Cleaning Exterior Corrosion from Copper Pipes?

Old June 22nd 07, 03:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair
JB

Default Cleaning Exterior Corrosion from Copper Pipes?

I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

--Jeff

Old June 22nd 07, 04:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Steel wool is probably your best option. You'll probably be surprised that
it comes off pretty easy - not that much elbow grease involved!
I wouldn't use a drill or any other power tool. One slip and you could rip
a hole in the pipe and end you with a really nice shiny NEW one courtesy of
a plumber!

oups.com...

Old June 22nd 07, 02:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 10:35?pm, "Mark" wrote:
Steel wool is probably your best option. You'll probably be surprised that
it comes off pretty easy - not that much elbow grease involved!
I wouldn't use a drill or any other power tool. One slip and you could rip
a hole in the pipe and end you with a really nice shiny NEW one courtesy of
a plumber!

"JB" wrote in message

oups.com...

I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

--Jeff- Hide quoted text -

replace that section of pipe. so where is it exposed and causing
cosmetic troubles?

Old June 22nd 07, 02:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 10:35?pm, "Mark" wrote:
Steel wool is probably your best option. You'll probably be surprised that
it comes off pretty easy - not that much elbow grease involved!
I wouldn't use a drill or any other power tool. One slip and you could rip
a hole in the pipe and end you with a really nice shiny NEW one courtesy of
a plumber!

"JB" wrote in message

oups.com...

I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

--Jeff- Hide quoted text -

paint stripping pads clean copper well, espically the rougher ones. no
wires in foingers

Old June 22nd 07, 02:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

JB wrote:
I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

Getting it clean won't solve the leak and if it has a leak removing the
patina around the fitting will probably increase the rate of the leak.

Fix the leak first, then worry about the otherwise immaterial corrosion.

Old June 22nd 07, 03:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair
JB

--

The corrosion was due to a minor slow seepage from a 30 yr old
soldered joint. The water ran the length of the pipe for quite some

I'm not a "neatness nut" who just likes shiny copper! I'm getting
ready to put the house on the market and would prefer no flags by an
inspector due to obvious indications of a leak. A shiny pipe is
easier to explain than a badly corroded one!

Old June 22nd 07, 04:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

JB wrote:
I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

Try vinegar or (believe it or not) Coke. Same technique as corroded battery
terminals.

Old June 22nd 07, 04:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair
JB

On Jun 22, 10:33 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
JB wrote:
I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

Try vinegar or (believe it or not) Coke. Same technique as corroded battery
terminals.

Interesting idea. I'll try it. Diet or regular? :-)

Old June 22nd 07, 04:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

JB wrote:
On Jun 22, 8:30 am, dpb wrote:
JB wrote:
[...]

OK, one never knows on usenet the reason for a request so caution is
often advised...

I'd do a little maybe to knock any major stuff off then clean up the
area around the joint so it's clear it's no longer leaking and call it
good, myself, but if it makes you feel good, go for it!

Old June 22nd 07, 04:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

JB wrote:
I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

Try vinegar or (believe it or not) Coke. Same technique as corroded battery
terminals.

Interesting idea. I'll try it. Diet or regular? :-)

In place more of a mess than worth it imo. Got to make sure to clean up
every bit of the residue or the sugar/syrup will attract every ant in
the county plus it's sticky goo...yech!!

Can't be that hard to simply take some emery paper and go to it a
little. Might even scrape some of the worst first. As noted above, if
the point is to demonstrate the joint no longer leaks, the area at the
joint itself is sufficient for that purpose.

imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., etc., ...

corrosion of copper and/or aluminium with water softener and systemate2000 alan gent UK diy 0 November 24th 06 06:50 PM
Gluing copper pipes Jack Home Repair 13 May 29th 06 04:53 PM
Hydraulic Oil and Copper Corrosion (spindle oil) russell shigeoka Metalworking 3 April 21st 06 01:10 PM
fix copper-galvanized corrosion? [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 28th 05 02:06 AM
Plastic pipes v copper pipes! Vikki UK diy 11 November 26th 05 04:44 PM