Posted to alt.home.repair

Default krazy glue that won't dry out?

Most of the krazy glue I bought dry out after one or two use.

Has anyone found a way to prevent krazy glue from drying out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought cryocyanulate or whatever it is, wouldn't dry out, so to
experiment I left a tube on a shelf, forgot about it for a month then found
it, and promptly poured a big pile all over the floor, where it dried.

"peter" wrote in message news:5W3oi.14$b04.9@trndny06...
Most of the krazy glue I bought dry out after one or two use.

Has anyone found a way to prevent krazy glue from drying out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

actually theres a tube of crazy glue remover, even at dollar stores.

"peter" wrote in message
Most of the krazy glue I bought dry out after one or two use.

Has anyone found a way to prevent krazy glue from drying out?

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to alt.home.repair

peter wrote:
Most of the krazy glue I bought dry out after one or two use.

Has anyone found a way to prevent krazy glue from drying out?

Put it in a tied off plastic bag and keep it in the freezer compartment
of your fridge.

Warm it up by keeping the bag in your side pants pocket for 15 minutes
before you use it.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:47:29 GMT, "peter" wrote:

Most of the krazy glue I bought dry out after one or two use.

Has anyone found a way to prevent krazy glue from drying out?

Keep it in the fridge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
peter wrote:
Most of the krazy glue I bought dry out after one or two use.

Has anyone found a way to prevent krazy glue from drying out?

Put it in a tied off plastic bag and keep it in the freezer compartment
of your fridge.

Warm it up by keeping the bag in your side pants pocket for 15 minutes
before you use it.

HTH,

Jeff

For some reason, putting a tube of Krazy Glue in my side pants pocket
just does NOT seem like something I would like to do. :-)

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

IGot2P wrote in :

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
peter wrote:
Most of the krazy glue I bought dry out after one or two use.

Has anyone found a way to prevent krazy glue from drying out?

Put it in a tied off plastic bag and keep it in the freezer compartment
of your fridge.

Warm it up by keeping the bag in your side pants pocket for 15 minutes
before you use it.

HTH,

Jeff

For some reason, putting a tube of Krazy Glue in my side pants pocket
just does NOT seem like something I would like to do. :-)

Don

When it's still IN THE BAG?

(I'd use a ziploc bag.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Jul 20, 10:47 am, "peter" wrote:
Most of the krazy glue I bought dry out after one or two use.

Has anyone found a way to prevent krazy glue from drying out?

krazy glue hardens by hydrolysis, i.e. it reacts with water vapor. You
need to keep it in a dry environment. I keep mine in a coffee can in
the fridge, with a bunch of packets of that silica gel drier stuff. I
periodically take it (the silica gel) out and toast it in the toaster
oven for a while to dry it out. I save all the little packs that come
packed in everything including coffee these days, that say "do not
eat" on them, so i have enough to swap dry ones in for the old ones.
fridges and freezers are actually pretty humid, so keeping the glue in
there without the drier isn't the best idea. In fact, i probably
should keep it in a sealed mason jar or tupperware or something,
rather than a coffee can. I go through a lot of the little packs
because i keep garden seeds the same way.

If you can't find the little packages of silica gel, you can use
powdered milk, an old bio lab trick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

peter wrote:
Most of the krazy glue I bought dry out after one or two use.

Has anyone found a way to prevent krazy glue from drying out?

I actually have a tube that I've been using for about a year now. Look for
the tube with the "easy drop" (?) system. You pull the cap off and there is
a tip in the end of the tube that presses in. You simply press the tip
against what you are repairing and you get a small amount out automatically.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message
peter wrote:
Most of the krazy glue I bought dry out after one or two use.

Has anyone found a way to prevent krazy glue from drying out?

I actually have a tube that I've been using for about a year now. Look for
the tube with the "easy drop" (?) system. You pull the cap off and there
is a tip in the end of the tube that presses in. You simply press the tip
against what you are repairing and you get a small amount out
automatically.

I'll second that. I also find that keeping it in a zip-lock bag with as much
air as possible removed, in the freezer, greatly extends the lifespan once
the seal is broken. I get a couple of years out of them that way. Plus, I
never have to hunt for the silly thing.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

z wrote:
On Jul 20, 10:47 am, "peter" wrote:
[...]

Your advice is correct but water causes anionic polymerization:
http://chem.chem.rochester.edu/~chem421/anionic.htm
not hydrolysis. So, keeping dry is most important but also keeping cold
will slow down rate of polymerization.
Frank