Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Hanging a sign

The boss wants a sign hung above the front door.

He had a sign made at a sign shop -- 3 ft. x 6 ft. -- made from 3/8 inch
poly-something pliable plastic with vinyl (I think) lettering. In any case,
it's guaranteed for outdoor duty.

My question is regarding mounting. The simplest technique would be to simply
locate and level the sign and put Liquid Nails on the wall (tilt-up concrete
building with stucco texture) and slap on the sign and secure it while the LN
sets.

Any suggestions, observations, constructive criticism?

Thanks,
Sparky

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

SparkyGuy wrote:
The boss wants a sign hung above the front door.

He had a sign made at a sign shop -- 3 ft. x 6 ft. -- made from 3/8
inch poly-something pliable plastic with vinyl (I think) lettering.
In any case, it's guaranteed for outdoor duty.

My question is regarding mounting. The simplest technique would be to
simply locate and level the sign and put Liquid Nails on the wall
(tilt-up concrete building with stucco texture) and slap on the sign
and secure it while the LN sets.

Any suggestions, observations, constructive criticism?

Thanks,
Sparky

Just make sure you can legally hang the sign in the area where your shop is.

I did a friend a favor a few years ago by helping him hang a sign on the
side of his building and up came a city inspector was not happy with us
because my friend did not pull a permit. :-(

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:56:32 -0700, SparkyGuy
wrote:

The boss wants a sign hung above the front door.

He had a sign made at a sign shop -- 3 ft. x 6 ft. -- made from 3/8 inch
poly-something pliable plastic with vinyl (I think) lettering. In any case,
it's guaranteed for outdoor duty.

My question is regarding mounting. The simplest technique would be to simply
locate and level the sign and put Liquid Nails on the wall (tilt-up concrete
building with stucco texture) and slap on the sign and secure it while the LN
sets.

Any suggestions, observations, constructive criticism?

Thanks,
Sparky

If it is an area where freezing happens, make sure that ice can't push
the sign off the wall after a few years!
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

wrote:

The boss wants a sign hung above the front door.

He had a sign made at a sign shop -- 3 ft. x 6 ft. -- made from 3/8 inch
poly-something pliable plastic with vinyl (I think) lettering. In any case,
it's guaranteed for outdoor duty.

My question is regarding mounting. The simplest technique would be to simply
locate and level the sign and put Liquid Nails on the wall (tilt-up concrete
building with stucco texture) and slap on the sign and secure it while the
LN
sets.

Any suggestions, observations, constructive criticism?

Thanks,
Sparky

If it is an area where freezing happens, make sure that ice can't push
the sign off the wall after a few years!

I don't like the construction adhesive idea because sooner or later that
sign is coming back down. It'll stick too well to the wall and not well
enough to the plastic. Maybe sooner than later when you realize it's
1/16" out of square. How about some furring strips lagged to the wall,
with the sign screwed to them?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

I don't like the construction adhesive idea because sooner or later that
sign is coming back down. It'll stick too well to the wall and not well
enough to the plastic. Maybe sooner than later when you realize it's
1/16" out of square.

I put up a bathroom mirror with the LN specified for mirrors and I think I
couldn't pull that off without some damage...

How about some furring strips lagged to the wall,
with the sign screwed to them?

My first thought. But he nixed that because the furring or screws may be
visible (it's about 10 ft from the ground looking straight up from the front
door).

Yes he's particular. That's why he's called the boss...

Sparky

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

If it is an area where freezing happens, make sure that ice can't push
the sign off the wall after a few years!

N. California. Never seen freezing. A few frosts, but it doesn't snow here or
freeze regularly.

Sparky

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Just make sure you can legally hang the sign in the area where your shop is.

Good point. I'll mention it to the Boss.

Sparky

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

SparkyGuy wrote:
If it is an area where freezing happens, make sure that ice can't
push the sign off the wall after a few years!

N. California. Never seen freezing. A few frosts, but it doesn't snow
here or freeze regularly.

California? Oh my.

