DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gypcrete (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/209125-gypcrete.html)

franz frippl August 2nd 07 10:57 PM

Gypcrete

Are there alternatives to Gypcrete brand poured floor?

What might they be?

I am working on a 20x24 cabin and wish to pour it myself. Has anyone done
this as DIY?

Al Bundy August 3rd 07 02:58 AM

Gypcrete

franz frippl wrote in
:

Are there alternatives to Gypcrete brand poured floor?

What might they be?

I am working on a 20x24 cabin and wish to pour it myself. Has anyone
done this as DIY?

I'm no concrete guy at all but you want to mix & pour like 18 cu yds of
concrete?!!!! More if over 4" thick. Rebar? Cell phone to call 911?

How are you getting all this mix to the site is my curiosity.

franz frippl August 3rd 07 01:15 PM

Gypcrete

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 19:58:06 -0500, Al Bundy wrote:

franz frippl wrote in
:

Are there alternatives to Gypcrete brand poured floor?

What might they be?

I am working on a 20x24 cabin and wish to pour it myself. Has anyone
done this as DIY?

I'm no concrete guy at all but you want to mix & pour like 18 cu yds of
concrete?!!!! More if over 4" thick. Rebar? Cell phone to call 911?

How are you getting all this mix to the site is my curiosity.

18 cu yds?
The area is 480 sq ft and the pour is 1-1/2". Gypcrete is lighter than
concrete. I calculated 2 cu yds of material max. Quote for job is $1600
minimum. Just looking for way to cover radiant floor tubing.

There must be alternative product out there, I just don't know what it is.

marson August 3rd 07 01:21 PM

Gypcrete

On Aug 3, 6:15 am, franz frippl wrote:
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 19:58:06 -0500, Al Bundy wrote:
franz frippl wrote in
t:

Are there alternatives to Gypcrete brand poured floor?

What might they be?

I am working on a 20x24 cabin and wish to pour it myself. Has anyone
done this as DIY?

I'm no concrete guy at all but you want to mix & pour like 18 cu yds of
concrete?!!!! More if over 4" thick. Rebar? Cell phone to call 911?

How are you getting all this mix to the site is my curiosity.

18 cu yds?
The area is 480 sq ft and the pour is 1-1/2". Gypcrete is lighter than
concrete. I calculated 2 cu yds of material max. Quote for job is $1600
minimum. Just looking for way to cover radiant floor tubing.

There must be alternative product out there, I just don't know what it is.

I'm shooting from the hip here, and throwing out some ideas. You
could try calling your local redi mix plant and see if they have
lightweight concrete. Also regular concrete could be used, if your
floor structure can support the weight. Depends on your ambition and
skill level too...1600 doesn't sound that bad really.

RicodJour August 3rd 07 03:02 PM

Gypcrete

On Aug 2, 4:57 pm, franz frippl wrote:
Are there alternatives to Gypcrete brand poured floor?

What might they be?

I am working on a 20x24 cabin and wish to pour it myself. Has anyone done
this as DIY?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...eight+concrete

If you do it yourself it's pretty much guaranteed you won't get the
single smooth surface that you would if you had it pumped in. It's a
fair bit of work and the materials aren't that cheap. The sixteen
hundred you mentioned doesn't sound that steep, but I guess it's more
a question of what you had allowed for the radiant covering.

DanG August 4th 07 01:55 AM

Gypcrete

You don't tell what type of radiant floor you are covering.

If it has to do with ceramic tile, this is the absolute best site
on the internet
http://www.johnbridge.com/

I didn't look very hard because I don't know what you need, but
here is radiant story from that site:
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36020
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

franz frippl August 6th 07 12:39 PM

Gypcrete

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 18:55:59 -0500, DanG wrote:

You don't tell what type of radiant floor you are covering.

If it has to do with ceramic tile, this is the absolute best site
on the internet
http://www.johnbridge.com/

I didn't look very hard because I don't know what you need, but
here is radiant story from that site:
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36020

It's going to be radiant tubing with ceramic tiles. Thanks for site.

Al Bundy August 8th 07 03:12 AM

Gypcrete

franz frippl wrote in
:

[...]

Had no idea how thick Gypcrete is poured. Even at my 4" it would have been
only 6 cu yd.

Note to self: divide by 27 for volume, not 9, duhhh