Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PVC conduit fittings outdoors?

Is it kosher according to the NEC to use such PVC conduit fittings as
pull elbows and LB conduit bodies outdoors on a 220-volt circuit? The
ones I have are not marked as being suitable for wet locations. Are
there some that are so marked?

If I can't use such fittings, how do I make 90-degree bends and T-joints
and also route conduit through a (wood) fence from one side to the other?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Yes, PVC and it's associated fittings can be used in wet locations. Be sure
the conductors you use inside the PVC are rated for wet locations as well

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Is it kosher according to the NEC to use such PVC conduit fittings as pull
elbows and LB conduit bodies outdoors on a 220-volt circuit? The ones I
have are not marked as being suitable for wet locations. Are there some
that are so marked?

If I can't use such fittings, how do I make 90-degree bends and T-joints
and also route conduit through a (wood) fence from one side to the other?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 4, 1:05 pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
Is it kosher according to the NEC to use such PVC conduit fittings as
pull elbows and LB conduit bodies outdoors on a 220-volt circuit? The
ones I have are not marked as being suitable for wet locations. Are
there some that are so marked?

If I can't use such fittings, how do I make 90-degree bends and T-joints
and also route conduit through a (wood) fence from one side to the other?

Perce

Any borg or electrical supply house will carry PVC conduit
specifically designed for exterior use. It'll be UF rated, water
proof, etc. It's usually grey. Look in the electrical section of a
borg, not the plumbing section. T'hey'll also have all the fittings
and connectors you need, including connectors that will allow you to
make turns and to connect the PVC to metal boxes. You'll need to pick
up special glue for this type of PVC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/04/07 01:22 pm DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jul 4, 1:05 pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
Is it kosher according to the NEC to use such PVC conduit fittings as
pull elbows and LB conduit bodies outdoors on a 220-volt circuit? The
ones I have are not marked as being suitable for wet locations. Are
there some that are so marked?

If I can't use such fittings, how do I make 90-degree bends and T-joints
and also route conduit through a (wood) fence from one side to the other?

Any borg or electrical supply house will carry PVC conduit
specifically designed for exterior use. It'll be UF rated, water
proof, etc. It's usually grey. Look in the electrical section of a
borg, not the plumbing section. T'hey'll also have all the fittings
and connectors you need, including connectors that will allow you to
make turns and to connect the PVC to metal boxes. You'll need to pick
up special glue for this type of PVC.

I have the ordinary grey "Carlon" brand PVC conduit and fittings I was
intending to use (and the primer and cement), but then I read a claim
that for use in "wet locations" (which surely includes anywhere outside
-- but also underground, I understand) the fittings must be so marked.
The diecast metal outlet boxes I bought *are* so marked, so that made me
think that the other fittings are *not* OK for outdoor use.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

I have the ordinary grey "Carlon" brand PVC conduit and fittings I was
intending to use (and the primer and cement), but then I read a claim
that for use in "wet locations" (which surely includes anywhere outside
-- but also underground, I understand) the fittings must be so marked.
The diecast metal outlet boxes I bought *are* so marked, so that made me
think that the other fittings are *not* OK for outdoor use.

If they are exterior-rated, that would normally be expected to be noted
if there is any actual rating stamped on them. How are they marked? Is
there a part number to verify against?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/04/07 01:49 pm dpb wrote:

I have the ordinary grey "Carlon" brand PVC conduit and fittings I was
intending to use (and the primer and cement), but then I read a claim
that for use in "wet locations" (which surely includes anywhere
outside -- but also underground, I understand) the fittings must be so
marked. The diecast metal outlet boxes I bought *are* so marked, so
that made me think that the other fittings are *not* OK for outdoor use.

If they are exterior-rated, that would normally be expected to be noted
if there is any actual rating stamped on them. How are they marked? Is
there a part number to verify against?

They have the Carlon and UL logos. The covers of the pull elbows are
marked '3/4" PULL ELBOW' and 'E990-E'; they have a synthetic rubber
gasket the same size as the cover. The LB conduit bodies are marked on
the inside with "PVC", the volume and the conductor capacity; they have
a sealing ring around the edge of the cover; a sticker on the outside
has "E983E" and the UPC bar code.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 07/04/07 01:49 pm dpb wrote:

[...]

I don't have the Carlon catalog memorized ( ) -- look 'em up if
you're uncertain. Sounds like they would most likely be exterior-rated
from the description.

Brass Compression Fittings,Fittings for Pex-Al-Pex good price valvetom Home Repair 1 November 27th 06 06:20 PM
Blocked Conduit - Need to See in 3/4" Conduit - Fibre optic Camera? Scott Townsend Home Repair 15 October 15th 06 06:35 PM
Outdoors TV b Electronics Repair 5 July 7th 06 05:23 PM
Terminology needed - conduit and fittings S. Shaw Home Repair 7 October 18th 05 09:26 PM
1950s conduit and modern electrical fittings Hamish UK diy 5 October 7th 03 10:13 AM