pella window blinds inside glass

Old July 29th 07, 10:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default pella window blinds inside glass

Single mom here with a 15 year old home that has double Pella windows that
crank. The blinds are inside the glass. You turn a knob to open and close
the blinds. I've never had a problem with them before but now, on one of my
bedroom windows, I turn the knob and nothing happens. The blinds are stuck
in a semi-closed position which, unfortunately, allows the sun to shine
directly in my eyes when the sun comes up. Does anyone know of a way to
repair this myself? I took off the screen, then the glass to get to the
shade but I just can't seem to figure out how it works. I can push down on
the blinds and they close but when I let go, they pop open again. HELP!

Old July 29th 07, 10:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 20:14:12 GMT, "momofone" u36226@uwe wrote:

Single mom here with a 15 year old home that has double Pella windows that
crank. The blinds are inside the glass. You turn a knob to open and close
the blinds. I've never had a problem with them before but now, on one of my
bedroom windows, I turn the knob and nothing happens. The blinds are stuck
in a semi-closed position which, unfortunately, allows the sun to shine
directly in my eyes when the sun comes up. Does anyone know of a way to
repair this myself? I took off the screen, then the glass to get to the
shade but I just can't seem to figure out how it works. I can push down on
the blinds and they close but when I let go, they pop open again. HELP!

Sounds like something broke in the shade operator (??). Check the
pella site or call.

http://www.pella.com/products/unique.../unique/blinds

--
Oren

Old July 29th 07, 11:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. I've looked at the site and mine must be very old because they don't
look like the ones in the photos. Instead of a "slide" operator on the side
of the window, I have a round knob located at the bottom of the window that
you twist to open or close the mini blinds that are between glass. Once I
removed the screen and the glass from the inside, I was able to manupulate
the blinds with my hand but couldn't get them to stay in one place without
popping back to the semi-closed position. I was also able to see that the
"operator" was a small box like device with a small wheel on the outside that
turns freely with my finger but doesn't affect the blinds at all like it
should. The box is held in place with one long screw. I removed the screw
and looked at the box but still couldn't see a way to get inside to repair it.
: ( Guess I'll have to call them to see if they even make the part anymore.

Oren wrote:
Single mom here with a 15 year old home that has double Pella windows that
crank. The blinds are inside the glass. You turn a knob to open and close

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]

Old July 29th 07, 11:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 21:44:46 GMT, "momofone" u36226@uwe wrote:

[...]

Take a picture and send to Pella. Or better yet, post a link here for
folks to see. You might get some local help, also.

By what you say the operator broke or if a palstic wheel (gear???) a
tooth broke on the "wheel"?

Old July 30th 07, 12:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Art

I'd call them. I'd be surprised if they aren't helpful. You might look at
the corners of the glass for a serial number before calling them.