Fogger in the attic - is that OK?

Old July 8th 07, 05:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fogger in the attic - is that OK?

I have a problem with ants coming from the attic, it seems they are coming
from the outside flower bed and up the gutter and somewhere got in through
the fascia into the attic and down some walls. Using Terro provided some
control in some spots but they kept coming.

I am going to spray Termidor outside the wall to stop further intrusion, but
was wondering about the population up in the attic, can I get one of those
Raid Fogger:

http://www.killsbugsdead.com/fogger/

and throw it into the attic? I am concerned with the fumes coming through
the ceiling at spots that are not sealed such as ceiling lights, AC vents
covers, attic hatches etc...those are closed off but not air tight...just
not sure if there should be big concerns. The instructions say you can air
it out two hours later if applied to a room, but for an attic it has to
naturally air out via the vents.

Thanks,

MC

Old July 8th 07, 05:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 12:27 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

What kind of vents do you have in the attic? Can you put a mount a
fan, like a window fan, near one or more vents to exhaust the air?

Open the windows in any rooms that the fog may have seeped into, turn
on the fans, and let the air flow clear the air.

Old July 8th 07, 06:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

If possible, close up all the windows in the house except one. Install
a simple box fan pulling air INTO the house. The positive pressure
inside will keep the chemicals from drifting in thru any leaks. Let
this run for a few hours 'till everything upstairs has settled, then
remove the fan & close the window.

Old July 8th 07, 07:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I've used these foggers in the house and in the crawlspace under the house.
You can't ust "throw" it into the attic, it must be placed upright.
I do mine on a day when we are going to be away for the day, at least 6 or
more hours. That gives it lots of time to clear out of the air. Since the
attic is not living space I would not be overly concerned about it airing
out. If you have an access to the attic from the oitside such as a hatch of
some sort the natural convection this time of year will provide decent air
flow up into the attic and out the vents.

Charlie

Old July 8th 07, 08:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

__ Bob __ wrote:
If possible, close up all the windows in the house except one. Install a
simple box fan pulling air INTO the house. The positive
pressure inside will keep the chemicals from drifting in thru any
leaks. Let this run for a few hours 'till everything upstairs has
settled, then remove the fan & close the window.

I like that suggestion .

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old July 9th 07, 03:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Lar

MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

The ants are starting (nesting?) in flower beds then traveling up the
side of the house getting into the attic then finding their way inside?
Just treat the starting point and nothing else would be needed. The ants
finding their way inside are just foraging for food. The termidor is a
good long term treatment for all ant species and if you did nothing but
that you would get rid of the activity just not instantly. If you
decide to use a fogger in the attic, you can't throw it up there it will
need to be placed upright...only use one, and keep it at least 6 feet
from any pilot lights. Chances are the fogger would be a waste even if
the ants were nesting in the attic, since they would probably be under
the insulation away from where the "fog" would be.

Lar
Old July 9th 07, 03:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"__ Bob __" wrote in message
MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

That's a great idea. Thanks!

MC

Old July 9th 07, 05:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 14:24:49 -0400, "Charlie Bress"
wrote:

I've used these foggers in the house and in the crawlspace under the house.
You can't ust "throw" it into the attic, it must be placed upright.
I do mine on a day when we are going to be away for the day, at least 6 or
more hours. That gives it lots of time to clear out of the air. Since the
attic is not living space I would not be overly concerned about it airing
out. If you have an access to the attic from the oitside such as a hatch of
some sort the natural convection this time of year will provide decent air
flow up into the attic and out the vents.

Charlie

I distinctly remember an experiment on TV's Mythbusters. They were
checking out a newspaper report that a family had set of one too many
fogger bombs inside the house. The gas buildup ignited and blew up
the house.. It took Mythbusters quite a few tries but the test house
(a real building) did eventually blow up. The "bomb" does use
ignition to generate the fumes. In that case you should perhaps take
the extra precaution that the bomb be placed inside a fireproof metal
container before leaving it to fumigate your attic.

Attic Fan, Whole House Fan, Pressurizing Attic? Scott Townsend Home Repair 3 August 26th 09 04:30 PM
Would you go into the attic? JerryL Home Repair 33 September 4th 05 04:57 PM
Hot attic AL Home Repair 11 July 17th 05 06:38 PM
Attic mold issue revisited - 105 degree attic temperature today jeff Home Repair 7 March 31st 04 03:24 AM
Attic mold issue revisited - 105 degree attic temperature today jeff Home Ownership 3 March 30th 04 06:21 PM