread the insecticide
throughout the nest.

ups.com...
Richard J Kinch writes:
Those things will kill everything in a good sized room.

I mean the Raid fumigators will kill all the insects in a large space,
not
that the insects will get you!

go to the web and look for "do it yourself pest control"..they have a
powder that kills almost any insect, and willl kill wasps..had 9 nests
in my eves, first application killed 7, then used expanding foam to
close of crevices..two are still active and will be reapplying thos
this weekend..stuff works..can get a rubber pump with a long wand that
you can sticik inside the eave..once the powder is tracked to the
nest, it is all over..

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 10:19:46 -0700, z wrote:

On Aug 7, 4:17 pm, "jmagerl" wrote:

Sometimes the nest is far from the entry hole and spray wont get there. The
prefered method is to puff a powdered poison into the hole so that they
track the poison to the nest.

our last exterminator (some sort of honey bee or such, building a
permanent 4-season installation in the attic) used diatomaceous earth,
on the grounds that it's non toxic, but abrades the bugs to death.
worked, too.

That came with my older brother's chemistry set, but I never figured
out what to do with it.

I should have gotten some bees and abraded them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
z z is offline

On Aug 7, 4:17 pm, "jmagerl" wrote:

Sometimes the nest is far from the entry hole and spray wont get there. The
prefered method is to puff a powdered poison into the hole so that they
track the poison to the nest.

our last exterminator (some sort of honey bee or such, building a
permanent 4-season installation in the attic) used diatomaceous earth,
on the grounds that it's non toxic, but abrades the bugs to death.
worked, too.

That came with my older brother's chemistry set, but I never figured
out what to do with it.

I should have gotten some bees and abraded them.

In the chemistry sets they want you to look at it under the microscope
and go "ooh! diatoms!". but it's a good fine abrasive. They used to
use it in toothpaste. i imagine things have moved on by now.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Aug 6, 10:26 pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

After reading all these useless replies, I think a Shop Vac will do
the suckers in.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Aug 6, 11:26 pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

Even though you know where the entrance hole is you do not know where
the actual nest is.Yellow jackets are very aggressive and send alarm
signals out when they are aggravated.It is possible that you could be
stung by the foragers that are outside of the nest. While the wasp
spray will kill any that come in contact with the spray it will also
prevent them from entering or leaving the area. They will chew their
way through sheetrock or soft wood to make another entry/exit point.
I have had clients that used wasp spray only to have the YJ chew
through a wall into the house making a bad problem even worse. (Yes, I
am a PC Professional)

You have a few choices to make.
1. If they are up out of the way you could just let them be. They will
do their thing (make babies) and then move on.

2. You should use a dust product such as Delta Dust,Boric Acid or
Drione Dust
Though be aware that Drione contains Pyrethrums and could cause them
to avoid the dust or even stir them up. Apply the dust with a bellow
duster and use small amounts you want to dust the area not cake it on.
They will collect the dust on them as they come and go and carry it
deep into the area. You may need to apply 2-3 times during a 2 week
period.

3. Apply at night when all the YJ are in the nest and less
aggressive.Do not shine a light directly into the hole when you climb
up there.

4. There is a pole extender available that you can use to apply a Dust
product check online or at a do it yourself store.

5. You can try using a non repellent insecticide such as Demand CS
into the hole and saturate the area. This will kill any YJs that come
in contact with it but it may not get spread into the deep area.

Good luck

Alternative 6. Call a professional it shouldn't cost more then $150.
Of course not seeing the area it could cost more depending on the
situation. Don't be afraid of getting bids.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 6, 11:26 pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

Man, you just made my day. (not.) I have a bunch of ground bees in the front
yard near street, and they stung the crap out of me when I accidently ran
the mower over the hole 2 afternoons ago. I sprayed the first night with the
Raid squirt can stuff, and dusted last night with the powder stuff the Farm
Bureau sold me. I still see activity at the holes today. The grass is
getting tall in that spot. (My front yard has a 'soul patch' goatee, as it
were- this was the last 10x10 corner of yard, on one side of driveway.)
Multiple holes within 10 feet, but some may be mole entrances.

Any lifesaving ideas?

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've gotten rid of them by putting my shop vac nozzel near the hole.
It may take a while but it really works. Suck up some powdered insect
killer once you've got them all.

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 00:13:17 GMT, "aemeijers"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 6, 11:26 pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

replying to Al Bundy, Lucy L wrote:
It happened to us. Had to call Orkin. They said if queen wasn't dead, there
would be an uninhabitable house filled with bees in spring. They would be
everywhere, regardless of exit points.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-240561-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2017 4:14 PM, Lucy L wrote:
replying to Al Bundy, Lucy L wrote:
It happened to us. Had to call Orkin. They said if queen wasn't dead, there
would be an uninhabitable house filled with bees in spring. They would be
everywhere, regardless of exit points.

Just a sales pitch. I've had yellow jackets in the eaves of both of my
houses, and they were never a problem in the house. Even my 90 yo house
is well sealed from the attic and eaves. They are a problem is you need
to do work on the house near the nest. If you can put it off for a year,
they have gone elsewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/27/2017 07:50 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 8/27/2017 4:14 PM, Lucy L wrote:
replying to Al Bundy, Lucy L wrote:
It happened to us. Had to call Orkin. They said if queen wasn't dead,
there
would be an uninhabitable house filled with bees in spring. They would be
everywhere, regardless of exit points.

Just a sales pitch. I've had yellow jackets in the eaves of both of my
houses, and they were never a problem in the house. Even my 90 yo house
is well sealed from the attic and eaves. They are a problem is you need
to do work on the house near the nest. If you can put it off for a year,
they have gone elsewhere.

It's been my experience that, like swallows, the damn things always come
back to Capistrano. Despite attempts to discourage them (read a gallon
or two of wasp spray) they seem to have their favorite nesting sites.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Perhaps Chris (the OP) can tell us what happened in the intervening 10 years.

Yellow Jackets M Q Home Repair 7 July 30th 07 11:53 AM
Yellow Jackets Jim Home Repair 4 October 22nd 06 05:00 PM
More yellow jackets questions mypet Home Ownership 2 October 31st 04 01:47 AM
Yellow Jackets ?????? Stephen Home Repair 13 October 9th 04 07:06 PM
Yellow jackets, wasps and bees........OH MY! Albee Kuminova Home Ownership 2 August 30th 04 12:27 AM