Calcium Chloride for my driveway

Old July 16th 07, 07:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Calcium Chloride for my driveway

Hey folks,

My driveway is fairly long and dusty. I'd like to put down some calcium
chloride to help hold the fines together and keep the driveway in better
shape, as they do with the local ( SE MI) roads here.

I can buy the stuff in chip form in50 lb bags. the county puts down the
stuff on the roads in liquid form though.
I was thinking I'd buy a bag or 2 and mix it with water and then put it in a
sprayer or pour it out on the driveway.

anyone done something like this before?
I've read that the liquid is often a 35% solution, how can I come close to
that same percentage when mixing my own?
any idea's on how to apply it? I've got a dinky weed sprayer, but that
would take forever....

thanks for you ideas

Dave

Old July 16th 07, 08:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Clark wrote:
"Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote in
:

Hey folks,

My driveway is fairly long and dusty. I'd like to put down some calcium
chloride to help hold the fines together and keep the driveway in better
shape, as they do with the local ( SE MI) roads here.

I can buy the stuff in chip form in50 lb bags. the county puts down the
stuff on the roads in liquid form though.
I was thinking I'd buy a bag or 2 and mix it with water and then put it
in a sprayer or pour it out on the driveway.

anyone done something like this before?
I've read that the liquid is often a 35% solution, how can I come close
to that same percentage when mixing my own?
any idea's on how to apply it? I've got a dinky weed sprayer, but that
would take forever....

thanks for you ideas

Why not spread the chips fairly evenly and water'em in? It'll get you to the
same point the county gets to.

Certainly won't ever get chipped form to dissolve sufficiently to spray
w/ anything other than a big nozzle...

If the driveway is of any size at all, would think going to need a lot
more than just a couple of 50-lb bags to make any real difference, though.

No experience, though, that would be _far_ too much expense for county
road here!

We use it (the solution) _in_ the tires w/ the water for anti-freeze and
ballast, not on the roads, though!

Old July 16th 07, 08:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Clark" wrote in message
[...]

see, now this is why God invented news groups. to give obvious answers to
clueless people,

I will give that a shot, thanks

Dave

--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Old July 16th 07, 10:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair

News groups were invented so that rude people could flame others
from the privacy of thier own home.

I was going to suggest mixing in a bucket, and use a flower
waterer for application.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50563547/Watering_Can.jpg

The chemical will likely react with the zinc coating, so rinse it
out immediately and leave the watering can upside down to dry.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote in message
. ..
:

Old July 16th 07, 10:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 16, 2:37 pm, "Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote:
Hey folks,

My driveway is fairly long and dusty. I'd like to put down some calcium
chloride to help hold the fines together and keep the driveway in better
shape, as they do with the local ( SE MI) roads here.

I can buy the stuff in chip form in50 lb bags. the county puts down the
stuff on the roads in liquid form though.
I was thinking I'd buy a bag or 2 and mix it with water and then put it in a
sprayer or pour it out on the driveway.

anyone done something like this before?
I've read that the liquid is often a 35% solution, how can I come close to
that same percentage when mixing my own?
any idea's on how to apply it? I've got a dinky weed sprayer, but that
would take forever....

thanks for you ideas

Dave

In fact, calcium chloride is extremely hygroscopic (attractive to
water
molecules). That's _why_ it's so often used to keep down dust- it
attracts atmospheric moisture, thus dampening surface.

Around here, highway crews have used plain flakes for many years,
to keep down project dust. In short oder, it's wet.

You'll find that it's hard to keep calcium chloride _dry_.

HTH,

Old July 17th 07, 03:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

On Jul 16, 1:37 pm, "Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote:
Hey folks,

My driveway is fairly long and dusty. I'd like to put down some calcium
chloride to help hold the fines together and keep the driveway in better
shape, as they do with the local ( SE MI) roads here.

And that's why you have so many rust rotted cars in your area. Calcium
chloride is quite corrosive but if your rolling stock is already
pretty rough, than go ahead and just sprinkle the chips down the
drive. The compound tries to suck up all the moisture from the
environment around it so it will turn lquid all by itself in no time.

I can buy the stuff in chip form in50 lb bags. the county puts down the
stuff on the roads in liquid form though.

Saves on manpower, sprayers don't clog up like spreaders do. Maybe
they add a rust inhibitor to it?

I was thinking I'd buy a bag or 2 and mix it with water and then put it in a
sprayer or pour it out on the driveway.

Don't bother...see above.

snip

Joe

Old July 17th 07, 09:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:37:41 -0400, "Zephyr" an address @ some place
..com wrote:

Hey folks,

My driveway is fairly long and dusty. I'd like to put down some calcium
chloride to help hold the fines together and keep the driveway in better
shape, as they do with the local ( SE MI) roads here.

I can buy the stuff in chip form in50 lb bags. the county puts down the
stuff on the roads in liquid form though.
I was thinking I'd buy a bag or 2 and mix it with water and then put it in a
sprayer or pour it out on the driveway.

anyone done something like this before?
I've read that the liquid is often a 35% solution, how can I come close to
that same percentage when mixing my own?
any idea's on how to apply it? I've got a dinky weed sprayer, but that
would take forever....

thanks for you ideas

Dave

I'm in Texas where we only use it in tires for ballast. My
recommendation is to water your drive and THEN spread the calcium
chloride. If you add water to a bucket of calcium chloride, it will
get extremely hot; possibly boil over. Always add the calcium chloride
to the water.

--Andy Asberry--