A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » Home Repair
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Remove Graffiti from Unfinished Wood Fence



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 2nd 07, 04:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default Remove Graffiti from Unfinished Wood Fence

Hello,
A few weeks ago we had some graffiti thown up on our back fence. A
guy at home depot suggested some mild spray used specifically for
graffiti but it didn't say anything about removal from wood so I
picked up some lacquer thinner as well. The thinner worked ok, but
not what I was hoping for. The paint now looks faded, but still
definitely visible. Not sure if there are any other chemicals I could
use or if I should go straight for the sand paper.

Any thoughts on how to remove the spray paint from unfinished wood
would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Ads
  #2  
Old July 2nd 07, 04:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,834
Default Remove Graffiti from Unfinished Wood Fence


wrote in message

Any thoughts on how to remove the spray paint from unfinished wood
would be very helpful.


Paint remover and/or sanding. Once paint or other liquids get into
unfinished wood, it can soak into the pores and never come out.


  #4  
Old July 2nd 07, 05:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 454
Default Remove Graffiti from Unfinished Wood Fence

Pressure washer with capabiliy of adding chemicals to water stream.
Like a tank, or such. Add about 1 lb. of ordinary househld baking soda
to two gallons of hot water in tank.(Or use 5 lb. to 5 gallons in ank.)
Introduce that solution into water stream and clean with the pressure
washer. Sometmes a good foamy dgreaser along with the baking
soda slution helps.

The baking soda does not ully dissolve, and has a mild granular
abrasive action.

Its important to do ths soon after the graffiti is applied.

Longer you wait, the harder it is to remove.

I do this (graffiti removal) with a local group of volunteers in
our parks, where so many "artistes" trash stuff.




wrote:
Hello,
A few weeks ago we had some graffiti thown up on our back fence. A
guy at home depot suggested some mild spray used specifically for
graffiti but it didn't say anything about removal from wood so I
picked up some lacquer thinner as well. The thinner worked ok, but
not what I was hoping for. The paint now looks faded, but still
definitely visible. Not sure if there are any other chemicals I could
use or if I should go straight for the sand paper.

Any thoughts on how to remove the spray paint from unfinished wood
would be very helpful.

Thanks.

  #5  
Old July 2nd 07, 08:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair
mm
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,843
Default Remove Graffiti from Unfinished Wood Fence

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 15:03:40 -0000, wrote:

Hello,
A few weeks ago we had some graffiti thown up on our back fence. A
guy at home depot suggested some mild spray used specifically for
graffiti but it didn't say anything about removal from wood so I
picked up some lacquer thinner as well. The thinner worked ok, but
not what I was hoping for. The paint now looks faded, but still
definitely visible. Not sure if there are any other chemicals I could
use or if I should go straight for the sand paper.

Any thoughts on how to remove the spray paint from unfinished wood
would be very helpful.


Pressure washer. My next door neighbor did this -- I don't know if he
added chemicals or not -- and I watched and it came right off. Took
10 minutes or so. Although there

I agree that this with you 100% but ftr my n'bor waited months. Of
course the fence was wood. It was an almost new peeled picket fence,
where the outside face is shaped like a parentheis, and not smooth.
Sanding would not have gotten low spots.

Be careful where you point the pressure washer. They're dangerous.
And even be careful on the wood until you know what will take off too
much would and what won't. My n'bor didn't seem to have problems but
his fence was almost new.


BTW, the stockade fence is a few years old now, and one can see
betweeen the pickets. Does that mean they didn't age the pickets like
they should have?

  #6  
Old July 2nd 07, 08:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,945
Default Remove Graffiti from Unfinished Wood Fence

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:10:58 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

I do this (graffiti removal) with a local group of volunteers in
our parks, where so many "artistes" trash stuff.


All of this unfinished wood fences and power washing?

Power washers are dangerous around wood; if, allowed in the wrong
hands.
--
Oren

"My doctor says I have a malformed public-duty gland
and a natural deficiency in moral fiber, and that I am therefore
excused from saving Universes."
  #7  
Old July 2nd 07, 09:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 454
Default Remove Graffiti from Unfinished Wood Fence

Oren wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:10:58 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:


I do this (graffiti removal) with a local group of volunteers in
our parks, where so many "artistes" trash stuff.



All of this unfinished wood fences and power washing?


Benches with stained wood boards; sign posts, wood, stained with painted
lettering.

Power washers are dangerous around wood; if, allowed in the wrong
hands.


Not really. No more dangerous than a router.
Takes about an hour to get trained by the Parks Department.
Stop by. We can always use extra hands.
--
Oren

"My doctor says I have a malformed public-duty gland
and a natural deficiency in moral fiber, and that I am therefore
excused from saving Universes."

  #8  
Old July 3rd 07, 06:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,945
Default Remove Graffiti from Unfinished Wood Fence

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 13:20:46 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

Stop by. We can always use extra hands.


In NV; according the Las Vegas Mayor, any graffiti with an
accumulative damage of $5,000.00 (over multiple incidents) is now a
Felony. Citizens can now call 911 if you catch a tagger in progress
(happens before dawn).

Recently one of the worst offenders was caught. They brag on the web
and the cops catch them. The Mayor promises to appear in court as the
victims advocate.

--
Oren

"My doctor says I have a malformed public-duty gland
and a natural deficiency in moral fiber, and that I am therefore
excused from saving Universes."
  #9  
Old July 3rd 07, 11:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 454
Default Remove Graffiti from Unfinished Wood Fence

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 13:20:46 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:


Stop by. We can always use extra hands.



In NV; according the Las Vegas Mayor, any graffiti with an
accumulative damage of $5,000.00 (over multiple incidents) is now a
Felony. Citizens can now call 911 if you catch a tagger in progress
(happens before dawn).

Recently one of the worst offenders was caught. They brag on the web
and the cops catch them. The Mayor promises to appear in court as the
victims advocate.



Way to go Oscar!

Oscar is a funny guy.

We were on opposite sides long, long, long ago when I was a federal
prosecutor
and Oscar was a defense lawyer.

He was tough, but his wrd or his representation in a court room or
in a negotiaion always meant something.

Not something I'd always say about some other lawyers from Boston,
New York or LA with similar clients.





 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to remove graffiti? miamicuse Home Repair 3 January 15th 07 04:30 PM
Help with Antique Unfinished wood care? [email protected] Woodworking 2 April 15th 06 10:47 PM
How to remove graffiti scratched and edged on glass? Jack Home Repair 11 October 30th 05 12:35 PM
Remove plaster stains from unfinished wood debaser Woodworking 6 December 14th 04 10:29 PM
Where to buy unfinished wood flooring - please help! ash_bayarea Home Repair 5 July 14th 03 04:44 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.