Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing a stubborn shower head

Hi all,

I moved into an older apartment and I'm trying to replace my shower
head with a hand-held one. The problem is that the shower head is
basically just a round ball which snaps into a ball-and-socket joint.
I need to unscrew the "ball" so that I can screw on my replacement
shower head, but it seems to have been glued in place. I considered
replacing the whole pipe leading into the wall, but that's been glued
as well.

Is there something I can use to dissolve the glue and remove the
"ball" shower head? I've used Goof Off, but it's not strong enough.
Any tips on how I can get the "ball" shower head unscrewed?

Thanks,

Hoonsuk

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 6:53 pm, hoonsuk wrote:
Hi all,

I moved into an older apartment and I'm trying to replace my shower

Have you tried the 2 big pipe wrenches approach. You will likely scar
the crap out of the
pipe between the wall and the head, but if you are careful not to over
stress the pipe inside the wall,
You should be able to gorilla it off.

head with a hand-held one. The problem is that the shower head is
basically just a round ball which snaps into a ball-and-socket joint.
I need to unscrew the "ball" so that I can screw on my replacement
shower head, but it seems to have been glued in place. I considered
replacing the whole pipe leading into the wall, but that's been glued
as well.

Is there something I can use to dissolve the glue and remove the
"ball" shower head? I've used Goof Off, but it's not strong enough.
Any tips on how I can get the "ball" shower head unscrewed?

Thanks,

Hoonsuk

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hoonsuk" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I moved into an older apartment and I'm trying to replace my shower
head with a hand-held one. The problem is that the shower head is
basically just a round ball which snaps into a ball-and-socket joint.
I need to unscrew the "ball" so that I can screw on my replacement
shower head, but it seems to have been glued in place. I considered
replacing the whole pipe leading into the wall, but that's been glued
as well.

Is there something I can use to dissolve the glue and remove the
"ball" shower head? I've used Goof Off, but it's not strong enough.
Any tips on how I can get the "ball" shower head unscrewed?

Thanks,

Hoonsuk

See what Eric said. And, sometimes if you're lucky and the stars are lined
up just right, you can avoid scarring the pipe by wrapping it with a damp
cloth and then grabbing it with the wrench. I use a piece of pond liner
(thick rubber) for this, but you're not likely to go looking for a pond
supply store. Got anything similar, like rubber mats that people sometimes
put in the bottom of the kitchen sink to grow mold as a hobby, or an old
rubber bath mat you can cut a piece from?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 5:09 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"hoonsuk" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the great tips. Looks like I have to go buy another
plumber's wrench from Home Depot. :-)

Hoonsuk

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 00:09:49 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

See what Eric said. And, sometimes if you're lucky and the stars are lined
up just right, you can avoid scarring the pipe by wrapping it with a damp
cloth and then grabbing it with the wrench. I use a piece of pond liner
(thick rubber) for this, but you're not likely to go looking for a pond
supply store. Got anything similar, like rubber mats that people sometimes
put in the bottom of the kitchen sink to grow mold as a hobby, or an old
rubber bath mat you can cut a piece from?

Or rubber strap wrenches. Cheap and sold a few places.

BTW, I doubt anything is glued on. It's screwed on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

See what Eric said. And, sometimes if you're lucky and the stars are lined
up just right, you can avoid scarring the pipe by wrapping it with a damp
cloth and then grabbing it with the wrench. I use a piece of pond liner
(thick rubber) for this, but you're not likely to go looking for a pond
supply store. Got anything similar, like rubber mats that people sometimes
put in the bottom of the kitchen sink to grow mold as a hobby, or an old
rubber bath mat you can cut a piece from?

Or rubber strap wrenches. Cheap and sold a few places.

BTW, I doubt anything is glued on. It's screwed on.

He may be seeing cruddy residue of teflon tape combined with soap, minerals
and who knows what else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"hoonsuk" wrote in message
[...]

try an scrap of bicycle inner tube,or a rubber jar opener(round rubber
disc,textured)

On my shower,I had to replace the elbow pipe that comes out of the wall;the
ball was an integral part of that pipe.
they do that so you can't swap shower heads.

(the "glue" may only be liquid pipe compound.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

agree with earlier post suggestions of either strap wrench or old
bicycle inner tube. I replaced the tubes in my wife's bike a while
back, and kept the old ones around for just such uses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to hoonsuk, Katherine Maldonado wrote:
I have the same problem. How did you fix it?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ad-239264-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Katherine Maldonado posted for all of us...

replying to hoonsuk, Katherine Maldonado wrote:
I have the same problem. How did you fix it?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ad-239264-.htm

Get a real newsreader and find out what is being discussed on the newsgroup:
alt.home.repair

--
Tekkie