Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drying out a crawl space

Folks - had the main water line come apart on me under my house.
Wife, bless her, managed to get the water cut off after 30 minutes.
Of course, this left a large amount of water under the house, which
has since been pumped out (same day). The next morning, there was no
standing water under the house, though the dirt was muddy (not deep,
just wet dirt).

This house was built in 1989, so it has good ventilation around the
foundation. I want to make sure that I drive out all of the excess
water and moisture. I've already removed the soaked installation.
Since I live in Ga., our humidity is a little high at the moment, so I
don't see any hope for a de-humidifier to keep up. How to dry out the
crawl space? I could rent a forced air heater (kerosene) to really
warm up the crawlspace plus fans. I want it dry before I put the
plastic back down....

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie wrote:
[...]

I would try to force (fans) air in and out of there.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Good venting. Forced air in/out by a fan?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Charlie wrote:
[...]

I'll second that. In the 100+ year old building I work in, roof and plumbing
leaks are near-constant occurances. The greenshirt guys keep probably a
dozen high-pressure fans around just to blow dry wet carpets and dead
spaces, ranging from 12-inch ones in plastic housings that look like hair
dryers, to a couple 48" ones that look like what balloonists use to inflate
canopies before they light off the burners. I presume rental place will have
them. You'll likely need several, blowing in on one side, and sucking out on
the other.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree.

Your rental place has some powerful fans just for that purpose. They
move a lot of air and will dry it out in no time (24 hours).

Assuming that it remains really humid and you are still worried, then
just stick a window AC unit in a vent hole and run it for a week or
so.

Charlie wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie wrote:
[...]

I'll second the venting. It shouldn't take too long.

I bought this house two years ago with a soupy crawlspace, mainly caused
by a hole in the wall caused by roots, hidden behind a large plant. I
waterproofed the outside, put a layer of vinyl on it, and let it air. I
just used a $10 Wal-Mart fan. One day I blew in, one day out. This
made sure it sucked where it wouldn't blow, and then blow where it
wouldn't suck, if you know what I mean. It took a while, but it's dry now.

It had to have been wet for years. The floors in the house are uneven,
probably caused by wetness under floor supports. Get yours before this
happens.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:40:21 -0500, valvejob wrote:

I agree.

Your rental place has some powerful fans just for that purpose. They
move a lot of air and will dry it out in no time (24 hours).

Assuming that it remains really humid and you are still worried, then
just stick a window AC unit in a vent hole and run it for a week or
so.

There are also power vents available for your crawl space
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/power_vents.htm

and elsewhere. Google: foundation power vents

crawl space dehumidifier dblho39 Home Repair 10 May 19th 06 10:27 PM
Encapsulated Crawl Space?? [email protected] Home Repair 6 February 17th 06 04:01 AM
subfloor crawl space rscho UK diy 11 January 3rd 06 03:35 PM
subfloor crawl space rscho Home Repair 11 January 3rd 06 03:35 PM
CRAWL SPACE theo Home Repair 3 May 16th 05 02:32 PM