Shower Remodel

Old August 6th 07, 08:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower Remodel

Greetings all. First post in this group so be easy on me!

I am looking at remodeling my shower and adding an additional 4 feet
of shower by stealing it from my master closet. The issue is that the
wall separating the two contains the shower piping. I have already
torn away the drywall from the inside of the closet to revel 2 sets of
copper piping coming up from out of the slab. The the two inner pipes
are bent and joined with the two outer pipes, respectively. The two
outer pipes then travel up the wall and bend into the single handled 3-
way valve which then goes to the shower head.

I can only assume that the inner pipes go back into the slab and
travel under the slab to feed the bath tub not 4 feet away from the
shower. Obviously, only a guess. Regardless, my issue is that I want
to knock the wall down that my shower currently occupies keeping the
drain in the same location. I assumed the easiest thing would be to
break up some of the slab around the pipe and cap of the pipe and run
some new pipe in the attic for the new shower.. however it now appears
with the addition of the 4 pipes coming up from the slab, that I can't
just cap them off and some joining of pipe will have to occur.

So, that leaves me with my question: Does that leave me with cutting
the slab? I assume that is something I should spend the $$ and hire
out?

Old August 6th 07, 09:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

hobbzilla wrote:

[...]

A little difficult to picture, but would it be possible
for you to "excavate" the slab (saw/chip) right around the
pipe stubs down maybe a couple of inches? Then solder
in a loop that would be just below whatever floor level
you need to achieve.

It doesn't sound to me like a massive carter needs to be
created for this.

Can you post photos (not here, on a photo site)?

Jim
Old August 6th 07, 09:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:33:43 -0700, hobbzilla
wrote:

So, that leaves me with my question: Does that leave me with cutting
the slab? I assume that is something I should spend the $$ and hire
out?

Take the path of least damage. Sounds like you just need a small place
cut out to drop the pipe connections.

Gas powered machines are nasty in a confined space like your bath.
I've cut my slab for a shower/tub upgrade..btdt.

Remove what you need in the slab to get down into the slab. Try an air
hammer/chisel - rent one for the day.
--
Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Old August 6th 07, 09:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, that leaves me with my question: Does that leave me with cutting
the slab? I assume that is something I should spend the $$ and hire
out?

Oh, and check too determine if this slab has tension cable. Of those
in my house; one ran right through the master bath slab.

--
Oren

excused from saving Universes."

Another Bath Remodel [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 25th 06 06:32 PM
Remodel Question Amy L Home Repair 11 June 28th 06 05:16 PM
Shower Remodel Question Xiggy Home Repair 3 January 23rd 06 06:21 AM
remodel? m Ransley Home Repair 10 December 21st 05 06:45 PM
Question about Shower / Bathtub remodel... Nobody Home Ownership 2 March 1st 05 03:39 AM