You can count on a permit being required, erection by certified, bonded,
insured, and annointed sign erectors, such sign being constructed of
non-carcinogenic, enviro-friendly, and bio-degradable material. Further, the
sign will probably have to be certified as not being within 1000' of a
school, church, park, library, public building, or car wash.

What provisions have you made (such as netting) to prevent injury by falling
letters?

Then, too, there is the annual license.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"SparkyGuy" wrote in message
obal.net...
The boss wants a sign hung above the front door.

He had a sign made at a sign shop -- 3 ft. x 6 ft. -- made from 3/8 inch
poly-something pliable plastic with vinyl (I think) lettering. In any
case,
it's guaranteed for outdoor duty.

My question is regarding mounting. The simplest technique would be to
simply
locate and level the sign and put Liquid Nails on the wall (tilt-up
concrete
building with stucco texture) and slap on the sign and secure it while the
LN
sets.

Any suggestions, observations, constructive criticism?

Thanks,
Sparky

First question is: Do you care if it falls down?

If that is an issue, I would mount it with screws, bolts with standoffs, or
some other mechanical means.

Being exterior, the heat, wind, sun, cold, freeze and thaw cycles, and
Murphy's law make it questionable.

That's a heavy piece of signage that could hurt someone. Do it right,
because if it falls down, you got legal problems, son.

Just MHO. Do it once, do it right.

Steve

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
SparkyGuy wrote:
If it is an area where freezing happens, make sure that ice can't
push the sign off the wall after a few years!

N. California. Never seen freezing. A few frosts, but it doesn't snow
here or freeze regularly.

California? Oh my.

You can count on a permit being required, erection by certified, bonded,
insured, and annointed sign erectors, such sign being constructed of
non-carcinogenic, enviro-friendly, and bio-degradable material. Further,
the sign will probably have to be certified as not being within 1000' of a
school, church, park, library, public building, or car wash.

What provisions have you made (such as netting) to prevent injury by
falling letters?

Then, too, there is the annual license.

The environmental impact study could cost millions alone.

Steve

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

I think polurethane adhesive and some Tapcons would probably do the
job.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:34:55 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
SparkyGuy wrote:
If it is an area where freezing happens, make sure that ice can't
push the sign off the wall after a few years!

N. California. Never seen freezing. A few frosts, but it doesn't snow
here or freeze regularly.

California? Oh my.

You can count on a permit being required, erection by certified, bonded,
insured, and annointed sign erectors, such sign being constructed of
non-carcinogenic, enviro-friendly, and bio-degradable material. Further,
the sign will probably have to be certified as not being within 1000' of a
school, church, park, library, public building, or car wash.

What provisions have you made (such as netting) to prevent injury by
falling letters?

Then, too, there is the annual license.

The environmental impact study could cost millions alone.

Steve

With the risk that if there is water on the restroom floor it will be
declared a protected wetlands area, and the entire project, if not the
whole building, will be at risk!
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
SparkyGuy wrote:
[...]

I wonder what the EPA would pay in bounty .......

Meet me at the corner where the old red barn used to be. Just pull up and
flash your lights, and I will come out of the woods, and we'll go to the
secret place and discuss this.

Mebbe now, I'll have the money to get my truck painted .........

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Next year when the boss wants the sign changed, you're gonna be
in a world of hurt.

Use some kind of screws and anchors.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"SparkyGuy" wrote in message
obal.net...
: The boss wants a sign hung above the front door.
:
: He had a sign made at a sign shop -- 3 ft. x 6 ft. -- made from
3/8 inch
: poly-something pliable plastic with vinyl (I think) lettering.
In any case,
: it's guaranteed for outdoor duty.
:
: My question is regarding mounting. The simplest technique would
be to simply
: locate and level the sign and put Liquid Nails on the wall
(tilt-up concrete
: building with stucco texture) and slap on the sign and secure
it while the LN
: sets.
:
: Any suggestions, observations, constructive criticism?
:
: Thanks,
: Sparky
:

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 07:29:01 -0700, SparkyGuy
wrote:

If it is an area where freezing happens, make sure that ice can't push
the sign off the wall after a few years!

