DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cleaning Exterior Corrosion from Copper Pipes? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/204430-cleaning-exterior-corrosion-copper-pipes.html)

JB June 22nd 07 03:47 AM

Cleaning Exterior Corrosion from Copper Pipes?

I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

--Jeff

Mark June 22nd 07 04:35 AM

Cleaning Exterior Corrosion from Copper Pipes?

Steel wool is probably your best option. You'll probably be surprised that
it comes off pretty easy - not that much elbow grease involved!
I wouldn't use a drill or any other power tool. One slip and you could rip
a hole in the pipe and end you with a really nice shiny NEW one courtesy of
a plumber!

oups.com...

[email protected] June 22nd 07 02:16 PM

On Jun 21, 10:35?pm, "Mark" wrote:
Steel wool is probably your best option. You'll probably be surprised that
it comes off pretty easy - not that much elbow grease involved!
I wouldn't use a drill or any other power tool. One slip and you could rip
a hole in the pipe and end you with a really nice shiny NEW one courtesy of
a plumber!

"JB" wrote in message

oups.com...

I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

--Jeff- Hide quoted text -

replace that section of pipe. so where is it exposed and causing
cosmetic troubles?

[email protected] June 22nd 07 02:17 PM

On Jun 21, 10:35?pm, "Mark" wrote:
Steel wool is probably your best option. You'll probably be surprised that
it comes off pretty easy - not that much elbow grease involved!
I wouldn't use a drill or any other power tool. One slip and you could rip
a hole in the pipe and end you with a really nice shiny NEW one courtesy of
a plumber!

"JB" wrote in message

oups.com...

I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

--Jeff- Hide quoted text -

paint stripping pads clean copper well, espically the rougher ones. no
wires in foingers:)

dpb June 22nd 07 02:30 PM

JB wrote:
I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

Getting it clean won't solve the leak and if it has a leak removing the
patina around the fitting will probably increase the rate of the leak.

Fix the leak first, then worry about the otherwise immaterial corrosion.

JB June 22nd 07 03:59 PM

On Jun 22, 8:30 am, dpb wrote:
JB wrote:
I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

Getting it clean won't solve the leak and if it has a leak removing the
patina around the fitting will probably increase the rate of the leak.

Fix the leak first, then worry about the otherwise immaterial corrosion.

--

The corrosion was due to a minor slow seepage from a 30 yr old
soldered joint. The water ran the length of the pipe for quite some

I'm not a "neatness nut" who just likes shiny copper! I'm getting
ready to put the house on the market and would prefer no flags by an
inspector due to obvious indications of a leak. A shiny pipe is
easier to explain than a badly corroded one!

HeyBub June 22nd 07 04:33 PM

JB wrote:
I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

Try vinegar or (believe it or not) Coke. Same technique as corroded battery
terminals.

JB June 22nd 07 04:40 PM

On Jun 22, 10:33 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
JB wrote:
I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

Try vinegar or (believe it or not) Coke. Same technique as corroded battery
terminals.

Interesting idea. I'll try it. Diet or regular? :-)

dpb June 22nd 07 04:45 PM

JB wrote:
On Jun 22, 8:30 am, dpb wrote:
JB wrote:
[...]

OK, one never knows on usenet the reason for a request so caution is
often advised...

I'd do a little maybe to knock any major stuff off then clean up the
area around the joint so it's clear it's no longer leaking and call it
good, myself, but if it makes you feel good, go for it! :)

dpb June 22nd 07 04:49 PM

JB wrote:
I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

Try vinegar or (believe it or not) Coke. Same technique as corroded battery
terminals.

Interesting idea. I'll try it. Diet or regular? :-)

In place more of a mess than worth it imo. Got to make sure to clean up
every bit of the residue or the sugar/syrup will attract every ant in
the county plus it's sticky goo...yech!!

Can't be that hard to simply take some emery paper and go to it a
little. Might even scrape some of the worst first. As noted above, if
the point is to demonstrate the joint no longer leaks, the area at the
joint itself is sufficient for that purpose.

imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., etc., ... :)

DAC June 22nd 07 06:05 PM

On Jun 21, 8:47 pm, JB wrote:
I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

--Jeff

If you don't wan the little pieces of steel wool hanging around, use
the synthetic stuff...works just as well...and not as messy.

mm June 23rd 07 07:31 AM

JB wrote:
I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

Try vinegar or (believe it or not) Coke. Same technique as corroded battery
terminals.

Interesting idea. I'll try it. Diet or regular? :-)

Diet. Otherwise you'll have sugar residue.

Although I'm not capable of endorsing or opposing this idea. I used to
know what oxalic acid was good for, but I"ve forgotten.

dpb June 23rd 07 02:22 PM

mm wrote:

...I used to know what oxalic acid was good for, but I"ve forgotten.

