Posted to alt.home.repair

Default repairing leak in pressure washer handle?

I have a jobmate pressure washer which has developed a hairline crack
in the shaft just after the trigger handle. It sprays water and
therefore loses pressure when using it.

The crack is about 2" long and the handle is made of some sort of hard
plastic.

I was wondering about how to repair it?

I was considering a piece of metal rounded to fit the curvature of the
rod where it is cracked and then maybe JB weld and hose clamps.

But I was then wondering if perhaps there is some sort of adhesive
which would actually dissolve and bond the two surfaces, or something
better than JB weld.

Any ideas on this one?

thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a jobmate pressure washer which has developed a hairline crack
in the shaft just after the trigger handle. It sprays water and
therefore loses pressure when using it.

The crack is about 2" long and the handle is made of some sort of
hard
plastic.

I was wondering about how to repair it?

I was considering a piece of metal rounded to fit the curvature of
the
rod where it is cracked and then maybe JB weld and hose clamps.

But I was then wondering if perhaps there is some sort of adhesive
which would actually dissolve and bond the two surfaces, or
something
better than JB weld.

Any ideas on this one?

It's hard enough to successfully repair a crack in regular plumbing.
If your part is cracked, it is unlikely there is anything you can do
that will make it stronger than it was when new. The plastic is either
stress fatigued, enbrittled from sun exposure or some such thing. It
will probably continue to crack no matter what you do.

If I had to do it, I'd probably try a few wraps of fiberglass cloth
saturated with epoxy resin. Wrap it when done with plastic wrap to
give a smooth finish and contain the mess untill cured. Sand the
surface first for grip.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 5:25 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

Its over 1000lb? so maybe nothing but JB weld did my radiator

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 11:36 pm, ransley wrote:
On Jun 20, 5:25 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

Its over 1000lb? so maybe nothing but JB weld did my radiator- Hide quoted text -

It is rated at 1500 PSI. I tried just a jb weld patch and it blew off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Abe Abe is offline

I have a jobmate pressure washer which has developed a hairline crack
in the shaft just after the trigger handle. It sprays water and
therefore loses pressure when using it.

It is rated at 1500 PSI. I tried just a jb weld patch and it blew off.

Time to buy a replacement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 6:56 am, Abe wrote:
I have a jobmate pressure washer which has developed a hairline crack
in the shaft just after the trigger handle. It sprays water and
therefore loses pressure when using it.

It is rated at 1500 PSI. I tried just a jb weld patch and it blew off.

Time to buy a replacement.

You may be correct, but I'll try the fiberglass or metal wrap and hose
clamps first. It is only cracked because it got dropped on the cement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My guess is there is nothing that will work. It may be cheaper to
buy an entire new pressure washer.

When I decided I needed a pressure washer, I bought a used
Craftsman electric from Ebay. The sprayer orifice was missing
from the wand. Sears Parts didn't list it, and the folks at the
Sears store had never heard of an electric Craftsman. Musta been
stone age equipment?

I got a new hose for $70 or so at Lowe's, and then find out that
the high pressure cut off switch on the Craftsman was bad.

Back online, and bought a Campvell Hausfield washer. I was able
to o some work with this PW, and made a few bucks with it. And
then the high pressure houssing cracked. It was black plastic
much as you describe.

I went on a search to find a useable presure washer. Finally
ended up at Home Depot, they had the only one which had a metal
housing for the high pressure. By this time, I'd spent about $200
plus on parts that didnt end up working. And so I spent another
$100 which is what I ought have done in the first place.

I still have the one from Home Depot, and am still pleased with
it. I use it now and again, and it has made me more money.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Abe" wrote in message
:
: It is rated at 1500 PSI. I tried just a jb weld patch and it
blew off.
:
: Time to buy a replacement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" writes:

I still have the one from Home Depot, and am still pleased with
it. I use it now and again, and it has made me more money.

I've had the Husky from HD for 4 years now.
Learned the first year to bring it inside during the winter.
(Leak in handle.)

Other than that, no problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:47:05 -0700, "
wrote:

I have a jobmate pressure washer which has developed a hairline crack
in the shaft just after the trigger handle. It sprays water and
therefore loses pressure when using it.

The crack is about 2" long and the handle is made of some sort of hard
plastic.

I was wondering about how to repair it?

I was considering a piece of metal rounded to fit the curvature of the
rod where it is cracked and then maybe JB weld and hose clamps.

Using the piece of metal, with the glue only above it and not below it
iiuc, seems to me likely to make it work less well.

Also PC70 might be stronger than JB weld. JB weld is too liquid.
With PC70 you can wrap a big piece all the way around the item. Make
sure everyting is dry, although were it not for the high water
pressure, PC70 will stick to wet surfaces, if it is kept there or
repeatedly pushed back on until it sets.