N. California. Never seen freezing. A few frosts, but it doesn't snow here or
freeze regularly.

So, does it snow or freeze irregularly? How many times does it have
to freeze to cause the sign to fall down?

Sparky

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 07:27:22 -0700, SparkyGuy
wrote:

I don't like the construction adhesive idea because sooner or later that
sign is coming back down. It'll stick too well to the wall and not well
enough to the plastic. Maybe sooner than later when you realize it's
1/16" out of square.

I put up a bathroom mirror with the LN specified for mirrors and I think I
couldn't pull that off without some damage...

Was your wall made out of stucco, like in this case?

And what makes you think it doesn't count if there is damage to the
wall when the sign falls off?

How about some furring strips lagged to the wall,
with the sign screwed to them?

My first thought. But he nixed that because the furring or screws may be
visible (it's about 10 ft from the ground looking straight up from the front
door).

Tell him the furring won't be visible and that the screws are there to
hold the sign on.

I actually don't know how to do this, but I can still just your
answers and they seem like those of someone who has made up his mind
and isn't really considering the problems or alternatives, despite
having asked for help.

Yes he's particular. That's why he's called the boss...

Sparky

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
No Name

stucco is a drag to drive anchors into
they wont hold that great

instead of doing it wrong
maybe you should ask the sign person
I am sure they have had enough call backs
to know exactly what to use the first time.

"SparkyGuy" wrote in message
obal.net...
The boss wants a sign hung above the front door.

He had a sign made at a sign shop -- 3 ft. x 6 ft. -- made from 3/8 inch
poly-something pliable plastic with vinyl (I think) lettering. In any
case,
it's guaranteed for outdoor duty.

My question is regarding mounting. The simplest technique would be to
simply
locate and level the sign and put Liquid Nails on the wall (tilt-up
concrete
building with stucco texture) and slap on the sign and secure it while the
LN
sets.

Any suggestions, observations, constructive criticism?

Thanks,
Sparky

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
3M double stick tape. I can't remember the letters, something like HDEP.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

it's called vhb tape, and won't work for stucco.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...B-Window-Tape/

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 2:56 am, SparkyGuy wrote:
The boss wants a sign hung above the front door.

He had a sign made at a sign shop -- 3 ft. x 6 ft. -- made from 3/8 inch
poly-something pliable plastic with vinyl (I think) lettering. In any case,
it's guaranteed for outdoor duty.

My question is regarding mounting. The simplest technique would be to simply
locate and level the sign and put Liquid Nails on the wall (tilt-up concrete
building with stucco texture) and slap on the sign and secure it while the LN
sets.

Any suggestions, observations, constructive criticism?

Thanks,
Sparky

When we owned a sign shop we would mount the signs, if the customer
paid us to mount the sign, in one of a number of ways; based on what
the customer wanted and was willing to pay for.

First thing up is we would use 6 screws to mount this size sign (never
use a 2x4 when a 2x6 does just as well). The screws would be mounted,
top, bottom and side, 4-5 inches in from the edges. So in your case
there would be three along the top and three along the bottom.

We would use, again depending on costs, some form of stand-off,
usually about an inch or so, depending on the mounting surface. The
rougher the surface, the longer the stand-off; initiallly. You can
use washers but we would use a solid plastic rod material. We would
cut the rod down to the size we needed and then drill a hole through
the center of each stand-off. The sign would be attached to the wall
through the stand-offs.

To attach everything to the wall, we would use 2"-3" Tapcons.

If we screwed through the face of the sign, we would use small
circular pieces of the same material used to form the letters of the
sign and then apply these circular pieces over the screw heads; to
hide them and make it "look like" the circles/dots we designed in.

Other additional cost items, which did improve the look of the sign...

