Mobile home roof leaks

Old July 24th 07, 06:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mobile home roof leaks

I hope this is not off topic here. I can't find a mobile home group that
has a useful amount of activity.

Does anyone know of a cure for mobile home metal roof leaks? Despite
frequent painting, patching and other maintenance my roof keeps coming up
with new leaks every year or so. Any _really_ good roof coatings to stop
this for at least several years?

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Old July 24th 07, 11:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 24, 12:36 pm, Ken Knecht wrote:
I hope this is not off topic here. I can't find a mobile home group that
has a useful amount of activity.

Does anyone know of a cure for mobile home metal roof leaks? Despite
frequent painting, patching and other maintenance my roof keeps coming up
with new leaks every year or so. Any _really_ good roof coatings to stop
this for at least several years?

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Ken,
I am not a mobile home owner today but my parents were back in the
70's when they where going to school and my dad replaced the roof of
the mobile home among many other things - floor,walls, etc. I was very
young, less then 10, but I remember him using some sort of liquid tar
and rubber roof sheets. The rubber roof was like plastic but its very
thick and as you have probably guessed very rubbery and heavy. I know
he used some once on another project where he had a large pull behind
trailer (car) so I assume its still available. I know the big thing is
to make sure there is no low spots where water can stand. (roof has to
be somewhat even and I would assume a slant for water drainage) I
remember that when he did the car trailer.

I am unsure of your situation/model of home but I have seen in Ohio
(out in the country (rural)) more then once where people built peak
roofs on top of their mobile homes. Sometimes shingles and I have seen
metal barn roofing. Seems crazy but I have seen it. I would not
attempt such a thing but I have seen it, especially without some
guidance from inspectors/professionals/or at least someone who has
tried it before.

I found searching using google the following link about some sort of
spray foam for insulation and roofing.

http://www.solarhaven.org/PolyurethaneRoof.htm

Just my two cents,
Hope it helps,
Chris

Old July 24th 07, 11:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.koolseal.com/

Old July 25th 07, 01:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken Knecht" wrote in message
I hope this is not off topic here. I can't find a mobile home group that
has a useful amount of activity.

Does anyone know of a cure for mobile home metal roof leaks? Despite
frequent painting, patching and other maintenance my roof keeps coming up
with new leaks every year or so. Any _really_ good roof coatings to stop
this for at least several years?

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Koolseal will do the job.

It is pricey but the generic stuff never worked as well or lasted as long
for me.

This is one of those few places where the brand name does matter.

Old July 25th 07, 05:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken Knecht" wrote in message
I hope this is not off topic here. I can't find a mobile home group that
has a useful amount of activity.

Does anyone know of a cure for mobile home metal roof leaks? Despite
frequent painting, patching and other maintenance my roof keeps coming
up
with new leaks every year or so. Any _really_ good roof coatings to stop
this for at least several years?

There are a couple of Usenet groups that have activity that also have
folks who do know what they are talking about.
alt.rv This is the lesser populated one, but is without the OT junk.
rec.outdoors.rv-travel This is the more populated one, but goes off on
tangents. Think of it as sitting around the campfire shooting the bull
(as most of these folks are doing) and you get the idea.

Hope this helps,

Tomes

Old July 28th 07, 02:57 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Moe

"Ken Knecht" wrote in message
I hope this is not off topic here. I can't find a mobile home group that
has a useful amount of activity.

Does anyone know of a cure for mobile home metal roof leaks? Despite
frequent painting, patching and other maintenance my roof keeps coming up
with new leaks every year or so. Any _really_ good roof coatings to stop
this for at least several years?

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Blue tarp, weighted down with old tires.