Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clear Plastic Hurricane Shutters

I was at BJ's Warehouse today and saw Clear Storm polycarbonate
hurricane corrugated panels. Aside from their dimensions including the
fact that they were 0.1 inch thick there wasn't any other information.

In my research on the web, I was not able to even find this brand of
shutter. There was no information with the panels in the warehouse
regarding whether these meet code requirements, wind resistance or
missile resistance.

Does anyone have any information about these panels?

Posted to alt.home.repair

boatdrinks wrote in
oups.com:

I was at BJ's Warehouse today and saw Clear Storm polycarbonate
hurricane corrugated panels. Aside from their dimensions including the
fact that they were 0.1 inch thick there wasn't any other information.

In my research on the web, I was not able to even find this brand of
shutter. There was no information with the panels in the warehouse
regarding whether these meet code requirements, wind resistance or
missile resistance.

Does anyone have any information about these panels?

I Googled "clear storm huricane panels" and got a lot of sites.
http://www.transparentprotection.com/

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 21:52:57 -0700, boatdrinks
wrote:

I was at BJ's Warehouse today and saw Clear Storm polycarbonate
hurricane corrugated panels. Aside from their dimensions including the
fact that they were 0.1 inch thick there wasn't any other information.

In my research on the web, I was not able to even find this brand of
shutter. There was no information with the panels in the warehouse
regarding whether these meet code requirements, wind resistance or
missile resistance.

Does anyone have any information about these panels?

These them? http://www.lookoutshuttersinc.com/

hth,

tom @ www.Donate-Car-2-Charity.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was at BJ's Warehouse today and saw Clear Storm polycarbonate
hurricane corrugated panels. Aside from their dimensions including the
fact that they were 0.1 inch thick there wasn't any other information.

In my research on the web, I was not able to even find this brand of
shutter. There was no information with the panels in the warehouse
regarding whether these meet code requirements, wind resistance or
missile resistance.

Does anyone have any information about these panels?

These them? http://www.lookoutshuttersinc.com/

hth,

tom @www.Donate-Car-2-Charity.com

I appreciate the input. I was also wondering if anyone knew about the
specific brand being sold by CostCo. The "Clear Storm" brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was at BJ's Warehouse today and saw Clear Storm polycarbonate
hurricane corrugated panels. Aside from their dimensions including the
fact that they were 0.1 inch thick there wasn't any other information.

In my research on the web, I was not able to even find this brand of
shutter. There was no information with the panels in the warehouse
regarding whether these meet code requirements, wind resistance or
missile resistance.

Does anyone have any information about these panels?

These them? http://www.lookoutshuttersinc.com/

hth,

tom @ www.Donate-Car-2-Charity.com

I appreciate the input. I was also wondering if anyone knew about the
specific brand being sold by CostCo. The "Clear Storm" brand.

Ahh..... I thought these guys made it? Click on their products link
to be sure.

tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

boatdrinks wrote in
ups.com:

wrote:

I was at BJ's Warehouse today and saw Clear Storm polycarbonate
hurricane corrugated panels. Aside from their dimensions including the
fact that they were 0.1 inch thick there wasn't any other information.

In my research on the web, I was not able to even find this brand of
shutter. There was no information with the panels in the warehouse
regarding whether these meet code requirements, wind resistance or
missile resistance.

Does anyone have any information about these panels?

These them? http://www.lookoutshuttersinc.com/

hth,

tom @www.Donate-Car-2-Charity.com

I appreciate the input. I was also wondering if anyone knew about the
specific brand being sold by CostCo. The "Clear Storm" brand.

Google turns up lots of info on this brand of shutter.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
MJ MJ is offline

On Jun 24, 12:52 am, boatdrinks wrote:
I was at BJ's Warehouse today and saw Clear Storm polycarbonatehurricanecorrugated panels. Aside from their dimensions including the
fact that they were 0.1 inch thick there wasn't any other information.

In my research on the web, I was not able to even find this brand of
shutter. There was no information with the panels in the warehouse
regarding whether these meet code requirements, wind resistance or
missile resistance.

Does anyone have any information about these panels?

You do not say where you are located. In Florida there are two sites
where you can view the engineering data for all "approved" products:
http://www.floridabuilding.org/pr/pr_app_srch.aspx
http://www.miamidade.gov/buildingcode/pc-search_app.asp

There are 2 or 3 different lexan panels on the market that I'm aware
of. Several sell these lexan panels under different names.

If you're in Florida, most areas require a building permit to install
shutters, one of the steps to get a permit is to submit one of the
'approvals' from above.

Note that lexan panels have a higher deflection than the corresponding
metal panels. This should be considered depending on the local code
requirements and your comfort level with the glass breaking behind the
panel.