Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Conditioning old blacksmith tools

While moving my mother out of her house we inherited some old
blacksmith tools. The tools show just about every grade of rust from
bad to worse but I would like to clean them and treat them. I plan on
power washing (1800 psi husky) drying out in the sun. My question is
if I plan on storing them for a year or so could I lightly treat them
with 10-30 motor oil, and when they get to there final display
destination would this grade oil slow the rust? Opinions
welcome..................Doc

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
While moving my mother out of her house we inherited some old
blacksmith tools. The tools show just about every grade of rust from
bad to worse but I would like to clean them and treat them. I plan on
power washing (1800 psi husky) drying out in the sun. My question is
if I plan on storing them for a year or so could I lightly treat them
with 10-30 motor oil, and when they get to there final display
destination would this grade oil slow the rust? Opinions
welcome..................Doc

Most people wirebrush and use black rustoleum, but I think that looks tacky.
One year, for a gag gift for my brother, I had this 40" gear off an old
tractor or something, that I paid 20 bucks for at a yard sale. I took it to
local metalfinishing place and had it media-blasted and clear-coated with
some sort of protectant. 10 years later, still looks good. He was supposed
to make a sundial out of it, but never got around to it.

For what you want, brush off the rust and lightly oil it. You will probably
lose the work patina. You want it to look like active railroad track or
manhole cover- not rusty, but not babied. I'd use gun oil, not motor oil, if
they will live inside. Or for no-stink, no-smear, use cheap car wax, just
wiped on thinly and not buffed.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 4, 7:04 am, wrote:
While moving my mother out of her house we inherited some old
blacksmith tools. The tools show just about every grade of rust from
bad to worse but I would like to clean them and treat them. I plan on
power washing (1800 psi husky) drying out in the sun. My question is
if I plan on storing them for a year or so could I lightly treat them
with 10-30 motor oil, and when they get to there final display
destination would this grade oil slow the rust? Opinions
welcome..................Doc

Before you power wash the items, check out Permatex Rust Dissolver
Gel, #81756 8oz. bottle or # 82138 sray can. These are competently
formulated versions on the well known Parkerizing or iron phosphating
process. More effective and less work then wire brushing and leaves a
rust rsistant coating behind, suitable for whatever protectant you
want, or even paint if you'd rather. Some of the shop results I've
seen so far in car restorations are quite impressive. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe writes:

These are competently
formulated versions on the well known Parkerizing or iron phosphating
process.

Phosphate treatment is what you can buy in the store and is suitable. I
like Loctite Extend spray.

Parkerizing is something else. Not something you buy in a store or easily
applied.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 4, 7:04 am, wrote:
[...]

Adding just a little to Joe's solution, which is the right one...
I would like to suggest that after you get them nice and clean... how about
a nice coat of semi gloss polyurethane?

I've used it on things like an old milk pitcher and old tools. It works
great. Even a coat of tung oil would leave a nice finish without ruining the
look of rustic metal with paint.

--
Kate
______

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

On Aug 4, 8:04 am, wrote:
While moving my mother out of her house we inherited some old
blacksmith tools. The tools show just about every grade of rust from
bad to worse but I would like to clean them and treat them. I plan on
power washing (1800 psi husky) drying out in the sun. My question is
if I plan on storing them for a year or so could I lightly treat them
with 10-30 motor oil, and when they get to there final display
destination would this grade oil slow the rust? Opinions
welcome..................Doc

I suggest removing the rust using the "battery charger" method:

http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoep...lyticrust.html

After cleaning off the rust, then coat it with wax. Any kind will do,
I use the car wax from out in the garage.

Ken