Zanussi Washer Dryer not drying

Old June 17th 07, 06:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Zanussi Washer Dryer not drying

Model no ZWD1470W. Dryer not working properly - although the air appears to
be heating slightly, it's nothing like as hot as it should be to dry the
clothes.

Any clues where to start looking great appreciated. I'm a competent BBC
engineer, but don't know anything about the insides of washing machines. I
guess there's likely to be a problem with either an o/c element or a
thermostat?

TIA,

Steve

Old June 17th 07, 08:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 17 Jun, 17:33, "Steve Roberts" wrote:

Model no ZWD1470W. Dryer not working properly - although the air appears to
be heating slightly, it's nothing like as hot as it should be to dry the
clothes.

Any clues where to start looking great appreciated. I'm a competent BBC
engineer, but don't know anything about the insides of washing machines. I
guess there's likely to be a problem with either an o/c element or a
thermostat?

TIA,

Steve

best place to look is outside at space for a washing line.

Or...http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Clothes_Dryer

NT

Old June 17th 07, 09:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 2007-06-17, Steve Roberts wrote:
Model no ZWD1470W. Dryer not working properly - although the air appears to
be heating slightly, it's nothing like as hot as it should be to dry the
clothes.

Any clues where to start looking great appreciated. I'm a competent BBC
engineer, but don't know anything about the insides of washing machines. I
guess there's likely to be a problem with either an o/c element or a
thermostat?

A fault I have seen on two washer-dryers (not your model, though) is in
the condenser/filter box (not sure what it is really called) on the
outlet as the outlet hose exits the case.

This box fills with lint, scale and other resudues over time. The air
and water flow during drying gradually reduces. Eventually the overheat
thermostat on the heater/blower operates and drying fails. If the
overheat themostat is self-resetting, drying failure is intermittent.

I have had success with just cleaning the rubbish out of this box.

You might want to check this. Also maybe check if the overheat thermostat
needs re-setting (or replacing); or check if the dryer heater element
has gone.

--
John Phillips
Old June 17th 07, 11:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"John Phillips" wrote
A fault I have seen on two washer-dryers (not your model, though) is in
the condenser/filter box (not sure what it is really called) on the
outlet as the outlet hose exits the case.

This box fills with lint, scale and other resudues over time. The air
and water flow during drying gradually reduces. Eventually the overheat
thermostat on the heater/blower operates and drying fails. If the
overheat themostat is self-resetting, drying failure is intermittent.

Thank you John, will check!

Steve

Old June 17th 07, 11:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote

best place to look is outside at space for a washing line.

LOL - thankfully we already have that backup option!

Or...http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Clothes_Dryer

Thanks - will have a read.

Steve

Old June 27th 07, 12:48 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Steve Roberts" wrote in message
Model no ZWD1470W. Dryer not working properly - although the air appears
to be heating slightly, it's nothing like as hot as it should be to dry
the clothes.

Just as a follow-up for other people, the problem turned out to be that the
plastic container/duct linking the blower on the heater manifold to the drum
was clogged up with wet, compacted lint.

I had to turn the machine upside down, undo the short, thick hose from the
translucent duct up the side of the machine, pop it off and then rod out the
lint out using a length of plastic hose attached to my Dyson vac with gaffer
tape. Took me about half an hour of trying to blindly force the hose into
all the various channels inside the duct before I was convinced that I'd got
most of it out. Once reconnected, all worked perefectly again.

The hose was an absolute pig to get back on, until I got the right
technique - then of course it took about five seconds! These modern machines
are *really* not designed to be serviced!

Steve

Old July 2nd 07, 12:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,
I've got a Zanussi wjd1667 w thats not drying and suspect
that its the condenser filled with fluff as well. Anyone any ideas on how to get at the condenser on one of these ?

tks. :?