Standby Generator Opinions

Old July 26th 07, 01:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair
JMJ

Default Standby Generator Opinions

B&G 7kw/Guardian 7kw both with auto transfer and LP as fuel.

Old July 26th 07, 01:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair
JMJ

Sorry, that is B&S/Guardian

"JMJ" wrote in message
link.net...
B&G 7kw/Guardian 7kw both with auto transfer and LP as fuel.

Old July 26th 07, 02:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

JMJ,

I installed and use the Guardian 7KW with auto transfer. It works extremely
well. No idea about the B&G.

Smarty

"JMJ" wrote in message
link.net...

Sorry, that is B&S/Guardian

"JMJ" wrote in message
link.net...
B&G 7kw/Guardian 7kw both with auto transfer and LP as fuel.

Old July 26th 07, 03:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 5:09 am, "Smarty" wrote:
JMJ,

I installed and use the Guardian 7KW with auto transfer. It works extremely
well. No idea about the B&G.

Smarty

"JMJ" wrote in message

link.net...

Sorry, that is B&S/Guardian

"JMJ" wrote in message
hlink.net...
B&G 7kw/Guardian 7kw both with auto transfer and LP as fuel.- Hide quoted text -

alt.energy.homepower is a group that lives off grid.

Old July 26th 07, 04:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

JMJ,

Now you ***ARE*** confusing me.....

The Guardian is made by Generac and is the unit I am familiar with and
recommend. It uses an engine made by Generac.

The Briggs and Stratton is a competing 7 KW unit. It delivers similar
performance to the Generac based on its' specifications, but is an entirely
different design.

I originally thought you were asking for a comparison of the 2 competing
units, but it now appears you believe them to be one and the same unit.

Smarty

"ransley" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 26, 5:09 am, "Smarty" wrote:
JMJ,

I installed and use the Guardian 7KW with auto transfer. It works
extremely
well. No idea about the B&G.

Smarty

"JMJ" wrote in message

link.net...

Sorry, that is B&S/Guardian

Old July 26th 07, 11:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:27:04 -0400, Smarty wrote:
The Guardian is made by Generac and is the unit I am familiar with and
recommend. It uses an engine made by Generac.

The Briggs and Stratton is a competing 7 KW unit. It delivers similar
performance to the Generac based on its' specifications, but is an entirely
different design.

That could be, however Briggs owns Generac generators.

sdb
--
What's seen on your screen? http://pcscreenwatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Old July 27th 07, 04:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"sylvan butler" wrote in message
rnal...
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:27:04 -0400, Smarty wrote:
The Guardian is made by Generac and is the unit I am familiar with and
recommend. It uses an engine made by Generac.

The Briggs and Stratton is a competing 7 KW unit. It delivers similar
performance to the Generac based on its' specifications, but is an
entirely
different design.

That could be, however Briggs owns Generac generators.

sdb
--
What's seen on your screen? http://pcscreenwatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

I don't think this is true. I would very much appreciate any link or
evidence to show that Briggs owns Generac. I bought and installed my Generac
last October after my local area experienced a freak October ice storm which
left several hundred thousand people without power for up to almost 3 weeks
in some cases. As a result of this prolonged outage, the local Home Depot
stores stocked and sold literally several thousand Generac generators to me
and a lot of other local people. I called Generac in early November of 2006
and asked them how I could buy stock in their company, since I was not only
extremely impressed with the quality of their product but also was so very
impressed with how they were able to put several thousand generators into my
area so quickly. I was told that the company is privately owned, run by
family members, and that stock was not for sale. I also checked on their
website which is quite elaborate, and there is no mention whatsoever of any
connection with Briggs. Furthermore, they proudly state that they build
their own engines, and there is no reference to Briggs in any way in their
owners manual, installation manual, parts manual, or the nearly 500 page
service manual.

If you look at the design and layout of the competing Briggs 7KW generator
it is entirely different in layout with no common parts I can find to the
Generac.

I think there is a misconception that Briggs has something to do with
Generac. A number of people I have spoken to at Home Depot and elsewhere
claim (incorrectly) that the Generac engines are made in Japan by Honda.

Smarty

Old July 27th 07, 05:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair

**Effective May 15, 2001, (a) Generac Portable Products, Inc. was
merged with a wholly owned subsidiary of Briggs & Stratton
Corporation
("Briggs") (Commission File No. 001-01370) in a statutory merger in
which all of
the outstanding shares of Generac Portable Products, Inc. Common
Stock, $.01 par
value, were converted into the right to receive cash, and Generac
Portable
Products, Inc. became a wholly owned subsidiary of Briggs, and (b) all
of the
11-1/4% Senior Subordinated Notes due 2006 issued by Generac Portable
Products,
LLC and GPPW, Inc., and guaranteed by Generac Portable Products, Inc.,
were
purchased pursuant to the issuers' tender offer therefor and
retired.

Old July 27th 07, 12:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 11:07 pm, " wrote:
[...]

Hmm confusing isin't it ...

Ok there are two Companies:

Generac Power Systems Inc. (Privately owned)

Generac Portable Products (an affiliate of Briggs and Stratton Power
Products)

They both sell portable generators .... "Generacs"

Best, Mike.

Old July 27th 07, 12:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 03:07:52 -0000, "
wrote Re Standby Generator Opinions:

**Effective May 15, 2001, (a) Generac Portable Products, Inc. was
merged with a wholly owned subsidiary of Briggs & Stratton
Corporation

Here's the link to it:
http://www.secinfo.com/dsvR3.4F9H1.htm
--