Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slope ratios

Every single place on-line that I can find that describes a slope ratio
defines it as the ratio of drop to horizontal distance (rise-to-run
ratio), and then gives an example of the exact opposite--for example, a
2:1 slope ratio is illustrated by a one foot rise for a two-foot run. Is
it that there was a mistake in one landscaping textbook 50 years ago
that got perpetuated, so that now everyone in the landscaping business
is confused?
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.roofhelp.com/roof_slope.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Harlan Messinger wrote:

Every single place on-line that I can find that describes a slope ratio
defines it as the ratio of drop to horizontal distance (rise-to-run
ratio), and then gives an example of the exact opposite--for example, a
2:1 slope ratio is illustrated by a one foot rise for a two-foot run. Is
it that there was a mistake in one landscaping textbook 50 years ago
that got perpetuated, so that now everyone in the landscaping business
is confused?

That's as good a hypothesis as any. I know my landscaper is confused
about the topic, and consults me on every new job design. Something
about math eludes people.

Back in the stone age when I took a research class in college, the story
was told of a fairly prominent researcher who had sought at length in
vain for a particular statistic. It was the only piece of data lacking
in his otherwise complete paper. So, he made up a number. Fifty years
later, still considered a definitive authority on the subject matter,
his fictitious number was still being quoted by others.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF SJF is offline

"Harlan Messinger" wrote in message
Every single place on-line that I can find that describes a slope ratio
defines it as the ratio of drop to horizontal distance (rise-to-run
ratio), and then gives an example of the exact opposite--for example, a
2:1 slope ratio is illustrated by a one foot rise for a two-foot run. Is
it that there was a mistake in one landscaping textbook 50 years ago that
got perpetuated, so that now everyone in the landscaping business is
confused?

In civil engineering, earth slopes are described as 1-1/2:1, 2:1, 3/1, 4:1,
etc. This means one foot of rise in the stated number of feet. Perhaps
there has been a mistaken use of terminology from one field (earthwork
construction, for example) used in another field such as carpentry where
other expressions are customary.

SJF

Slippery slope David Woodworking 6 January 14th 06 04:34 AM
Walkway slope Wayne Whitney Home Repair 3 October 12th 05 02:17 PM
Gutter slope? Robertm Home Repair 4 October 4th 05 03:19 AM
gas oil mixture ratios Tim C. Home Repair 14 March 30th 05 05:11 PM
How much slope should I put in a roof? Gunner Metalworking 20 January 27th 05 03:09 AM