storm doors; pella vs. larson?

Old July 21st 07, 12:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default storm doors; pella vs. larson?

OK, in this corner, going for $190: Larson Oxford storm door; wood
core, "dura tech" surface, brass expander (i.e. sweep, I assume),
"heavy duty" weatherstripping; also retractable screen and lock, but I
don't care about those.
And in the other corner, going for $196: Pella Olympia storm door, "1
inch thick solid core", concealed screws, "heavy duty" hinges, brass
sweep, 2 closers, "lifetime storm door protection plan", and or course
retractable screen and lock with lifetime finish guarantee.

So, which one would you buy?

If it makes a difference, I'm gonna make a stab at installing it
myself, since how hard can it be? I've posted the story of the last
time when I had the Sears crew install a storm door, and they sawed up
pieces of the door molding to shim out the oart of the latch that is
on the frame, to make up for the fact that they installed the handle
about an inch inboard of where it should go on the door, so I figure I
can do that well myself. So with sadness I note that the Pella is not
one of theirs with "express install" that "cuts installation time in
half".

Old July 21st 07, 02:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

On Jul 20, 6:53 pm, z wrote:
[...]

Both are quality doors, but I can only comment on Larson based on
experience. Over the years I have installed, made minor repairs and
fixed screens on many Larson doors. Even now, I have another one
waiting installation. Getting them installed and functional is a
breeze. Definitely within the competence scope of any DIYer, just read
the directions slowly and carefully before you start.
If you like the looks of the Pella better, buy it. Installations
likely aren't all that different. FWIW, I have used Pella windows
before (and probably will again) as their quality is top notch and
their doors are probably on a par with Larson. Good luck.

Joe

Old July 21st 07, 04:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"z" wrote in message
ups.com...
OK, in this corner, going for $190: Larson Oxford storm door;

And in the other corner, going for $196: Pella Olympia storm door, "1
inch thick solid core",

So, which one would you buy?

The one that looked the best to me.

If it makes a difference, I'm gonna make a stab at installing it
myself, since how hard can it be? I've posted the story of the last
time when I had the Sears crew install a storm door, and they sawed up
pieces of the door molding to shim out the oart of the latch that is
on the frame, to make up for the fact that they installed the handle
about an inch inboard of where it should go on the door, so I figure I
can do that well myself. So with sadness I note that the Pella is not
one of theirs with "express install" that "cuts installation time in
half".

I've probably hung over 100 doors. Some are easier than others, but if you
read the instructions, use care in measuring, you can do it. Take your
time, especially before cutting anything.