One of most common uses is as a wood bleach/cleaner. It's the "active
ingredient" in many (most?) of the deck cleaners (other than those that
are advertised as "green")...

Joe the Plumber February 27th 14 02:44 AM

replying to Mark, Joe the Plumber wrote:
mws wrote:

Steel wool is probably your best option. You'll probably be surprised

that
it comes off pretty easy - not that much elbow grease involved!
I wouldn't use a drill or any other power tool. One slip and you could

rip
a hole in the pipe and end you with a really nice shiny NEW one courtesy

of
a plumber!
"JB" wrote in message
oups.com...

If it is Leaking? You Better Disconnect the Join clean if with Eroy Paper
and ReSolder it..
For it WILL Get Worse, not Better , just when you Don't want it too..

For ust Cleaning th eCopper Pipe? Same as your Car Battery Connectors

Plain Old Baka Soda and Some Water..
Then Start with a ToothBrush , then Scrub brush then a Wire Brush If
Needed..

If Going to Replace the Pipe? use the PVC..won't corroded anymore..

bud-- February 27th 14 04:51 AM

"JB" wrote in message
oups.com...

If it is Leaking? You Better Disconnect the Join clean if with Eroy Paper
and ReSolder it..
For it WILL Get Worse, not Better , just when you Don't want it too..

For ust Cleaning th eCopper Pipe? Same as your Car Battery Connectors

Plain Old Baka Soda and Some Water..
Then Start with a ToothBrush , then Scrub brush then a Wire Brush If
Needed..

If Going to Replace the Pipe? use the PVC..won't corroded anymore..

Because you did not respond in a timely manner to this 7 year old
thread, 5 years ago the leak got worse and filled the basement. The OP
did not notice, and when he went down to the basement he drowned.

A timely reply would have saved a life.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] February 27th 14 01:57 PM

"JB" wrote in message
oups.com...

If it is Leaking? You Better Disconnect the Join clean if with Eroy Paper
and ReSolder it..
For it WILL Get Worse, not Better , just when you Don't want it too..

For ust Cleaning th eCopper Pipe? Same as your Car Battery Connectors

Plain Old Baka Soda and Some Water..
Then Start with a ToothBrush , then Scrub brush then a Wire Brush If
Needed..

If Going to Replace the Pipe? use the PVC..won't corroded anymore..

Because you did not respond in a timely manner to this 7 year old
thread, 5 years ago the leak got worse and filled the basement. The OP
did not notice, and when he went down to the basement he drowned.

A timely reply would have saved a life.

I heard he used PVC pipe, which wasn't rated for the
pressure. Should have used Pex or CPVC. The white PVC
pipe blew up, and drowned him.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Tekkie® February 28th 14 02:07 AM

Cleaning Exterior Corrosion from Copper Pipes?

bud-- posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

"JB" wrote in message
oups.com...

If it is Leaking? You Better Disconnect the Join clean if with Eroy Paper
and ReSolder it..
For it WILL Get Worse, not Better , just when you Don't want it too..

For ust Cleaning th eCopper Pipe? Same as your Car Battery Connectors

Plain Old Baka Soda and Some Water..
Then Start with a ToothBrush , then Scrub brush then a Wire Brush If
Needed..

If Going to Replace the Pipe? use the PVC..won't corroded anymore..

Because you did not respond in a timely manner to this 7 year old
thread, 5 years ago the leak got worse and filled the basement. The OP
did not notice, and when he went down to the basement he drowned.

A timely reply would have saved a life.

Ya know I am stupid. I never look at at a posting date. I don't think I
even see old posts like this, maybe the newsreader makes it easy for me? I
can only hope as I bumble my way through life.

--
Tekkie

A Wong April 4th 14 01:44 AM

replying to DAC, A Wong wrote:
darwincam wrote:

If you don't wan the little pieces of steel wool hanging around, use
the synthetic stuff...works just as well...and not as messy.

Use water and then WD40 with old tooth brush , does the job

peter June 27th 15 06:44 PM

replying to JB, peter wrote:
jbxnyr wrote:

I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?
--Jeff

Jeff ITS a piece of cake - cut a lemon in half, pour on the cut lemon
common salt and rub it in so it dissolves. Rub it on pipe till it is
entirely clean and shiny. THEN mix bicarbonate of soda (baking powder) and
water and thoroughly rinse the area. The bi-carb neutralizes the corrosive
properties of the vinegar/salt, if it is exposed to the air for any length
of time, without neutralizing the acid first, it will quickly corrode
again. Cheers!

CountryGal July 15th 17 05:44 PM

Cleaning Exterior Corrosion from Copper Pipes?

replying to bud--, CountryGal wrote:
LOL

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-227572-.htm

Ed the plumber January 20th 18 05:44 AM

Cleaning Exterior Corrosion from Copper Pipes?

replying to Joe the Plumber, Ed the plumber wrote:
way to spell, plumber Joe

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-227572-.htm