We would screw the stand-offs to the wall first (after making the
proper measurements and leveling things, of course). Then we would
apply a piece of double-sided tape to the back of the sign in each
upper corner to form an "L-bracket". To this tape we would stick
some soft and light wood, like balsa wood. This wood would then allow
us to "hang" the sign on the stand-offs while we made any minor
adjustments (hopefully NOT). Then remove the sign, apply some quick-
setting epoxy to the face/front/top of the stand-offs and then re
"hang" the sign pressing it into the epoxy while the epoxy setup.
After a few minutes or so, the epoxy cured enough that we could stop
pressing the sign and then remove the wood and tape from the back of
the sign.

Another extra cost item was we would pre-paint the stand-offs to match
the color of the wall the sign was mounted to. This allowed the stand-
offs to disappear and aloow the sign to appear as though it were
"floating" of the surface of the wall.

As for how much to stand-off the sign from the wall... In our
situations, we did not need to worry about "code". If the sign was
legal where it was to be mounted, we just made sure there was enough
room that anything that got behind the sign would not get caught, yet
close enough to discourage birds from nesting and to allow the sign to
"look good".

HTH

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

As for how much to stand-off the sign from the wall... In our
situations, we did not need to worry about "code". If the sign was
legal where it was to be mounted, we just made sure there was enough
room that anything that got behind the sign would not get caught, yet
close enough to discourage birds from nesting and to allow the sign to
"look good".

Thanks, GGA. Lots of good ideas here.

In your experience, do your customers typically pull a building permit for
such a sign? (Note that I'm not asking if they *should* pull a permit...)

Thanks,
Sparky

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"SparkyGuy" wrote in message
obal.net...
As for how much to stand-off the sign from the wall... In our
situations, we did not need to worry about "code". If the sign was
legal where it was to be mounted, we just made sure there was enough
room that anything that got behind the sign would not get caught, yet
close enough to discourage birds from nesting and to allow the sign to
"look good".

Thanks, GGA. Lots of good ideas here.

In your experience, do your customers typically pull a building permit for
such a sign? (Note that I'm not asking if they *should* pull a permit...)

Thanks,
Sparky

in my location, there are large fines for not doing so. one also requires a
license to keep it there, and there are size and location limitations.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

try something like this http://www.govart.com/hardware_cleat.html
easy to install, and very secure.

Not to mention safe!

Jeff

"SparkyGuy" wrote in message
obal.net...
The boss wants a sign hung above the front door.

He had a sign made at a sign shop -- 3 ft. x 6 ft. -- made from 3/8 inch
poly-something pliable plastic with vinyl (I think) lettering. In any
case,
it's guaranteed for outdoor duty.

My question is regarding mounting. The simplest technique would be to
simply
locate and level the sign and put Liquid Nails on the wall (tilt-up
concrete
building with stucco texture) and slap on the sign and secure it while the
LN
sets.

Any suggestions, observations, constructive criticism?

Thanks,
Sparky

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 11:01 am, "charlie"
wrote:
"DanG" wrote in message

3M double stick tape. I can't remember the letters, something like HDEP.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

it's called vhb tape, and won't work for stucco.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ng/Industry/Pr...

The double-sided tape was used on the back of the sign to which we
mounted the wood. This allowed us to "hang" the sign from the already-
attached-stand-offs temporarily.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 12:36 pm, SparkyGuy wrote:
As for how much to stand-off the sign from the wall... In our
situations, we did not need to worry about "code". If the sign was
legal where it was to be mounted, we just made sure there was enough
room that anything that got behind the sign would not get caught, yet
close enough to discourage birds from nesting and to allow the sign to
"look good".

Thanks, GGA. Lots of good ideas here.

In your experience, do your customers typically pull a building permit for
such a sign? (Note that I'm not asking if they *should* pull a permit...)

Thanks,
Sparky

In over four years I know of only 1 permit that was pulled. That does
not mean the customers did not pull a permit but did not tell us.
However, it "was" our responsibilty to know the law.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

N. California. Never seen freezing. A few frosts, but it doesn't snow
here or freeze regularly.

California? Oh my.

California's easy.

All you need is a can of spray paint and a blank wall.......