Posted to alt.home.repair
al al is offline

Default Where to place shed door?

Door is going to be on the 10 foot wall of a 10x8 shed. Are there any
practical considerations as to whether it's in the center of the wall
or offset to the side almost to the end of the wall? Would one
cofiguration result in a better use of available space? Thanks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

al wrote:
Door is going to be on the 10 foot wall of a 10x8 shed. Are there any
practical considerations as to whether it's in the center of the wall
or offset to the side almost to the end of the wall? Would one
cofiguration result in a better use of available space? Thanks...

Seems it would depend entirely on what you use the space for, what kind
of door and how it opens. If you use it as a shop, you don't want the
door to hit you if someone else enters. If you have a monster lawn
tractor to drive in, then perhaps the door should be at the end where
you park it. Hanging, sliding door might give you more useable space.
Posted to alt.home.repair

al wrote on 28 Jun 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

Door is going to be on the 10 foot wall of a 10x8 shed. Are there any
practical considerations as to whether it's in the center of the wall
or offset to the side almost to the end of the wall? Would one
cofiguration result in a better use of available space? Thanks...

Put it in the middle. If you put it to one side, the 8' wall just in front
of the door is less usable. You'll also have to put a turn in the center
aisle to get to the back corner.

--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair
al al is offline

Thanks for the comments.

It has a 48" outswing door and will be used for storing garden tools,
push lawnmower, step ladder and assorted other things that have no
place else to go. If there's a hurricane, porch chairs would go in
there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have an 8x8 garden shed, soon to be replaced by a 12x22 minibarn. The 48"
door of the shed is centered, and I believe that is the most efficient
arrangement.

FWIW, the minibarn will have a 5' door centered along the long wall, with
"loft" door on one gable end.

IMO, centered is more aesthetically pleasing as well.

-Steve

"al" wrote in message
oups.com...
Door is going to be on the 10 foot wall of a 10x8 shed. Are there any
practical considerations as to whether it's in the center of the wall
or offset to the side almost to the end of the wall? Would one
cofiguration result in a better use of available space? Thanks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

al wrote:
Door is going to be on the 10 foot wall of a 10x8 shed. Are there
any practical considerations as to whether it's in the center of
the wall or offset to the side almost to the end of the wall?
Would one cofiguration result in a better use of available space?
Thanks...

In swing or out swing?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

al wrote:
Thanks for the comments.

It has a 48" outswing door and will be used for storing garden
tools, push lawnmower, step ladder and assorted other things that
have no place else to go. If there's a hurricane, porch chairs
would go in there.

In that case, center.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Jun, 12:41, al wrote:
Thanks for the comments.

It has a 48" outswing door and will be used for storing garden tools,
push lawnmower, step ladder and assorted other things that have no
place else to go.

- - If there's a hurricane, porch chairs would go in there.

I don't live in hurricane country, but that last statement just sounds
wierd to me. With all the newsclips of hurricane damage that we see,
the visual of you calmly storing your porch chairs as cows, cars and
rooftops go flying past is pretty strange.

I assume that the shed itself will be built to withstand hurricane
force winds. Otherwise, what's the point of storing the chairs in
there?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 28 Jun, 12:41, al wrote:
Thanks for the comments.

It has a 48" outswing door and will be used for storing garden tools,
push lawnmower, step ladder and assorted other things that have no
place else to go.

- - If there's a hurricane, porch chairs would go in there.

I don't live in hurricane country, but that last statement just sounds
wierd to me. With all the newsclips of hurricane damage that we see,
the visual of you calmly storing your porch chairs as cows, cars and
rooftops go flying past is pretty strange.

I assume that the shed itself will be built to withstand hurricane
force winds. Otherwise, what's the point of storing the chairs in
there?

Perhaps you haven't lived where the wind blows regularly...

It can blow sufficiently hard enough to blow stuff like lawn chairs,
trash cans, etc., around sufficiently that putting them inside is wise
long before even a small shed will actually be destroyed...living in W
KS despite no hurricanes, I can fully comprehend the concept.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
al wrote:

Door is going to be on the 10 foot wall of a 10x8 shed. Are there any
practical considerations as to whether it's in the center of the wall
or offset to the side almost to the end of the wall? Would one
cofiguration result in a better use of available space? Thanks...

I'm pretty happy with my door placement on my 8 x 12 shed. Door starts
two feet from one end of the long wall. That gives me nice shelving
along the short wall near the door, and good storage for a variety of
larger items elsewhere. I think it depends on what you're putting in
there, but I don't think the centered door is as aesthetically pleasing
or as functional for a typical storage shed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

al wrote:
Door is going to be on the 10 foot wall of a 10x8 shed. Are there any
practical considerations as to whether it's in the center of the wall
or offset to the side almost to the end of the wall? Would one
cofiguration result in a better use of available space? Thanks...

Put it over to one side. Then if you have to run a long ladder through the
opening, you can stick more of it inside before you have to swing the back end.
It might make the difference between whether a long item fits inside or doesn't.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
al al is offline

On Jun 28, 2:41 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I assume that the shed itself will be built to withstand hurricane
force winds.

18 gauge G-90 (whatever that is) galvanized steel framing with a wind
bracing and hurricane clips and straps from the floor joists to the
roof and everywhere in between. Might be better built than my house.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

al wrote:
On Jun 28, 2:41 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I assume that the shed itself will be built to withstand hurricane
force winds.

18 gauge G-90 (whatever that is) galvanized steel framing with a wind
bracing and hurricane clips and straps from the floor joists to the
roof and everywhere in between. Might be better built than my house.

What keeps the whole thing from just flying away intact, though?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:10:44 -0700, al wrote:

Door is going to be on the 10 foot wall of a 10x8 shed. Are there any
practical considerations as to whether it's in the center of the wall
or offset to the side almost to the end of the wall? Would one
cofiguration result in a better use of available space? Thanks...

If your door opens to the outside, it matters little.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I don't live in hurricane country, but that last statement just sounds
wierd to me. With all the newsclips of hurricane damage that we see,
the visual of you calmly storing your porch chairs as cows, cars and
rooftops go flying past is pretty strange.

Cows, cars, and the like don't go flying about in a hurricane.

The winds are steady at 74+ mph; one can walk around during a hurricane.
Lawn chairs and trash cans traveling at 80mph, are, however, a hazard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Door is going to be on the 10 foot wall of a 10x8 shed. Are there any
practical considerations as to whether it's in the center of the wall
or offset to the side almost to the end of the wall? Would one
cofiguration result in a better use of available space? Thanks...

On that size, it really wouldn't matter. Personally, I'd center it on the
ten foot side. This will keep a lot of wall space, and let you have a
straight shot to take items in and out.

Steve

shed door 51 UK diy 3 December 20th 06 05:04 PM
shed door 51 UK diy 0 December 18th 06 06:29 PM
Best place to buy non-warped door casing ? sm_jamieson UK diy 0 July 17th 06 01:06 PM
Shed Door Michael White Woodworking 0 January 9th 06 03:22 AM
Best place to buy wood front door? [email protected] Home Ownership 1 December 27th 04 04:38 PM