Posted to alt.home.repair
al al is offline

Default What's "scuff sanding"?

Instructions that came with a primed steel door say to scuff sand
before painting. What's the best material to use for that? I'll just
be doing it by hand, no electric sander. Thanks...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

al wrote:
Instructions that came with a primed steel door say to scuff sand
before painting. What's the best material to use for that? I'll just
be doing it by hand, no electric sander. Thanks...

That's it -- just a light sanding to "scuff up" the surface slightly to
provide a good surface for bonding...80 to 100 grit good choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

I'd use 240 grit,80-100 will leave visible scratches,may even take off the
primer.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
al wrote:
Instructions that came with a primed steel door say to scuff sand
before painting. What's the best material to use for that? I'll just
be doing it by hand, no electric sander. Thanks...

That's it -- just a light sanding to "scuff up" the surface slightly to
provide a good surface for bonding...80 to 100 grit good choice.

I find a scotch-brite pad or similar does great for things like this.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
al al is offline

On Jun 23, 12:30 am, "Kate" wrote:
A clean, new scotch brite pad works beautifully for "scuffing"

Which one? What color pad? I'm guessing that the super fine would be
best/safest. Thanks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in
:

A clean, new scotch brite pad works beautifully for "scuffing"

Kate

and doesn't leave steel fibers to screw up your finish like steel wool
does.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

dpb wrote in :

al wrote:
Instructions that came with a primed steel door say to scuff sand
before painting. What's the best material to use for that? I'll
just be doing it by hand, no electric sander. Thanks...

That's it -- just a light sanding to "scuff up" the surface slightly
to provide a good surface for bonding...80 to 100 grit good choice.

--

I'd use 240 grit,80-100 will leave visible scratches,may even take off
the primer.

Correct.

Posted to alt.home.repair

al wrote in
oups.com:

On Jun 23, 12:30 am, "Kate" wrote:
A clean, new scotch brite pad works beautifully for "scuffing"

Which one? What color pad? I'm guessing that the super fine would be
best/safest. Thanks...

Don't the packages LIST the grit equivalent?

Or like some sandpapers,say coarse/medium/fine.(80-100/180-240/400-600)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steel wool, and a good tack cloth.

--
Steve Barker

"al" wrote in message
ups.com...
Instructions that came with a primed steel door say to scuff sand
before painting. What's the best material to use for that? I'll just
be doing it by hand, no electric sander. Thanks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use the red ones.

--
Steve Barker

"al" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 23, 12:30 am, "Kate" wrote:
A clean, new scotch brite pad works beautifully for "scuffing"

Which one? What color pad? I'm guessing that the super fine would be
best/safest. Thanks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought he was talking about a door, not a show car.

--
Steve Barker

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Kate" wrote in
:

and doesn't leave steel fibers to screw up your finish like steel wool
does.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in
:

I thought he was talking about a door, not a show car.

For wood,especially;finishes will show RUST spots from the steel fibers.
If you're gonna do it,do it right. The first time.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik